Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21

Author Topic: CYOGTCG: A TCG game where you make your own cards! Decks created: 7  (Read 20436 times)

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
Re: CYOGTCG: A TCG game where you make your own cards! Decks created: 6
« Reply #135 on: August 06, 2019, 12:20:45 pm »

It wasn't really a mistake given the context, I have no more plays. Its effect only works when face down and allowing me to receive damage, which was unacceptable at 10 damage to my 7 hearts.

So after drawing I play nothing and you win next turn. GG.

I might talk more about the deck but I have to go to work.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 06, 2019, 12:52:38 pm »

I've been thinking about the card costs-- whether we should try to standardise or set a minimum for common effects like drawing cards, playing cards, generating stars. One neat balancing thing is that the attack and hearts stats are balanced 1:1 (two cards with equal total hearts and attacks will always kill each other at the same time no matter what the specific heart or attack value of each card is).

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 06, 2019, 01:57:41 pm »

I've been thinking about the card costs-- whether we should try to standardise or set a minimum for common effects like drawing cards, playing cards, generating stars. One neat balancing thing is that the attack and hearts stats are balanced 1:1 (two cards with equal total hearts and attacks will always kill each other at the same time no matter what the specific heart or attack value of each card is).
1A,4H vs 2A,3H (both totaling 5)?
I believe the second card would survive with 1H.
In most situations, yes, that does apply, however.
As for standardizing, that does go against the spirit of the game, if not the rules. The point is to do what you like.

It wasn't really a mistake given the context, I have no more plays. Its effect only works when face down and allowing me to receive damage, which was unacceptable at 10 damage to my 7 hearts.

So after drawing I play nothing and you win next turn. GG.

I might talk more about the deck but I have to go to work.
GG. Sorry about the 9 overkill damage. And yeah, in context, I guess it wasn't that bad of a move, assuming you had no more 0-star cards in your hand?

I also never got to use two of the card designs in my deck. I did draw one of them, but after I spent the stars required to play it.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 01:59:29 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 06, 2019, 02:39:33 pm »

Ah yes, it all worked out for the examples I ran through in my head, but you're quite right, it doesn't always hold.

I suppose the spirit of the game is to keep things as minimalistic as possible-- though the GM might have their own rules of thumb for balancing.

I know when I was making my deck I considered additional effects worth about two points if they were pretty minor or temporary, three points if it was an oncoming effect, with a reduction of one point if there was a restriction.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 06, 2019, 04:51:26 pm »

If it seems about right, I'll generally accept it. A key part of this game is creativity. If a card needs to be "Standardized" then you're probably designing the card wrong.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 06, 2019, 11:04:46 pm »

GG. Sorry about the 9 overkill damage. And yeah, in context, I guess it wasn't that bad of a move, assuming you had no more 0-star cards in your hand?
Yeah, my hand was full of modules, support cards, and things just slightly too expensive to play.

Which brings me to mention the big downfall of my deck, it is just so star hungry. Several 'pay 1 star' effects and generally my actual fighters are 2 cost or more. Furthermore is the requirement for mechs to attach modules to. I only managed to get one on the battlefield, and only drew one more right at the end, all of my other mechs never saw my hand even with the aggressive drawing my Cypher allowed me.

And that starting hand... I actually had the thought to propose a mulligan. I started with no mechs, and no star producers, only usable cards were a plasma mine and that spatial distortion.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 11:19:59 pm by SHAD0Wdump »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 07, 2019, 02:00:24 am »

Once you've both finetumed your decks, do you fancy playing notquitethere and myself?

We could do 1v1s, or a 2v2? There's the MTG variant "Two Headed Giant" where teammates share life and act on the same turn. That might be possible, assuming we can line each phase of actions easily.

Or we could just do a standard 2v2 where we cycle round each player in turn like a 1v1v1v1, except people are in teams.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 07, 2019, 02:15:13 am »

I'm definitely up for another game. We could play a team game, though as we're in different time zones it's probably best to keep the exact turn order loose-- two headed giant would be fine if both team members act on the same turn but it doesn't matter which of them plays first-- it'd go speedier than 1v1v1v1.

If we do Two Headed-- would we share star pools as well? And, for card effects, will team mates share a board?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 02:48:16 am by notquitethere »

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 07, 2019, 04:02:57 pm »

I've submitted my deck modifications.
I don't think I'm ready for a Two-Headed game. I could do a 1v1v1, or 1v1v1v1.
Or two 1v1s simultaneously, if nobody minds me playing two games at once and doubling my post size.

Once my deck changes and 2 new cards have been approved.
The Cyan Menace

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 07, 2019, 04:12:48 pm »

Honestly I should consider the use of different threads if the main thread is getting cluttered.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 08, 2019, 04:59:54 pm »

Well in that case let's start a game a 1v1+ and we can open up another thread if necessary. I'm happy to go first...

Game begins with 5 cards, I draw 1 card up to 6.

I play Active Toilers which allows me to play another card, so I play another Active Toilers. I could play another card but there's nothing decent to play so I leave it at that.

Spoiler: Board (click to show/hide)

Hearts: 20
Cards: 4
Stars: 0

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 08, 2019, 05:12:38 pm »

I'll let flabort or SHADOWdump play you notquitethere, and I'll play the other one. Unless one of the peeps who has a deck but hasn't played yet wants to join?

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 08, 2019, 11:18:55 pm »

I'm still working on my ideas for a few cards, it's amazing how hard it is to find a decent image for a cloaking field without it looking like a blueprint or being related to harry potter.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 09, 2019, 01:25:26 am »

Looks like I'm facing Flabort 1v1 then!

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 09, 2019, 12:36:09 pm »

Looks like I'm facing Flabort 1v1 then!
I forgot background colors for the new cards in my deck, so as soon as Supernerd gets back to me now that I've submitted colors, I'll get a turn in then.
The Cyan Menace

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21