Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22

Author Topic: XCOM Arms Race II : Ethereals  (Read 19467 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM Arms Race II : Ethereals
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2019, 08:16:27 am »

I feel like a cool idea though could be like, a being with a pretty much useless body and a huge brain focused entirely on psionics. Like, we're talking the squishy center of the Gatekeeper, downscaled and without the tentacles. We could use it to pilot our large robots and such, thus meaning they can't just straight up re-purpose the machines directly for their own use.
I don't think we can jump straight to Gatekeeper-levels of psionic power. The Ophanim are intended to be a first step towards powerful psionic aliens- we could design/revise more powers for them later, maybe make them an armoured hover-suit thing if they prove too squishy.

Also, I really want to use the Old-com Cryssalids for something, or at least their design. I found them while looking up other old XCom aliens and I just love the look. Something about the carapaced humanoid brute with a perpetual smile built into its skull is just really appealing to me. More so than the generic horrible bug monsters anyway. I guess because you'd expect the horrible bug monster to lay eggs in people, but not the hulking brute with giant rending pincers.
I think our priority should be abduction missions first, to gather genetic material with which to bolster our roster for Raid and Infiltration missions. And Chryssalids are more effective at scaring people than killing trained soldiers.
Long Live United Forenia!

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2019, 08:53:56 am »

I don't think we can jump straight to Gatekeeper-levels of psionic power. The Ophanim are intended to be a first step towards powerful psionic aliens- we could design/revise more powers for them later, maybe make them an armoured hover-suit thing if they prove too squishy.
I mean, that's just what I meant from a design standpoint, it's not like we're actually making fucking Gatekeepers turn 1.

I think our priority should be abduction missions first, to gather genetic material with which to bolster our roster for Raid and Infiltration missions. And Chryssalids are more effective at scaring people than killing trained soldiers.
Well yeah, we don't need to do it literally right now, we don't need to make actual Chryssalids at all. I just really like that design, I want to use that look for something, regardless of if it's actual chryssalids or not.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2019, 09:03:59 am »

I'd kinda like Japan..

Also, Neptune. We won't have much trouble reaching earth, while they ill likely face long travel times even before they need to fight in the clouds.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2019, 09:26:52 am »

I'll rejoin the Ethereals.

For our Main Base, I think we should have a space station at Sun-Earth Lagrange point 3. Feels like a suitably amusing place, cos we will perpetually be appearing from within the sun, depending on how good are heat shielding is.

Anyway, I support the plan of focusing on abduction missions to begin with, and suggest designing a specific abduction/harvester craft. Hopefully it'll mean we either get a bigger haul (more tokens), or a faster abduction (less chance of XCom interfering).

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2019, 09:33:09 am »

I'd kinda like Japan..
Japan is definitely the worst country in Asia to put a secret base. It's densely populated in most areas, except the very north, I guess. The one thing that could be said for it is that any aliens walking around could be confused for cosplayers.

Also, Neptune. We won't have much trouble reaching earth, while they ill likely face long travel times even before they need to fight in the clouds.
The... clouds? You want to put our base on the surface of Neptune?
Also, a lengthy travel time will, in fact, be a hindrance to us.

For our Main Base, I think we should have a space station at Sun-Earth Lagrange point 3. Feels like a suitably amusing place, cos we will perpetually be appearing from within the sun, depending on how good are heat shielding is.
That could work, yes.

Anyway, I support the plan of focusing on abduction missions to begin with, and suggest designing a specific abduction/harvester craft. Hopefully it'll mean we either get a bigger haul (more tokens), or a faster abduction (less chance of XCom interfering).
We only have 3VP right now, we really can't afford a more expensive craft.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2019, 12:47:56 pm »

Ignore this human looking thing
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2019, 01:36:46 pm »

Ignore this human looking thing
Captures for analysis.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2019, 02:23:13 pm »

Quote from: Vortigaunt
A strange species that we have encountered over our travels. When we discovered them, they had already been using the Gift for an extended amount of time, yet we wondered why we could not feel their minds reaching out, even though they where receiving our own mental messages. It wasn't until we began studying them directly that we learned why. Their ability to use the gift is limited, much so, even more than that of the Sectoids. However, what they lack in raw capacity, they make up through strange biological adaptations.

The Vortigaunts have special nerve-like structures running straight from their brain directly through their primary arms. These 'Psi-wires' as we have taken to calling them, allow psionic energy to be channeled far more directly. This means that the Vortigaunt is capable of using its hands to fire off harmful blasts of destructive psionic energy similar to a bolt of lightning in appearance with each hand or doubling their power by using both, or strangely enough restorative energy capable of healing others. While this, in addition to their respectable strength and clawed hands, makes them significantly dangerous even without a weapon, and makes them capable of limited healing of allies, it means that the more mental aspects of the Gift will be forever out of their grasp without drastic genetic intervention from ourselves. The best they can manage being touch based telepathy with eachother, which is how they communicate.

In physical terms, the Vortigaunts are similar in size and strength to a human, and no less durable or intelligent either. They possess three arms, two primary ones at the shoulders, as is typical, and a third one protruding from their chest, which is primarily used for feeding, being smaller and weaker. Their eyes are well adapted for dark environments, though not true night vision they can see further in the night than at least humans generally can. Their vocal chords are theoretically sufficient for replicating human speech with some noticeable accenting due to the structure and position of their mouths.

Edit: added the ability to heal. If this thing winds up being very hard or ludicrous it's all Nukes fault.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 05:45:05 am by Failbird105 »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2019, 02:59:30 pm »

Are we currently in design phase?

Also, messing with the Vortigaunt' biology to spread these Psi-wires across their entirety, strengthen the bones and tendons, and give them more mobility in their legs for forward movement. Enhanced reflexes and greater speed and jumping power through direct Psi-Enhancement. And they can still shock them as normal.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2019, 03:00:05 pm »

Firstly, that would be hilarious. Secondly, that would be confusing to the humans. I approve. Would be funny for later on. Also, Earth-Sun L3 is unfortunately very unstable, with Venus coming around frequently to mess things up.

Quote from: Votebox
Main Base Location
Mercury: (1) DoubloonSeven
Asteroid Belt: ()
Earth-Sun L3: ()
Neptune: ()

Secondary Bases
India: (1) DoubloonSeven
Brazil: (1) DoubloonSeven

Designs
Mercurial Shipyards: (1) DoubloonSeven
Orphanim: (1) DoubloonSeven

Better ships and scouting are pleasant. Mercury is hard to get to, yet still reasonably close, Asia gives that country bonus, possibly, and South America is stealthy.

Avanti!

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2019, 03:07:03 pm »

Are we currently in design phase?

Also, messing with the Vortigaunt' biology to spread these Psi-wires across their entirety, strengthen the bones and tendons, and give them more mobility in their legs for forward movement. Enhanced reflexes and greater speed and jumping power through direct Psi-Enhancement. And they can still shock them as normal.
To quote the GM:
The following things need to be decided:
- Main Base Location : This can be anywhere in the solar system
- Subsidiary Bases : Pick 2 nations from the map to place your secret bases in. You get bonusses if you deploy in these regions or their continents.
- Pick 2 designs

Also, we can certainly do all that later on with revisions. I'm just leaving them at this to try and mitigate the designs difficulty. I worry that they might already be a bit much, being a complete physical upgrade to the Sectoids in every way and having the Psi-bolt, even if I did make them unable to learn mental manipulation and telepathy(the latter of which is directly opposed to canon).

-votebox snipped to borrow-
What do you think of my Vortigaunts?

Main Base Location
Mercury: (2) DoubloonSeven, Failbird

Secondary Bases
India: (1) DoubloonSeven

Designs
Mercurial Shipyards: (2) DoubloonSeven, Failbird
Ophanim: (1) DoubloonSeven
Vortigaunt: (1) Failbird
Still not decided on where to put the sub-bases.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2019, 03:11:03 pm »

Vortigaunts would be hilarious, and actually pretty good in combat. Sad that we don't have the Nihilanth's Xen portals, though. The Ethereals probably get really confused when they talk about the Vortessence, the Free Man, the Shepherd, etc...

Hey, GM? Can Gordon Freeman and Adrian Shepherd be X-Com operatives? It'd be funny.

Avanti!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2019, 03:11:50 pm »

The Vortigaunts sound like they would fill a fairly similar niche to the Sectoids, honestly. Like, the difference between blasts of psionic energy and plasma pistols isn't substantial enough, and whilst they may be a bit stronger than your average Sectoid, they'd be nowhere near as strong as a Chryssalid or Muton equivalent.

Actually, the weird dog-things from HL1 might be an interesting thing.

Main Base Location
Mercury: (3) DoubloonSeven, Failbird, NUKE9.13

Secondary Bases
India: (2) DoubloonSeven, NUKE9.13
Nigeria: (1) NUKE9.13

Designs
Mercurial Shipyards: (3) DoubloonSeven, Failbird, NUKE9.13
Ophanim: (2) DoubloonSeven, NUKE9.13
Vortigaunt: (1) Failbird

Mercury Underground Polar Base:
Located a considerable depth below the surface of Mercury, our main base consists of several giant caverns, subdivided into various sections per our needs. Three large shafts lead to the surface, through which our craft can come and go.
India Himalayan Mountainside Secondary Base:
Located in a remote region of the Himalayas, this base is further obscured by being dug into the side of a mountain, like some sort of dwarven fortress. Though remote by human standards, it still provides an excellent staging point for operations in India and the surrounding countries.
Nigeria African Interior Lake Secondary Base:
Whilst recorded as being located in Nigeria, Earthling borders are of little interest to us. This base is located deep in the African interior, situated beneath the surface of a deep lake in the depths of the jungle. Our craft are waterproof, and can dock with airlocks in the depths of the lake. Access via carefully hidden tunnels is also possible.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2019, 03:19:03 pm »

No one says they can't have telepathy, it's just entirely internal. As in, they need to touch, and is likely how they communicate. We can send messages more directly to them though.

Main Base Location
Mercury: (4) DoubloonSeven, Failbird, TricMagic(North Pole Crater), NUKE9.13

Secondary Bases
Asia
India: (2) DoubloonSeven, NUKE9.13
Japan: (1) TricMagic

South America
Brazil: (1) DoubloonSeven,

Africa
Nigeria: (2) NUKE9.13, TricMagic

Designs
Mercurial Shipyards: (3) DoubloonSeven, Failbird, NUKE9.13
Ophanim: (3) DoubloonSeven, TricMagic, NUKE9.13
Vortigaunt: (2) Failbird, TricMagic

We apparently have 2 designs and 3 revisions this turn. And currently, we don't have need of better shipyards. Not that's I'll dislike better shipyards per say, but...

Failbird, can you edit yours to say they can talk telepathicly via contact with each other, and receive messages, but not send. The Ophanim can likely also serve to command them as shock troops. Literally, if they get the proper revision to boost their speed with these Psi-Wires.

Ninja nuked
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 03:21:58 pm by TricMagic »

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2019, 03:32:35 pm »

The Vortigaunts sound like they would fill a fairly similar niche to the Sectoids, honestly. Like, the difference between blasts of psionic energy and plasma pistols isn't substantial enough, and whilst they may be a bit stronger than your average Sectoid, they'd be nowhere near as strong as a Chryssalid or Muton equivalent.
I mean, you act as though they can't use guns too, when, y'know, they can. It's just that they have more attacks than just 'shoot with pistol', we could also most likely do a revision to make the psi-bolt attack arc to extra targets if we wanted to, which isn't something we could do with plasma weaponry.

Frankly, I mostly want to do Vortigaunts because our very first design in the first game was drones, and I'd rather not have our first design in the second game be 'drones again, but psionic'.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 03:38:50 pm by Failbird105 »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22