Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 27

Author Topic: Vanilla Tea Mafia: TOWN VICTORY  (Read 55798 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vanilla Tea Mafia: Day One: A Hanging Scroll
« Reply #135 on: August 20, 2019, 10:13:29 am »

My vote is changed to Suoerdorf now, unvote 4mask

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 20, 2019, 10:23:54 am »

We've got another 48 hours until day end, so there's plenty of time for people to change votes before day end. When its about 12 hours to day end is when you should consider your vote to be a lynch vote.

NJW:
Persus: So far you've made some big posts and asked three (3) interesting questions, directed at two of the newest players. You're one of the most experienced players here. Is there a reason you're only pressuring weaker targets?
They're going to start getting pressure at some point in this game, and I wanted to see how they would respond to it now. Naturegirl is flailing around and didn't seem to be putting too much thought in their vote of me, and seemed eager to please without fully reading a post. As for Ion, his question is guaranteed to get rolefishing accusations (as proven by 4mask) and I was curious about his awareness of that fact.

NJW's Musings, a.k.a. Thoughts thus far: I'm irritated by the amount of random conversation about mechanics, words, etc.
Welcome to Mafia. D1 speculation about mechanics in a closed setup always annoys me to though.

This is just highly bizarre. 4maskedwolf didn't say this, as he proves in the post above mine. The only reason I can imagine for someone making this post is that they were scum, and were trying to gaslight town, but had forgotten that people can read previous pages of the thread. I have trouble believing someone would make that mistake, but it's the only sensible explanation I can think of.
I'd agree with you, if I hadn't seen new players flail around like this a thousand times before.

Naturegirl:
Quote from: Persus13
NatureGirl:
Ok
Persus13, since it seems like people voted for him already
Did you just read the bit in red of that post? What was that post trying to get you to do? What was your real goal here in voting for me?
4maskwolf advised a vote, you are right, I don’t find anything wrong with you, it was more the majority, it’s a bit suspicious urging votes when nothing happened yet
You didn't answer any of my questions. Can you please answer them?

Pooka: What are your thoughts on the game so far?

IonMatrix:
Great. I ask one question and now everyone is suspicious of me.
*ahem*
I think superdorf said that since this is day one, my questions don't have to be good (although I think my question doesn't really fit that description). Yes, I didn't put much thought into that question. I just asked that question to generate some discussion, though clearly I failed. I just get a little... twitchy when people don't post every second, sorry.
No need to apologize for asking questions. This is D1 and we don't have much to go on currently, so we're going for the little things that stand out to us. We'll have more to go on later. What are you suspicious of right now?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 20, 2019, 10:32:55 am »

I live
And hey, lots of new stuff to peruse! Looks like we had a... a bit of a misunderstanding? Hm.

Persus, 4maskwolf and Superdorf are arguably the strongest players here experienced in the bay12 meta.
I'm flattered. ^-^

Superdorf: do you think we are still in the RVS? Why/why not?
Has something happened?
Mm... I'm gonna say we're mostly free of RVS by now. The closest thing we had to an interesting case turned out to be mostly a wild goose chase... but we do now have a bunch of interesting player-interaction to look at. We can start making proper observations and whatnot on each other's behavior-- our questions don't have to be random anymore.

For instance: IonMatrix is really on edge for some reason, but isn't actually attacking anybody-- though there's a wealth of material for him to sink teeth into! Maybe he's just self-conscious town-- certainly I've done the same-- but all the same, the thing merits looking into.

IonMatrix
Great. I ask one question and now everyone is suspicious of me.
*ahem*
I think superdorf said that since this is day one, my questions don't have to be good (although I think my question doesn't really fit that description). Yes, I didn't put much thought into that question. I just asked that question to generate some discussion, though clearly I failed. I just get a little... twitchy when people don't post every second, sorry.

It's true. Your questions don't have to be all that great, at first. Lookit the stupid thing I asked NJW2000!
But... if you ask a sloppy question, yes, you're gonna get called on it. Remember, the purpose of the RVS is to generate material-- any material-- from which we can ferret out motives. We're gonna be voting the sloppy people, just because we don't have anything better to do!

Just answer the accusers, and get on with your scumhunting. If you do a good job of it, the RVS stuff won't matter...
...but you aren't doing that, are you? No, you're just playing small-and-scared, defending yourself, hoping to stay under the radar.

I don't trust that. I've done that, and I still don't trust it. Fling some mud about! Find a post you don't like, and attack it! You were so excited before we started-- take whatever excitement you had then and own it! Flail about-- yell at people-- and when the time comes-- go out in a blaze of glory!

It's way more fun that way. :D
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 20, 2019, 11:20:17 am »

Naturegirl:
Quote from: Naturegirl1999 on August 19, 2019, 05:56:13 pm
NatureGirl:
Quote from: Naturegirl1999 on August 19, 2019, 02:19:57 pm
Ok
Persus13, since it seems like people voted for him already
Did you just read the bit in red of that post? What was that post trying to get you to do? What was your real goal here in voting for me?
4maskwolf advised a vote, you are right, I don’t find anything wrong with you, it was more the majority, it’s a bit suspicious urging votes when nothing happened yet
You didn't answer any of my questions. Can you please answer them?
Reading the bit of red in what post? What are you asking about? I typed out your name in red when I voted. Are you referring to the post that voted you first? Are you referring to the post just before the post you quoted?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 20, 2019, 11:30:10 am »

I'm referring to the post you were responding to.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 20, 2019, 11:56:53 am »

I'm referring to the post you were responding to.
The post said this was random voting, so I voted majority, I unvoted when I realized bandwagoning isn’t a good idea

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 20, 2019, 04:52:34 pm »

Quote from: Superdorf
I mean. It's Mafia. I'm leery of everybody
but still.

"Mutagen"! Such a lovely word! I simply MUST have more mutagen!

*sigh* I can't believe I play this game...

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 20, 2019, 06:01:52 pm »

Quote from: Superdorf
I mean. It's Mafia. I'm leery of everybody
but still.

That... that is a thing I said, yes. I assume you're responding to this?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Anyway. Your recent words make me curious: have you played Mafia before? If so, how many games (if any) have you played as mafia, or as a hostile third-party?
Also, poke more people please. You're really not making yourself look good right now.

klonk
Sigtext

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 20, 2019, 06:27:54 pm »

I should practice what I preach. Let's start with this.

To the first question, about how voting would change if Perseus didn’t have votes on Nima.
I don’t know, maybe Superdorf? Lots of questions that possibly could be better answered later?

Naturegirl1999, I assume the above represents your reasoning behind

this vote. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)
Would you care to elaborate a bit? What questions have I asked that "possibly could be better answered later", and how do those questions make me scum?

klonk
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 20, 2019, 06:41:21 pm »

I should practice what I preach. Let's start with this.

To the first question, about how voting would change if Perseus didn’t have votes on Nima.
I don’t know, maybe Superdorf? Lots of questions that possibly could be better answered later?

Naturegirl1999, I assume the above represents your reasoning behind

this vote. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)
Would you care to elaborate a bit? What questions have I asked that "possibly could be better answered later", and how do those questions make me scum?
I vote for you rather than 4mask because of you mentioning RVS, not him. It was a mistake on my part. As for questions, we probably need to wait for things to happen, since we don’t have much to go on right now. Unvote

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 20, 2019, 06:51:40 pm »

I never really addressed 4maskwolf last night, or this morning. I should do something about that.
Alright, let's take it from the top.  And by "the top" I mean "reverse chronological order"
I am (for the time being) satisfied. Unvote.
It's getting late around here. I'll be looking at this with fresh eyes tomorrow.
Oh?  And what, pray tell, satisfied you.
Truth be told... I needed to be sleeping, those answers of Naturegirl's cemented her as either scum or noobtown-- hard to tell-- and I didn't want to go to bed with a vote laid down that I wan't confident in.

And uhh I have no idea how to even approach you, so I'm just gonna ask general stuff and see what happens.

I'm not going to dignify this with any response other than "don't follow the leader on asking lolrandom questions".
"Don't follow the leader", you say... welp, I assume I'm the "leader" there. How did you feel about that first "lolrandom question", the one I asked myself?

Would you say you're taking it upon yourself to tutor the newer of us in proper mafia play this game? Why or why not?
How do you intend to spend the rest of D1?
How does scum-you differ from town-you, if at all?

klonk
Sigtext

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 20, 2019, 07:09:32 pm »

I vote for you rather than 4mask because of you mentioning RVS, not him. It was a mistake on my part. As for questions, we probably need to wait for things to happen, since we don’t have much to go on right now. Unvote

Okay, that's a mistake I can understand. But... do you get that nothing will happen unless we make it happen? I don't care if you vote people right now or no-- it really doesn't matter all that much-- but without questions, what's going to happen?

Are you holding out for mechanical information? Nightkills and whatnot? Well guess what-- today's lynch is the first bit of mechanical information we're going to get. Somebody is going to die soon... and if we don't ask questions, that somebody is likely gonna be town.

Refraining from questioning people is not town behavior. It doesn't help our cause, and it certainly doesn't make you look good. Find your voice.
In the meantime, I have a question for you. Just out of curiosity: what would it take for you to put a lynchvote on somebody?

klonk
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 20, 2019, 07:47:06 pm »

I don’t know what questions to ask, and I don’t know what it would take to lunch vote someone. I don’t know what to ask. I’m new. I don’t think there is suspiciousness yet

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 20, 2019, 08:00:05 pm »

Mm-kay... new tack.

Look through some of the posts here, and ask yourself this question as you read: why is this person saying these things? Do that until you get an answer that isn't, "this person is trying to determine who is town and who is not." Then point out the offending section of post to the poster, and ask-- nay, demand-- clarification!

Repeat as necessary until you've found somebody consistently scummy.

klonk
Sigtext

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 20, 2019, 08:01:45 pm »

I never really addressed 4maskwolf last night, or this morning. I should do something about that.
Alright, let's take it from the top.  And by "the top" I mean "reverse chronological order"
I am (for the time being) satisfied. Unvote.
It's getting late around here. I'll be looking at this with fresh eyes tomorrow.
Oh?  And what, pray tell, satisfied you.
Truth be told... I needed to be sleeping, those answers of Naturegirl's cemented her as either scum or noobtown-- hard to tell-- and I didn't want to go to bed with a vote laid down that I wan't confident in.

And uhh I have no idea how to even approach you, so I'm just gonna ask general stuff and see what happens.

I'm not going to dignify this with any response other than "don't follow the leader on asking lolrandom questions".
"Don't follow the leader", you say... welp, I assume I'm the "leader" there. How did you feel about that first "lolrandom question", the one I asked myself?

Would you say you're taking it upon yourself to tutor the newer of us in proper mafia play this game? Why or why not?
How do you intend to spend the rest of D1?
How does scum-you differ from town-you, if at all?
Joke questions asked of yourself are fine, joke questions asked of others don't contribute to the game, which is what I was trying to discourage there.

Somewhat.  I'm always willing to answer general questions or provide general advice free from bias, although they'll by necessity be less applicable to the specifics of the ongoing game.  I'm honestly not a great mafia role model because I do a lot of dumb, low-odds shit that tends to explode spectacularly (and hilariously).

Doing dumb shit and trying to spark conversation, as I am wont to do.  You'll see in a moment.

I used to have what I called a "confidence tell".  For the first year or so I was playing mafia, I would act with a lot more confidence as scum, making accusations and stating plans with total confidence (because, obviously, I already knew what was what).  It sort of faded over time and was mostly applicable to the early stages of the game.  I also, again during that time period, played a lot more safe as town than scum, doing all sorts of wacky scum shenanigans but mostly sticking to standard strategies as town.  Again, this has almost entirely gone away.

It's been a while, so honestly I don't know what the difference was when I left or what it would be now.  Here, lemme ask someone else for ya.

Persus13: Since you didn't answer my first question, here's another RVS question: what's the difference, in your experience, between me as town and me as scum.

Alright now it's time for my typical bullshit.

I'm very confident that we have a cop this game.

PPE:

For naturegirl1999, and anyone else who feels it would be useful, here is the opening post of the most recent beginner mafia.  The OP includes, in spoilers, a bunch of useful information, including common scumtells, abbreviations, and some FAQs, alongside some links to more in-depth discussions of mafia-related topics.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 27