Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Deposed: Of Tutors and Princes (SG)  (Read 2079 times)

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deposed: Of Tutors and Princes (SG)
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2019, 07:14:37 am »

D - There is little remaining knowledge of old world technology, and those who do know are often viewed as witches do to...
D - A Crossover event- it didn't directly change anything immediately, but let... somethings into our machines, these things were not friendly by majority and don't abide by our world's rules.  a Battle of mutual destruction occurred and both us and the things within the machines were crippled, us by a lack of tech, them by a lack of 'bodys'.  However that is not the end, the crossover never truly ended and our worlds are becoming closer all the time...
D.
+1
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2019, 08:54:21 pm »

The world is a broken place, and those living there do not even know it any longer. The old worlders were rulers of their entire world, but they underestimated its ability to hurt them. Volcanic activity, tectonic shifts, continent wide flooding, and violently seesawing weather were all problems that maybe the old worlders could have handled if they had come one at a time, but they didn't. So, splinter factions began to compete for those resources which might allow them to preserve themselves in limited numbers, but not everyone could be saved, and so desperation drove people to extreme lengths. Weapons of scale unimaginable in current times were used to gain leverage, to threaten, and to secure resources. As things got worse and people grew even more desperate it was only a matter of time until those weapons were actually used, dooming the last efforts of a civilization to save some remnant of its own self.
It was not however, the end. Infrastructure may not have survived, but people did. Through trial and error, they learned the new rules of this new world. As time passed, that world would begin to thrive again, in its own way.

The Old World does have its Caretakers however, magicians rendered inhuman by their proximity to wonders which cannot be comprehended by mere men. It is they who study and safegaurd the Animus, the force of ancients. Most treat them with a mix of reverence and distrust.

Stage Three
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2019, 09:27:54 pm »

I'm going to vote Contemporary Scholars and either Vassals or Wastelands, and Steward Initiate. I'll leave character identities to the others, though I'd like to suggest "Adjilia" as the Kingdom name.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2019, 10:15:01 pm »

Name of nation: Rosetira or Land of the Iron Rose? ( Because yeah a call back to another game.)

Guardian name: Caliban

Nephew/Prince: Balder ( Yes Viking myth name, who is God Of spring. So big time hope stuff here.)

Kingdom:

1: Nation built in very well preserved ruins of the old world era.

2: Ton Of scholars. For culture and synth up with all the well preserved toys.

Guardian: A tie between inhuman killer, Ex Steward, and Inventor. Roll. Got Ex Steward.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2019, 07:47:25 am »

Name of nation: Rosetira or Land of the Iron Rose? ( Because yeah a call back to another game.)

Guardian name: Caliban

Nephew/Prince: Balder ( Yes Viking myth name, who is God Of spring. So big time hope stuff here.)

Kingdom:

1: Nation built in very well preserved ruins of the old world era.

2: Ton Of scholars. For culture and synth up with all the well preserved toys.

Guardian: A tie between inhuman killer, Ex Steward, and Inventor. Roll. Got Ex Steward.
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2019, 11:34:59 am »

*poke*

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2019, 04:23:42 pm »

The nation of Rosetira. Named long ago for a superstructure within it, the "Iron Rose", a screw shaped structure left partially embedded in a crumbled mountain range as if left discarded by some clumsy god of ancient times. Long ago, a small tribe took shelter within the Iron Rose from seasonal windstorms that ravaged the landscape. Soon, they established a community, and others came to them seeking shelter or work and new lives. They gave this and more to those refugees, and eventually founded a lasting dynasty.
The Iron Rose and the land immediately surrounding it became home to a city, which became the seat of a nation. Such a remarkable landmark attracted attention from the greatest minds, artists and academics of the new world, and it was only a matter of time before universities arose. They however, were too late to get first claim on many of the greatest wonders of the old world, scattered across the landscape as if from the same careless hand that dropped the Iron Rose. No, the first to claim most of those artifacts were the Stewards, working in cooperation with the newly established royal family.

Centuries passed, and despite no significant reserves of natural resources, little farmland, modest wealth, and a lack of mighty armies, Rosetira became an envied marvel of the world. Enough, to be coveted.
In the south, a nation calling itself the Supreme Principality conquered its neighbors. With its successful conquest, it acquired access to some of the most arable and stable lands on the continent, the most populous territories, and a large reserve of slaves. This territory was divided between a group of self professed demigods, the Supreme Princes, who nontheless marched in concert enough to be a threat to their primary rival.
In the north, the Confederacy of Clans had long united in cooperation to survive in the most deadly parts of the continent. Choking forests that humans grow sick inside of, regions with craters so deep the bottom can only be seen when the sun is directly above them, and ash strangled wastelands where plants cannot survive. A distrustful people, and the most adept survivors and warriors in the known world.

Balder's father, Freyr, had a long reign as head of the diverse Rosetiran peoples, and many children, of which Balder was a surprise quite late in his life. A man with so many well established heirs was far from worried about continuing his dynasty, and more worried about the strain that so many inheriting offspring might place on the small nation. So, he entrusted Balder, the surprise child, to you. Fourteen now, you've spent several years tutoring him in the arts and secrets of the old world. He's learned how to rig up your Glider to those precious ancient batteries that still hold charge, and how to locate those batteries with delicate instruments. He can sift through databanks for uncorrupted scraps of information, and parse a good portion of that information. He has however, nearly reached the limits of what you can teach him without either having him commit to years of advanced study, or subjecting him to the same changes that left you sterile and inhuman. There are limits to what a human mind can learn after all, without the Sacred Changes that turn one into a higher being. You had thought that Freyr might even agree to that.

That however, was all before it happened. Before the war broke out. You had taken the boy to an ancient ruin, picked clean but in good enough condition that it could make an educational field trip. A bunker, which had been built to house those hiding from the old world's superweapons, but which had never been used for its intended purpose. It made an ideal hiding place, as you had the misfortune of being close to the northern front. An enterprising General from the Confederacy of Clans had decided to use Rosetiran territory as a shortcut, to unexpectedly set upon a province of the Supreme Principality where they were less defended. The Princes decided that the Rosetirans were clearly no longer able to enforce their own territorial sovereignty, and invaded. The Clans followed suit, unwilling to allow the Princes to gain such a valuable prize. Between two superpowers, the Kingdom had no chance. For the audacity to resist, and to prevent uprisings, any member of the royal family who was found was killed. As far as you know, Balder is the only one who remains.

You have had to cut communication with the outside world off, for the safety of your entire party. You may have the equipment, but both the Clans and the Princes will likely be exerting enormous pressure on the Stewards, who will be able to trace your signal if they end up so inclined.
You cannot, however, remain so isolated forever. It was too dangerous to emerge before, but remaining here is merely a delayed death sentence. The location of this bunker, while out of the way and defensible, is far from a secret. Yours is not the first field trip to this location, nor will it be the last. You consider your resources, and your options.
It's equally fortunate as it is unfortunate that your party is so small. It includes yourself and your own considerable capabilities, a handful of guards, and your Nephew's other tutor. An accreddited university scholar named Talrost White, a middle aged architect who had served as a siege engineer in his youth. A model member of his profession, and one you've not always gotten along with.

You reason that before proceeding with any long term projections of the future, you ought to at least come from the perspective of a generalized modus operand i. You are, for the time being, the only adult member of your family, disinherited or not. Your decisions will impact not only your survival but possibly the survival of your conquered nation. You consider the immediate possibilities. You may attempt to find a secret base of operations, and clandestinely seek the allegiance of any loyalists, to sow the seeds of resistance under occupation. Or you might flee the country, attempting to find a ship which you might use to sail to a foreign nation. Another possibility is that you and Balder assume identities. You are as strange and inhuman as any steward, and unlikely to be recognized by most, and Balder has been outside the public eye for years now. You may be able to operate in plain sight.
There may be other possibilities you realize while examining the situation, but having a more narrow scope may allow you a plan of attack.

GM NOTE
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2019, 04:36:56 pm »

Adopting alternate identities would be prudent, in my opinion. It leaves our options open while making it generally easier to execute them.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2019, 05:16:48 pm »

So cool I helped shifted the land. Yeah I picked Balder because. Norse God of Light/Spring/Hope/Some War in mix.

And totally agree, secret identities as we the tutor, altered from
Technology. Balder, should be crafty and taught well enough to move about in public without a scene. Or lie his arse off about identity as right now not a good idea telling the absolute truth.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2019, 05:25:28 pm »

Idea for the identity: we and our architect friend don't have to change much, he's a scholar and we're his contact in the Stewards. Balder can be his apprentice or something (his because he can't really be a Steward apprentice without processes that aren't allowed if we want the dynasty to continue). Not sure about the guards, though.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2019, 05:30:17 pm »

I imagine that more specific information about the party and their own thoughts and feelings might be helpful. I could probably put that together tomorrow if we would prefer that additional information.
Otherwise, i'll just include that in a larger post moving the story forward.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2019, 05:35:24 pm »

Yeah, extra information would be good.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2019, 05:52:29 pm »

More info means more knowledge of what to do, great for plotting.

And yeah Balder keeps away from them damned infertility machines. He is to be our seed for a promising dynasty.
Pages: 1 [2] 3