Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What Comes After [SG] - Day 2, 10:30 AM  (Read 3871 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: What Comes After [SG]
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2019, 03:45:38 pm »

*pokes Chiefwaffles*
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2019, 10:56:23 pm »

*pokes Chiefwaffles again*

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2019, 10:08:20 am »

Waffles come back

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2019, 01:38:41 pm »

Glass, you should know by now that 90% of anything Chiefwaffles produces will be dead within days.

Avanti!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2019, 01:43:39 pm »

-snip-
Please come back, I just found this game and thought it looked cool

To the others:
Shouldn’t the creator get notified of updated posts?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2019, 01:50:26 pm »

Glass, you should know by now that 90% of anything Chiefwaffles produces will be dead within days.
The faithful always hold to hope.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2020, 03:04:50 am »

Foreword: Rumors of my this game's death are true until now greatly exagerrated. Behold!
(While this is based off of the voted-for character sheet, remember that the given sheet is a suggestion. Do not automatically assume anything said in the sheet and not here is true.)

[Previous] Prologue [Next]

You are Jason Argon. Half-elf tiefling. You think your dark purple skin complements your horns and tail. Some people disagree. Those people are wrong.

Your satchel falls onto the table. Its clasps are quickly undone to reveal the contents inside. Which... isn't much. A couple of crystals -- strange lights still flowing inside -- scatter across the crude hand-drawn map that had escaped the cloth confines of the satchel first. Food remains securely shoved into the back. A look at the map confirms your location to the best of the map's abilities. It's almost a somber moment as you realize the map is now extraordinarily useless. It did show a collection of landmarks to navigate with. But for whatever reason, they're nothing more than smudged ink on a rapidly-deteriorating medium. No use complaining now. The map did its job, and the "caravan" you got it from is long-gone by now. Your gaze turns away and wanders upwards, exploring the workshop.

Light endlessly pours into the structure, finding its way through a singular gigantic breach spanning across the ceiling and walls. Twisted metal and charred wood line the opening. Clearly the aftermath of some arbitrary pre-Reckoning weapon. Your cloak gently wafts in the firm breeze from outside, where countless pine trees lie under a serene sky. It's still something to appreciate even after so many days spent navigating the landscape. The interior of the shop wasn't spared from whatever created the gash outside. Nothing in the wreckage is even worth attempting to decipher. Your hope is saved when you notice a large canvas cloth draped over something. Minding the jagged metal on the floor, you endeavour to reveal whatever the cloth hides.

Seeing isn't enlightening but rather intriguing. A mess of harsh metal tubing and chambers twisting and winding across each other over and over seemingly without stop nor respite. A lot of time is lost trying to examine this strange contraption, until your eyes catch on a small leather-bound notebook. Strangely hot to the touch, it bears obvious damage from whatever fate befell the workshop. But opening it finally gives you the moment of enlightenment you've spent the day looking for.

It's notes! The notes of an inventor! One of a surprisingly similar mind to you, based by how relatively effortlessly you can read them. Well. Read the unburned parts. Which are a clear minority to the burned and missing pages.
A lot of the notes are written cryptically or what you can only imagine to be some kind of code. Even more of the notes are missing or annoyingly fragmented due to damage rendering parts unreadable. It'll take time and a lot of external clues to fully understand this stuff, and you doubt it'll teach you everything. But you can tell it has stories to tell.
So far, you think the thing you found before this notebook is some kind of technology to... move things? It seems to need two reagents to work, and those reagents are not crystals. Water is an obvious match to one of the requirements. You'd need a good amount of it. But the only hint you can discern for the other thing needed is that it's for a fire. Hm.

Whether luck or fate, you can read one particularly expository bit. This person was experimenting with technology completely free of magic. Completely separated from the Weave. Technology that they hoped would be behind the start of a new age.
If nothing else, it's inspiring.

You stretch your arms out and rotate yourself to lift pressure off of your tail, slowly realizing you've just woken up. The canvas repurposed as a shelter is already failing its job. Your satchel is still here. The notebook, right next to you where it was when you fell asleep. Your mind finds itself filled with the same inspiration as yesterday. You can start something new, can't you?

The rising sun shines through the old workshop's scar to fall upon your face. It's the dawn of a new day.

Spoiler: The Workshop (click to show/hide)
Day 1, 8:00 AM
Actions take time, from minutes to hours to days to much longer. You can intend for an action to take a certain amount of time or take as long as that action needs. Eat and drink every day, or grow hungry/thirsty. If your actions takes up a large part of a day or more, you don't need to specifically remember to eat/drink unless you don't want to at all.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 04:34:34 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What Comes After [SG] - Day 1, 8:00 AM
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2020, 04:08:06 am »

Look for someone

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2020, 09:34:10 am »

First lets thoroughly look through the debris in the building we're in, then try to cover the hole with something better than some canvas.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2020, 09:53:58 am »

While this is likely to be a relatively good shelter - standing buildings generally are, and staying near this contraption is likely one of our best bets - we need to make sure it will be viable to stay here for a while, at least until we can figure out how this thing works.
As such, we should take some time to search the workshop and see if there’s any smaller tools worth taking, but after that, we need to see about hunting or scavenging for food and water. Better to make sure we have enough of them for later now than when we need them urgently.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2020, 12:08:51 pm »

While this is likely to be a relatively good shelter - standing buildings generally are, and staying near this contraption is likely one of our best bets - we need to make sure it will be viable to stay here for a while, at least until we can figure out how this thing works.
As such, we should take some time to search the workshop and see if there’s any smaller tools worth taking, but after that, we need to see about hunting or scavenging for food and water. Better to make sure we have enough of them for later now than when we need them urgently.

+1 ignore previous vote

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2020, 04:34:01 pm »

[Previous] Day 1, 8:00 AM [Next]

Tools are quite useful. And quite often found in a workshop. You are in a workshop. The mental math doesn't take long before you're searching the debris and surviving portions of the building for tools and other supplies.

8:40 AM
Unfortunately, you surmise that the bulk of this person's tools must have been victims in the damage. But that doesn't stop you from finding a few useful things hidden in the building. This person was not the most organized. And that's good for you since it means more things for you to loot respectfully repurpose. Overall, this takes 40min to get a good look at everything.

You find a Hunting Knife, Saw and a Hammer. Not much at all, but you imagine some of the smaller pieces of scrap metal here can be repurposed into ad-hoc tools if needed. Not that you'd know how to make any tool, or that you could make anything with the materials immediately available. But it's a useful thought. The hammer and saw are placed in a prominent spot in the Workshop; the knife is kept in your satchel for use as needed.
Also paid off was keeping an eye out for some more general items. Simple Building Material (Wood) is gathered from some more prominently-non-destroyed pieces of debris. Nails, a bit of cut lumber, and the like. Nowhere near enough to build a house with, but you could do many things with this.

Building materials and tools are great and all, but you have to be alive to use them. And to be alive, you know you have to keep yourself fed and keep your thirst quenched. Equipped with your satchel and extremely vague knowledge of a small part of the surrounding area, you set off exploring for food and water.

9:00 PM

Pine branches snap underneath your feet with practically every step through the forest. Birds flutter from tree to tree above you, as if they're unaware or uncaring of your presence. This goes on for quite a while. Hunting is out of the question right now. You did usually prefer food traded-for from others. Hunting isn't an alien experience by any means; you're not great at it but with the right equipment you could usually get by. But you don't have the right equipment. Mentally switching gears to Plan B as your trek through the woods continues, you gather food a different way. Berries! You're able to identify one type safe to eat. Not too common of a sight in the forest and definitely not something to rely on, but you find a good amount by scanning the flora in your walk. Storing them in your pack isn't terrific -- you can only hope you don't find the notebook stained red next time you open it. But fears aside, you end up with a respectable 2x Berries (2x meaning 2 days' worth with mild-moderate rationing) and your hunger satiated.

The last stop on your miniature adventure is a brook. Just in time, too; no need to sleep away from the workshop. It's a peaceful stream of water, and seems to be fresh. Thinking back to your trip, this should be roughly 5 hours away from the workshop one-way. Not great for immediate use, but suitable for survival. Landmarks should help guide you back here when needed.
There's no use filling your already-full canteen, but you do quench your thirst from it. Yep, fresh water. Hopefully clean fresh water.

By the time you're back at the workshop, the sun has already set. The night sky is just as calm as the sky during the day. Countless stars disappear as you walk through the missing door and into the workshop, its ceiling blocking your view. The dusty air pervasive in this building is already a familiar scent.

Spoiler: The Workshop (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Places (click to show/hide)
Day 1, 9:00 PM
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 03:34:33 am by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What Comes After [SG] - Day 1, 9:00 PM
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2020, 05:01:26 pm »

Do your best to set something up so that if anything enters the workshop, it’ll create a lot of noise doing so. Then, go to sleep, with the hunting knife in hand.

Sudurandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2020, 05:33:48 pm »

Do your best to set something up so that if anything enters the workshop, it’ll create a lot of noise doing so. Then, go to sleep, with the hunting knife in hand.
+1 What's the weather been like? do we need to collect wood for an overnight fire?

Also in the morning we should probably start work of on a bow. We'll want something we can hunt with.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2020, 05:35:06 pm »

I was indeed thinking of looking for flexible materials and threads in the morning for that specific purpose, yes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3