Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Princes of Theodoro: An Alternate History Game (Turn 7)  (Read 3582 times)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
Re: Princes of Theodoro: An Alternate History Game (Turn 4)
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2019, 12:36:00 pm »

I think this is just rp for now ^^

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2019, 12:41:25 pm »

Dope, also I'll have to add a table of contents soon!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2019, 12:51:38 pm »

Papu raises an eyebrow. "What's all this talk of leavin' our Trebbie pals in the lurch, eh? They did good killin'! Let's be a'keepin' them on our good side, eh? We'll stomp 'em Gennervese flat, and they can pick through the leftovers, and we'll pick through the leftovers, and everybody's happy!" Papu leans back, chuckling to himself. "Exceptin' the Gennervese o'course."
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2019, 03:07:58 pm »

Turn 5: Summer 1302
1st Gothic-Genovese War

Previous Resolutions:
-- (Failed) There has been some debate about ending the war, but the Princes of Theodoro could not decide on a definitive course of action after the surprise capture of Caffa and the other Genovese colonies in the South of Gothia. Both Genoa and Trebizond are continuing as if the war is not yet over.

Foreign News:
-- Genoa hires several companies of Mercenaries totally 5000 men. They are delayed in reaching Vosporo due to administrative inefficiency. The total number of men Genoa could muster for their next campaign is currently 9000.

-- War continues to rage across the remains of the Byzantine Empire, who has regained a portion of Northeastern Anatolia.

Local News:
-- A triumphal arch is dedicated to the victory at Caffa. It is to be built near Doros' South Gate.

--5000 men are left at both Cembalo and Theodosia (Caffa) to garrison the cities against any major Genovese landings. The remainder of the Theodoran-Trapezuntine Army (roughly 26,000 men) winters in Kalamita, where they celebrate with a great feast.

-- It is the start of a new year! Roughly 1000 men have come of fighting age to replace the losses in our army. Due to the blockade, Trebizond is unable to send more troops to the Theatre.

UPDATES:

Factions:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Settlements:

Current Resolutions:

Resolution 1: Feeding Frenzy.
We have managed to capture almost the entirety of Genoa's army, and while they will doubtless find more men to pitch into the crucible of battle, the question of the 7000 prisoners remains. It is a rare sight to have captured almost an entire army along with its officers, and our senior officials are in doubt as how to proceed. Usually, captured men are either massacred or ransomed, but we have had to keep them stockaded in Theodosia and feed them from our now tenuous supplies--it is simply too much work to feed the equivalent of three armies off the labour of our land.

A.) Offer to ransom them back to Genoa on the condition they will not fight against us for five years. Many will rejoin the army of course, but we will be the richer for it.

B.) Attempt to ransom only the wealthier nobles and attempt to resettle any possible defectors, massacre the rest.

C.) Genoa has suggested no possibility of ransom. The prisoners should be massacred before they can revolt.

Resolution 2: The March East.
While the soldiery and junior officers of the combined Theodoran-Trapezuntine army have been enjoying their hard earned rest at Kalamita, the Princes of Theodoro and Trapezuntine commanders have been holding court in Doros. The Trapezuntines are pressing hard for a march to Vosporo before Genoa can regroup, but between the logistics of such a move, the blockade of Gothia, and the possibility that the Khans will be offended by the movement of armies through territory that is legally theirs presents a number of risks to both the strategic and long term security of the nation.

A.) They are, of course, right. We should take Vosporo before Genoa can regroup. Without any footholds on the peninsula they will be forced to capitulate.

B.) We should march on Vosporo, but we should negotiate with the Khans first. Our success at Caffa will carry the spirits of our men forward, let us not risk disaster by bringing the hordes down on us. Even it causes some (possibly expensive) delays.

C.) Out of the question! It is too risky. What if the Khans attack us while we are at war with Genoa? What if the Genovese feint around our rear and attack Kalamita? Such a commitment of men could cost us dearly.

D.) *because the Trapezuntines rolled really well earlier in the war* The Trapezuntine commander finally offers a comprise. What if we were to send just enough men to siege the city? We need not assault it as with Caffa, and we cannot starve them out. Let us simply make their situation untenable--Genoa will offer peace when the war becomes too unprofitable.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Princes of Theodoro: An Alternate History Game (Turn 5)
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2019, 03:32:18 pm »

Papu continues to demand blood!

Quote from: Votebox
Resolution 1
A - (X)
B - (1) Superdorf
C - (X)

Resolution 2
A - (1) Superdorf
B - (X)
C - (X)
D - (X)

klonk
Sigtext

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2019, 03:49:54 pm »

Resolution 1
A - (X)
B - (2) Superdorf, Ghazkull
C - (X)

Resolution 2
A - (2) Superdorf, Ghazkull
B - (X)
C - (X)
D - (X)

Prince Teja, follows shortly
And Papu is not the only one.

(changed my color because i can't see maroon))

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2019, 04:22:18 pm »

"We need not sink to massacres and brutality. It is one thing to slay men who have committed to do battle with weapons in hand. It is another to slay the surrendered and disarmed. Perhaps there can be another way."

Quote from: Proposal to the Court of Doros, Isaac Theodopoulos, 1302
...propose that the defeated commons of the Genovese army are to be held as bondservants for a period of five years or until the conclusion of the present state of War. Said bondsmen will then be divided amongst the nobility to serve as laborers, distributed so as to prevent the formation of a rebellion..

...profit from the labor of the indenturee will be divided, with 40% given to the entitled noble, 40% as forfeit to the government, and the remainder held in trust for the completion of the laborer's indenture. Those who have completed this period of service may choose to use the trust profit of their labor to secure passage to Genoa, or remain in the Noble Republic of Theodoro as a free...

...defeated army's noblemen and officers will be ransomed for profit.

Resolution 1, Option D -- Ransom the nobles and officers, make the remainder indentured laborers for 5 years, then give them the choice of staying as free, or being deported to Genoa.

"That being said...", says Isaac, searching the room for the scholar present to aid the court. "I require information on the diplomatic status of the northern Horde."

Avanti!

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2019, 04:25:44 pm »

I second the motion ofthe esteemed Prince, it is sound business and allows us to refrain from killing those who have thrown themselves unto our mercy

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2019, 04:42:40 pm »

UPDATE: Turn 5

Report on the Golden Horde:
Up until only a few years ago, the Mongol Empire stretched from beyond our maps to the East all the way to Rus lands in the North and Baghdad to the South. At their height, they were undefeatable--whole nations were burned. With the death of several Great Khans, the steppe warriors have lost their primacy. Most recently, the Empire has descended into civil war between four factions--but as all are equally matched and share few diplomatic interests, separation may seem inevitable. The situation as it is nearly precludes the assumption of all the titles of the Mongols by one Khan--in short, it is all but fractured.

As tributaries to the Mongols until recently, we know a little about their ways. They have proven to be fairly benevolent overlords, if submitted to, but thrive on raiding and plunder. Their cavalry is renowned worldwide and even fractioned as they are, the remnant to our North, the Golden Horde, make formidable foes indeed. However, they do possess some weaknesses--while their armies historically consisted of highly trained heavy cavalry, light cavalry, and auxiliary foreign infantry--the fracturing of their state has hampered them in fielding such impressive combined-arms forces.

Administratively, there is little we know for sure--there is a Khan and the land is divided primarily between two clans, one in the West near us and one in the East--they only cooperate in times of great importance. Other than that, few come or go from the court of the Khans, and even fewer are the diplomatic missions they send to other nations.

EDIT: Diplomatically, it is difficult to surmise their attitude towards us. Their have been almost no large raiding parties to cross our Northern borders for several years, and many warriors have left the only two settlements in the area. There was no response when Prince Theodahad ceased paying tribute to the Khans, and that was many years ago now. Unfortunately, the entirety of Gothia is a much more fertile land than than the Pontic Steppe just North of us, and its emptiness is bound to attract settlers soon or later--luckily the nomadic lifestyle of the Khans has so far limited that possibility.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 04:49:05 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

MonkeyMarkMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2019, 05:48:50 pm »

"Using the prisoners as indentured servants  is karma, Genoan labor helping win the war against Genoa. I like this idea. Keeping our flank secure is smart and if it is not necessary we can always send the troops to help with the siege."

Resolution 1
A - (X)
B - (2) Superdorf, Ghazkull
C - (X)
D - (1) MonkeyMarkMario

Resolution 2
B - (X)
C - (X)
D - (1) MonkeyMarkMario
My Forum game(s):
Hahaha, ya right

Any future games will be simpler in nature, I have a bad habit of biting off more than I can chew. Also hoping for more players in them.

I have Discord for my games now(not necessary to play, tho might be easier to contact me): https://discord.gg/DuaARAZ

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2019, 08:01:59 pm »

"Yer a soft one, Isaac," grumbles Papu. "Always have been... but mebbe that's how the world works now, eh? Mebbe we need a couple soft'ns around, eh? Keep the blood-eyed old fogeys in check!" Papu's chuckling again. It's hard to tell if he's serious or not. "Yes... nasty blood-eyed old bats that stab you soon as look at you... play with knives they do... can'... can' trust 'em. Not one... bit."

"Z-z-z-z-z"

Resolution 1
A - (X)
B - (1) Ghazkull
C - (X)
D - (2) MonkeyMarkMario, Superdorf

Resolution 2
B - (X)
C - (X)
D - (1) MonkeyMarkMario

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Fixed an... unfortunate typo.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 10:43:52 am by Superdorf »

klonk
Sigtext

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2019, 09:03:31 pm »

OOC: I should just say: I find the historical research you put into this absolutely delightful. I've been fascinated with the Byzantine world for a long time now (if not very earnest about properly studying it); it does my heart good to see it woven into a forum game with such care. Well done, sirrah. :)

OOC: Thanks dudeski! I hope everyone is having fun with it and that its as fun to read as it is to participate and create! I'll continue to do my best--and I love reading your guys' RP and writing just as much! I look forward to more stuff!

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2019, 10:13:51 am »

Isaac chuckles, and drops his voting-stones into the jars. "I believe that we can recoup on supplies for the time being by sending out a smaller force to perform a conventional siege, and make it known to the Genovese that they can't win."

Resolution 1
A - (X)
B - (1) Ghazkull
C - (X)
D - (3) MonkeyMarkMario, Superdorf, DoubloonSeven

Resolution 2
B - (X)
C - (X)
D - (2) MonkeyMarkMario, DoubloonSeven

Avanti!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2019, 03:04:06 pm »

Turn 6: Winter 1302
1st Gothic-Genovese War

Previous Resolutions:
-- (Success) Genoa's eyes and ears in Gothia are lax and we send a discreet messenger to Genoa to offer the chance to ransom their nobles and other officers. They accept, but the negotiations are difficult and we have some trouble appraising the prisoners as the Genovese do not make use of the intricate rank system in the Byzantine style--still, we are able to make a tidy profit off the transaction. The rest of prisoners, some 5500 men, are split up as best they can and spread around the province--mostly around Doros, Cembalo, and Kalamita where they are put to work. They are paid slave wages, but are promised freedom and resettlement if they do not revolt--a shocking answer to those expecting to be put to death for sure, there are few escapes or suicide in the first months.

-- (Failure) Despite the suggestions of the Trapezuntine commander, the Theodoran court explodes in strategy talks. Luckily, the Trapezuntine commander announces that he himself will lay siege to Vosporo---alone, if need be, and departs soon after, taking 15,000 men with him. 1000 stay in Doros as a token force and representatives of the Trapezuntine state.

Foreign News:
-- The 5000 Genovese mercenaries are still tied down in Genoa.

-- War continues to rage across the remains of the Byzantine Empire, who negotiates a favorable peace with their long-time rivals, the Bulgarians. Some stability has returned to Thrace.

Local News:
-- The main Trapezuntine army lays siege to Vosporo and begins building trebuchets.

-- The Trapezuntines fail to pay tribute to the Khans as they march through their lands... There is no movement as of yet.

-- Vosporo is reinforced by sea with approximately 5000 Genovese regular infantry.

-- Trade suffers a little as the Genovese blockade continues, but our export economy was nearly non-existent before hand and as such there is not much to lose. A few merchants will doubtless demand compensation after the war.

Updates:

Factions:

Settlements:

Current Resolutions:

Resolution 1: The Siege of Vosporo.
The Trapezuntine commander has forced our hand by marching on Vosporo. It is possible they could declare a separate peace, and while Genoa would most likely offer generous terms to us shortly afterwards, should the Trapezuntines gain control of Vosporo they will be much harder to oust than the Genovese--and the dishonor of such a course could destabilize both the country and larger region.

A.) Send our army to Vosporo, the Genovese have already committed enough troops there that any reinforcements would have a difficult time maneuvering around our allied Trapezuntine rearguard. If we join the siege as equals or assault the city, we would naturally be accorded a much larger influence at the bargaining table.

B.) Nothing is written. Do not allow your position to be swayed by the actions of others. Not only should we avoid angering the Khans further, but we regardless of the strategic positions of Genoa's armies we should be wary of leaving our capital undefended!

C.) *because of your aggressive military policy* Where others see obstacles, we see opportunities. If we were to lure the Genoan army to attempting a landing on our Southern coast, we could potentially break the blockade by defeating smaller Genovese fleets in detail. The ships sent to transport both their garrison at Vosporo and their hired mercenaries would be sorely missed from the battle fleet. Not to mention the Trapezuntines would also surely be grateful for such a success, as the isolation of their main army in Gothia is surely creating political friction in Anatolia. Finally, this plan--if successful--would destroy Genoa's ability to wage war on us entirely.

MonkeyMarkMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Princes of Theodoro: An Alternate History Game (Turn 6)
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2019, 03:15:31 pm »

"Can we all agree that having any outsiders, even the Trapezuntine, on our peninsula would weaken our legitimacy."

Resolution 1
A - (1) MonkeyMarkMario
B - (X)
C - (X)
My Forum game(s):
Hahaha, ya right

Any future games will be simpler in nature, I have a bad habit of biting off more than I can chew. Also hoping for more players in them.

I have Discord for my games now(not necessary to play, tho might be easier to contact me): https://discord.gg/DuaARAZ
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4