Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 454152 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #2400 on: October 20, 2020, 04:21:06 pm »

I also think #1 and #2 look the most fitting.

I dunno, are we sure we want doggos to carry green hula hoops around with them constantly? Imagine this in aggregate, like in a dog pen. Won't it be distracting? I'd like something subtle like #4 more.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: October 20, 2020, 04:33:09 pm »

I like #2 or #4 TBH. Either an obvious ring or subtle shadow.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: October 20, 2020, 04:39:38 pm »

I think it should be pretty large and obvious, but by default only show for actively hostile creatures in red and your own military and war-animals in green. Anything that's not in those categories doesn't really need to be pointed out to the player as badly, but for new players especially it would be valuable to point out what's dangerous and what you can use to fight it off.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: October 20, 2020, 05:14:46 pm »

I have a question regarding the various cave creatures and stuff that are original to Dwarf Fortress. I've always been pretty interested in how Toady One and Threetoe actually envisioned them when they were adding the critters to the game, so I've enjoyed tracking down crayon art pictures etc. How much (if any) input is the official tileset going to have from them on how the weird original critters are supposed to look, as opposed to just working off the same one-line descriptions as everyone else?

If there's actually some guidance I'm really looking forward to seeing the "official" interpretations for a lot of them.

Wokko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: October 20, 2020, 06:01:21 pm »

A purple ring/spot/whatever could also be used for highlighting undead instead of a purple outline, because they attack all living creatures and are not just a "regular" enemy faction.
Giving undead purple circle is one of the best ideas here, imo.

I'd like to add on #1 and #2 selectors: the second variant looks like a physical object because of it's blurriness, looks like it has shadows, and thus is part of the world. #1 actually looks like part of UI rather than object.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 06:03:47 pm by Wokko »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: October 20, 2020, 06:06:09 pm »

Maybe night creatures and/or OPPOSED_TO_LIFE creatures in general should have purple circles?

Would Necromancers have the same marking as zombies? Unlike their creations they're not necessarily hostile, but they're certainly still dangerous in a strange non-hostile way.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2406 on: October 20, 2020, 06:39:33 pm »

bloop_bleep: Constantly? It's an optional toggle for people that specifically want to tell things apart at a glance.

I have a question regarding the various cave creatures and stuff that are original to Dwarf Fortress. I've always been pretty interested in how Toady One and Threetoe actually envisioned them when they were adding the critters to the game, so I've enjoyed tracking down crayon art pictures etc. How much (if any) input is the official tileset going to have from them on how the weird original critters are supposed to look, as opposed to just working off the same one-line descriptions as everyone else?

There are two approaches we use. At the ones where Tarn or Zach have a clear preference and vision, which we follow as closely as possible. For example the Bronze colossus isn't the coloss of Rhodes like I thought, but Talos from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_and_the_Argonauts_(1963_film) The Roc is pretty much from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_7th_Voyage_of_Sinbad A lot of pulp influences, which I love. Strangely enough, I've seen both these films.

On the other hand, there are creations that weren't given as much thought, which really only have a name. For example the cavern plants or trees. In those cases Mike or me do what we think might look good. That's after asking Tarn what he wants to do, and he wanted to see what we can come up with. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

MoltenIdol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: October 20, 2020, 06:59:07 pm »

Ring 1# is the better ring. Looking tight. Looking like UI.

Green for friendly, red for hostile, yellow for unknown, blue for neutral. Makes the most sense to me. Purple ring for undeads is nice.

IMO, all units on screen should have a halo when toggled, and hopefully have colours for all different allignments.

Itl be a great QoL feature.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: October 20, 2020, 08:09:19 pm »

It would be nice to be able to toggle just hostiles with this. Versus, say, every creature on the map being labeled, or none.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: October 20, 2020, 11:29:25 pm »

I think number one is most appropriate. I feel like the anti-aliasing of 2 makes it look less clean. The little shadow version is likely to be obscured by more a more variable amount depending on sprite size, and I don't like the blurred edges there either. 3 is okay, I just find its nature less immediately obvious since it's not as conventional, and it'll obscure more terrain. However, I think it would be good to make a proper mockup and see if some seeing-impaired folks reckon the band is thick enough. I reckon a 2px width might strike a better balance. It also depends on the degree of contrast between the ring and the ground, but the ground has a wide range of potential colors.

I also think #1 and #2 look the most fitting.

I dunno, are we sure we want doggos to carry green hula hoops around with them constantly? Imagine this in aggregate, like in a dog pen. Won't it be distracting? I'd like something subtle like #4 more.
This is meant to be something you can turn on to make things clear, or turn off otherwise. My intended "default" behavior would be that it's only on while the military menu is up. But it's definitely something that different people would have different preferences for.

neobit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Page with my goodies (games, music, photos)
« Reply #2410 on: October 21, 2020, 02:51:15 am »

It would be nice to be able to toggle just hostiles with this. Versus, say, every creature on the map being labeled, or none.
I agree with this.
Separate toggles: halo for hostiles, halo for friendly, halo for neutral. What about additional toggle with a user filter?

As for the halo itself, I also think #1 should have doggy moved more into the center i.e. ring should go a little down. I personally prefer #4 but most likely it won't be that useful on certain creatures that have more of the body in the bottom e.g. snakes.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 02:54:05 am by neobit »

MoltenIdol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: October 21, 2020, 03:03:13 pm »

Would be neat, + 1

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: October 21, 2020, 07:03:33 pm »

I lean 4.

How does a screen full of units look? I'm not thinking you're going to need your screen filled with red and green just to tell units apart.
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

ror6ax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: October 22, 2020, 10:51:55 am »

Just seen the latest Kitfox email with stockpile UI!
Looks very nice overall, but there's a problem with text alignment - text is sometimes glued to the top of the button widget, not centered inside a popup or not centered inside of extra free space on the bottom of the minimap or stockpile type list widgets. I still think a better font is needed, the more UI emerges, the more out of place the current one looks to me.

Proficient at setting myself on fire in Adventure mode.

ror6ax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: October 22, 2020, 11:00:31 am »

Amount of acidic green colour is hard on the eyes and clashes with DF aesthetic overall. It's almost looking like a high contrast theme for an operating system UI.

Perhaps a sort of engraved stone panels style with subtle green outline or hue? Like veins of colourful mineral?
Proficient at setting myself on fire in Adventure mode.
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 178