Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22

Author Topic: XCOM Arms Race II : Ethereals  (Read 19487 times)

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM Arms Race II : Ethereals
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2019, 10:12:47 am »

I would honestly like to have both aliens... What are we likely to use the shipyard for exactly?
It would give us an extra VP, allowing us to send an extra UFO, which means more missions/less likely for our missions to get shot down.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2019, 10:13:33 am »

I would honestly like to have both aliens... What are we likely to use the shipyard for exactly?
VP. We can currently deploy 3 small scouts. Even 1 more VP would increase our fleet by 33%, and I expect a good roll to give us 2, maybe even 3 (unlikely, but maybe if we roll an 8?). If this game works like last time, in a one-on-one fight our small scouts will generally lose against XCOM's Interceptors. Being able to deploy two groups of two would give us a much better chance of surviving the aerial battle (mostly) intact, in turn giving us greatly improved odds on the ground.
Now, as I've mentioned, I'm pretty sure ebbor has rebalanced things so air combat is not quite as important, but it will still matter a lot, and 3 VP is a pittance.
Long Live United Forenia!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2019, 10:25:15 am »

Right. Still working off it being limited, not cheap.

Anything else I should know about the other 2 costs?

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2019, 10:28:48 am »

Right. Still working off it being limited, not cheap.

Anything else I should know about the other 2 costs?
Well, there's a decent chance we'll be able to find things that give us a free points worth of either a unit or piece of equipment(same for vehicles). Other than that not really.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2019, 10:45:35 am »

I am hearing "XCOM logic" being thrown around a bunch by the same people who rationalize which region is best, which I assume "XCOM logic" makes fairly identical. It's just the world's HP... Unless maybe the GM can elaborate the gameplay differences. I don't see how any choice matters.

(Pending question in reply #38)
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2019, 10:53:35 am »

Well, there's a decent chance we'll be able to find things that give us a free points worth of either a unit or piece of equipment(same for vehicles). Other than that not really.
Note that the behaviour of Cost Tokens has been changed, they now provide only a temporary cost reduction (a change made to reduce the risk of unstoppable snowballing, where tokens beget tokens which beget more tokens, and actual designs are irrelevant).

What I assume will still happen is that we regularly gain more V/U/EP- but so will XCOM, so that will only make the war more intense, not change the balance of forces.

I am hearing "XCOM logic" being thrown around a bunch by the same people who rationalize which region is best, which I assume "XCOM logic" makes fairly identical. It's just the world's HP... Unless maybe the GM can elaborate the gameplay differences. I don't see how any choice matters.
XCOM logic doesn't mean that things work identically to the videogame. It means that certain behaviours are constrained.
The choice of region definitely matters mechanically; it makes operations in that region/continent easier. So choosing South America, with its measly 2 regions, would usually be a poor choice. Beyond that, yes, the choice of region probably doesn't matter that much. However, the mechanics of the game are somewhat obscured, so it's better to assume that things will work against us if they can- choosing Japan, for instance, is unlikely to result in penalties due to Japan being more densely populated... but it might, so why risk it? Will XCOM have better luck finding our bases if they guess correctly where they are? Maybe, so best to put them in places they are less likely to look.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2019, 11:21:45 am »

Thanks.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2019, 11:46:50 am »

Also, Kashyyk... I just now noticed you cut out one of my votes for whatever reason. The North Pole is one of the only human inhabitable regions, and tends to be obscured from sight most of the time, if not all of it. It also has ice, and is rather cool in comparison to most of the planet.

Well, inhabitable in terms of not much work being needed there for them to set up a base should they ever choose to.

Sadly, not a GM-approved option. I guess depending on how "Russia" is taken, you could set up shop at Novaya Zemlya, which is where they tested Tsar Bomba, but the actual ice sheet is off limits.

Avanti!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2019, 12:05:24 pm »

???

Is there some sort of secret discord, or did I just miss something?

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2019, 12:07:23 pm »

Well, it's an option for our main base. But I'd assume it's not one for our sub-bases because it's not given as being one.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2019, 12:10:42 pm »

I think Tric meant the North Pole of Mercury, not the North Pole of Earth.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2019, 01:08:34 pm »

Yes. A good portion of that crater is always in shadow. In addition to being in a crater, build up a bit will make it unlikely they'd spot us. Unless they're specifically looking in the first place.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2019, 02:01:03 pm »

???

Is there some sort of secret discord, or did I just miss something?

If there is one, please tell me.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2019, 02:40:35 pm »

Ah, my mistake. Anyhow, I'd actually sort of prefer for there not to be a discord.

Avanti!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2019, 03:18:20 pm »

This is ebbor's wish also, as I understand it, and though I find Discord useful, I understand why ebbor doesn't want it. So no, no secret Discord to my knowledge.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22