Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 43

Author Topic: Proc Gen Mafia 2 -GAME OVER - TOWN VICTORY  (Read 99593 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Proc Gen Mafia 2 - Day 3 - Launch of the doctor!
« Reply #495 on: May 11, 2019, 06:31:49 pm »

NQT: If a player is brainwashed, does that stop them from taking their original action?
It does not. Brainwash doesn't count towards the once-per-phase action limit. A player could be brainwashed to do as many actions as there are brainwashers brainwashing them.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: May 11, 2019, 06:39:12 pm »

I've played a lot of mafia games, and the "village idiot" is a very consistent pattern. There's a player who posts erratically. Eventually they post something weird and get lynched for it, without anyone actually analysing whether it actually indicates if they're mafia. Usually that player is town, because if they were mafia their teammates would stop them from doing it. I've been trying to push back against this pattern in recent games, because I think it's a major reason why the town tends to lose in forum mafia.

I don't think TricMagic's alleged "slip" makes sense for a mafia member to make. It's obvious that only the mafia has a quicktopic, and they'd be able to use it to tell TricMagic not to talk about it. The idea that I'm mafia for trying to disagreeing with this lynch is even sillier - if I were mafia with TricMagic I could just tell him what arguments I'd want him to make privately, there'd be no need at all to make them myself. Assuming someone's scum because they disagree with you about something is another tempting pattern, but it's not one that's actually based on any logic.

Tric's at... L-2 now? You might very well jump in to defend him if you believed he might get hammervoted before he returned.
Your words intrigue me, but I still want TricMagic to try and explain himself. If he's town, surely he has an explanation, yes?

The player I've been waiting to hear back from is Shakerag, who has been entirely absent for a while and who I have reason to believe is the brainwasher now that I have clarified the rules. His silence throughout this whole issue is troubling, but I will say that he at least did not perform the kill on IcyTea last night. KitRougard also could not have performed the kill.

You say this with the confidence of mechanical knowledge. How do you know these two could not have performed last night's kill?
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: May 11, 2019, 06:59:09 pm »

I do have mechanical knowledge. I really want to see something from Shakerag before I explain exactly what.

I'm sure TricMagic will post a shitty explanation that doesn't satisfy anyone because that's how he's been posting all game. If I were mafia with him I could coach him to post better, but sadly I'm not and I instead have to post my thoughts in the thread.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: May 11, 2019, 07:36:16 pm »

Everyone: does anyone have an ability that does something like "Learn the names of everyone not targeting your target"?
You know my two abilities, the second is close to what you're asking but not exactly. Is there any reason for you to ask this?

I believe he might have thought he could make it pass as a simple typographical mistake, then after that didn't work he probably attempted to shift focus to the "Nirur Torir or RGU is lying" argument, then suggesting a no-lynch.
Your logic is sound, but you've got the order backwards. Leafsnail suggested a no-lynch; he then shifted focus to Nirur Torir/RGU in the same post. Only later, after Nirur Torir poked him about it, did he try to pass off TricMagic's slip as a typographical error.

I probably just didn't notice until after he suddenly went to defend TricMagic from his slip. But other than that, my main point still stands. There's just too many concidences.

I've played a lot of mafia games, and the "village idiot" is a very consistent pattern. There's a player who posts erratically. Eventually they post something weird and get lynched for it, without anyone actually analysing whether it actually indicates if they're mafia. Usually that player is town, because if they were mafia their teammates would stop them from doing it. I've been trying to push back against this pattern in recent games, because I think it's a major reason why the town tends to lose in forum mafia.

I don't think TricMagic's alleged "slip" makes sense for a mafia member to make. It's obvious that only the mafia has a quicktopic, and they'd be able to use it to tell TricMagic not to talk about it. The idea that I'm mafia for trying to disagreeing with this lynch is even sillier - if I were mafia with TricMagic I could just tell him what arguments I'd want him to make privately, there'd be no need at all to make them myself. Assuming someone's scum because they disagree with you about something is another tempting pattern, but it's not one that's actually based on any logic.

I've been in a scum team with TricMagic and I can tell you that, while it probably doesn't make any sense at all, it would be something TricMagic would do. I'm very sorry, but it's true.

In the game in which I was scum with him, he:

-Refused to explain how his role worked in the scum quicktopic, so I had no idea what he was talking about all of the time. I was his scumbuddy, and I had no idea he could even explode. At first, I believed he just visited others to give fruit and investigated as town, which was completely unrelated to the death-miller truth-bomb role he was.

-Self destructed twice, to activate an ability that would foce their target to tell the truth. Town doesn't have the need to lie, so (if the game hadn't been a bastard mod) his action would have caused two members of the town to be confirmed as such. It was actively harmful to the scum, as those people were unable to lie and such would end trusted by everyone.

-Completely failed to explain that he wasn't revived as a cultist, before self-destructing the second time. Town had misread one of the cult leader's flip and thought it had used it's ability to raise him as a cultist, when it had actually used a "life swap" power to revive him at the cost of my own life. And then he self-destructed out of nowhere, again.

In a game in which everyone was scum, he probably was the one who helped the "town" the most (despite of the lack of a town). You say that TricMagic can't be scum since his scum team wouldn't allow him to do that, but I would totally see him still do it, even with the whole mafia coaching him and telling him what to say or not.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: May 11, 2019, 09:58:34 pm »

Do you think he wouldn't do those things as town, though?

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: May 11, 2019, 10:45:42 pm »

He probably wouldn't have made the scumslip if he was town, and you probably wouldn't have defended him so eagerly. At first, I also believed it could have been just the way he plays, but even you have to admit this can't just be bad town play anymore.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: May 12, 2019, 07:23:06 am »

Nng, the day is ending sooner than I realized it would... nothing left to do but put my vote where my suspicions lie, then.

TricMagic
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: May 12, 2019, 07:31:40 am »

Day 3 Vote Count

- randomgenericusername - TricMagic [1]
- KitRougard
- SuperDorf
- TricMagic - Deus Asmoth, randomgenericusername, KitRougard, Superdorf [4]
- Nirur Torir
- Deus Asmoth
- Shakerag
- Leafsnail - Nirur Torir [1]
- No Lynch

Five to lynch

Day ends 9AM 13/5/19 BST or on majority lynch.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: May 12, 2019, 09:05:34 am »

Still got 24 Hours to go. And still no Shakerag.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: May 12, 2019, 02:15:20 pm »

Ugh, I'm up and about.  Friday was a wash and I'm typically busy with chores and errands on the weekend.  I'll see what I can do about catching up now as I have a little free time.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 12, 2019, 02:20:40 pm »

Ugh, I'm up and about.  Friday was a wash and I'm typically busy with chores and errands on the weekend.  I'll see what I can do about catching up now as I have a little free time.

This doesn't particularly matter at the moment. What your role is does though.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: May 12, 2019, 03:23:00 pm »

Should I just end the day tonight if you aren't even going to talk at all today? Less than 18 hours left, and I sleep for half of those.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Proc Gen Mafia 2 - Day One - Magma Alpaca Revenge
« Reply #507 on: May 12, 2019, 03:52:52 pm »

Ok, so seems like the beginning of the day was largely sussing out potential night action shenanigans and un-fucking the mod's votecount.

Ok, just weighing in on the mechanics stuff, yes I have a brainwash ability.  It has the possiblity of causing said brainwashed person to target multiple people.  I don't want to reveal more than that at this time, because I don't want to give unnecessary information to the scumteam.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: May 12, 2019, 03:54:11 pm »

I also have almost no idea/control over who gets brainwashed either, FWIW.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: May 12, 2019, 03:56:35 pm »

Should I just end the day tonight if you aren't even going to talk at all today? Less than 18 hours left, and I sleep for half of those.
I still had laundry to do today, alright?

I am making double-certain any game I join in the future doesn't count weekends for active time because this is bullshit. 
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 43