Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Will we customize our starting supplies?

Take a wisely-recommended pre-made loadout. Thank you kindly.
- 2 (20%)
We can do better by ourselves! Get in the wagon loser, we're going SHOPPING.
- 8 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21

Author Topic: Oregon Trail II: A vote-based play [THE GOOD SHIP TWELVEBAY]  (Read 16856 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Oregon Trail II: A vote-based play [THE GOOD SHIP TWELVEBAY]
« Reply #285 on: August 09, 2019, 01:04:35 pm »

It seems that the "dump no whiskey whatsoever" vote has won out.

We double-teamed and went straight up the mountain with no difficulty. This was exceedingly surprising to me.

Spoiler: Ironically though (click to show/hide)

After that, we came across a new and exciting health problem.

Now let me tell you about rocks. Rocks are immobile. They do not move under their own power. They are quite heavy, so even if they were inclined to to move themselves, it is unlikely that they would be able to do so. Also they lack legs.

Onward towards Oregon.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 01:06:24 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 09, 2019, 01:08:27 pm »

Soak the joint in alcohol, man. If it doesn’t work, at least he’d be drunk.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 09, 2019, 01:11:24 pm »

Soak the joint in alcohol, man. If it doesn’t work, at least he’d be drunk.

Apologies, I quick-edited it to preclude drowning our teammates to death in whiskey.

What a glorious way to go that would be, though. Better than Cholera.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 09, 2019, 06:48:11 pm »

We ran into a fork in the road, but it was sort of a non-decision. We had the option to head up to fort Walla Walla, which is literally nothing more than a long-ass loop that puts us basically back where we started, but let's you make a trip to Fort Walla Walla. As we have no money, I figured we could just move on.

Also, the temperature has been in the 50's/60's during the day, so at least we are not freezing for now. It's still early January so that's a nice break.

Spoiler: Oh_no.wav (click to show/hide)

Immediately afterwards, the temperature dropped back down to nine degrees. Also we have somehow eaten every single goddam pickle out of 150lb of pickles. We ate 150 lb of pickles in two weeks. What the hell are we.

That means we're out of fruits and veggies. Hopefully we can make it to the river before having to trade for healthy foods, since we have very little to trade that isn't essential.

Note: Urist Twelvebay has completely recovered within about two days. Sort of anticlimactic, but I choose to believe he's developed a resistance to injury via firearm.

Spoiler: The time has come (click to show/hide)

Down the river we go, where we stop, Cholera knows.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 09, 2019, 11:15:56 pm »

I look forward to the results of sailing down the river. This will be fun.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 09, 2019, 11:19:10 pm »

Dunamisdeos, I love your funny commentary on these bleak situations. I hope for more good material down the river.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 10, 2019, 02:30:22 am »

We'll be fine, we're THE RIVER MASTER!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 10, 2019, 04:32:51 am »

Hmm. The so called "dwarf" leading our party has developed a resistance to gunshot wounds. Most likely a combination of hardened bone structures and redundant organs. The creature was briefly wounded, but recovered fully after only a few days. Several barrels of pickles mysteriously disappeared, probably to replace lost biomass. I fear that attempting purification through traditional means is no longer possible.
Tomorrow we begin rafting down the Columbia. I will attempt to drown the dwarves...

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 10, 2019, 12:10:15 pm »

Hmm. The so called "dwarf" leading our party has developed a resistance to gunshot wounds. Most likely a combination of hardened bone structures and redundant organs. The creature was briefly wounded, but recovered fully after only a few days. Several barrels of pickles mysteriously disappeared, probably to replace lost biomass. I fear that attempting purification through traditional means is no longer possible.
Tomorrow we begin rafting down the Columbia. I will attempt to drown the dwarves...

"He declared in a cholera-crazed speech to the rest of the wagon train. And that's how we learned how many rocks it takes to-"

"Oh hello."

We are on the river now. Here's what our journey was like.

After each segment there was a rest on the shore, and one of them even had a fort with a shop that sold wagon wheels for almost 23$. That's like 300% inflation. It's like a concession stand at a theme park.

Spoiler: Fort Vancouver (click to show/hide)

Anyway the second part of the river was a bit more challenging.

The fort was after the second segment, mind you. We came then to the third, and final river segment.

But then, at the end of it all, we made it past the Columbia River. And as we exit the boat, around 20 year older for our experience, a unexpected sight greeted us.

Dunamisdeos, I love your funny commentary on these bleak situations. I hope for more good material down the river.

This sort of thing makes these sorts of things worth it, thank you.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 10, 2019, 12:48:24 pm »

I have enjoyed reading this all, thank you for doing it.

Also, we should get those playing cards, I miss my James Fever Powder and Daffys Elixir or whatever it was called.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 10, 2019, 12:50:50 pm »

How...?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 10, 2019, 12:57:51 pm »

How...?

Twelvebay can outsmart bullet.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 10, 2019, 01:24:15 pm »

In your opinion, how does the sequel compare to the original? Would you say it's better or do you think they made it too easy?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 10, 2019, 01:30:36 pm »

Great job! Both the game and the reporting!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 10, 2019, 01:39:02 pm »

In your opinion, how does the sequel compare to the original? Would you say it's better or do you think they made it too easy?

I think we made it through via very careful consideration and sort of a lot of luck. I was extremely careful to give us the best possible chance of everyone making it, even outside of vote choices. For instance, I routinely traded for fruits and veggies, since you can catch scurvy without. That said, even the original game wasn't impossible if you were really determined to win.

It's easier than the original though, for sure. The original would simply kill you instantly for a large number of it's events. This one has options for medicines and the like, for instance. I went back and played forward a few times to see what possible events could occur, since I made a few save files at towns and forts. For example I went back and played from winter onwards with no blankets at all, and had trouble making it more then 5m without 1-2 people freezing to death. I also intentionally chose poor options for things like hills and rivers, and this resulted in drownings and broken hips.

Basically the guide will help you know what to do, and ignoring it results in certain disaster. It's mechanics are less opaque is probably the biggest difference in difficulty.

All in all this is definitely more fun than the original to me.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21