Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 455840 times)

MoltenIdol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #1230 on: March 28, 2020, 11:00:56 am »

I do like the idea of poles and ropes, but it might be a bit hard to read in busy forts, especially since it uses the tile above for the poles as well.

Edit: I tried testing it with TWBT, but sadly the stockpile doesn't count as a construction and doesn't support transparency. Would have been nice just to test it ingame ^^

I promise, I dont mean to be annoying, but that  just does not come of as stockpiles to me. It looks like steel edges on a concrete foundation of a building. Or a designation for something. Im not even sure the gridlines help me.

The poles though, i cannot possible see as anything but stockpile borders.
In regards to busy forts, it would only look bad/Weird in a busy, underground fort, the way i imagine it. IMO it would always look decent outdoors.
So you could use the borders underground.
(Also wooden poles is somehow less aesthetically pleasing indoors/underground, so I would actually almost prefer the borders, or something else indoors/underground)

Also, the ropes could be lowered a bit , to not overlap the above tile so much, even tho i honestly dont think it will ever be a problem as is.

IF you decide to use this instead of the poles,  I think you should make the "pointy things on the inside of the stockpile-border" line up with the grid lines. That might help the whole thing have less of a contrast to the environment somehow.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 11:26:45 am by MoltenIdol »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1231 on: March 28, 2020, 11:03:46 am »

Slight change:

The arrow-like indicators are now aligned with the grid.

Edit: I swear I did this before seeing the post above. XD

You are not annoying, but just so you know why there is the solid border: It needs to be visible and stand out a bit, because stockpiles come in many weird shapes and sizes. It's also similar to the border we use around a workshop. It indicates that it's a place that dwarves use for jobs.

Edit: Rekovs design with grid.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 11:12:43 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

LordBalkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: March 28, 2020, 11:25:20 am »

Not sure how happy Tarn will be about printing a potential 5 layers. For example Grass + Bush + Stockpile + Bin + Item. But I think he will be open to suggestions.

Only after I read that that the problem to "make it transparent" took form for me.

Before anything else, I do like stockpiles the way they are now, completly opaque.
Im not interested to see what is bellow the items stored there since the item is occupying the tile in anyways.

If they can be used as an exploit to prevent saplings and bushes as it was an actual construction, well... I got to say that this is not the first exploit and will not be the last.

Either transparent or just borders are indeed good looking. However, as mentioned at the beginning of my post, it have a direct impact at the way the tile layers will be programmed by Tarn. If he does agree with that, well there will be a modification to something that endure for a long time without a touch!

Made some mock-ups long ago. ^^

It's 18 types btw: 17 base + 1 for custom settings.

And now im curious hehehe.

BTW
Those mockups are displaying some tree trunks that look interesting. Im Guessing right if I say that you are preparing bark variation to specify different trees?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1233 on: March 28, 2020, 11:29:06 am »

We will do a few designs for trees, yes. Broadleaf, Conifer, Saguaro, Giant Mushrooms, Palms... not all trees for now, just the most different-looking ones.

Maybe a sign for the stockpile content? (Super rough mock-up)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

LordBalkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: March 28, 2020, 11:42:43 am »

The sign idea is applicable for transparent/border/flagged/opaque versions.
And also occured to me that if the flagged version, displaying different colors for diferent stockpiles, are applicable, then why not merge the flag colors with sign symbols?

The graphicset will improve a lot of this current obstacle of ascii since there will be a real representation for each item, but symbols do help a lot when it comes to know what stockpile was created. I do often build a quick stockpile and forget to change the category in the hurry, just to remember moments later when no one is carrying the stones to the food stockpile.

Vordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: March 28, 2020, 12:14:39 pm »

As I understand that in stockpile settings menu you will need an additional window where you can select an icon/banner/flag. As well as the required background color.
Accordingly, need a separate .txt file where the modders will be able to register the path with new icons or banners.
p.s. Maybe someone's already suggested, I didn't read last posts, only saw pics.
You'll definitely have to send to Rekov a whiskey bottle.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: March 28, 2020, 12:26:52 pm »

Ooh, the new griddy-rope thing is real nice.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: March 28, 2020, 12:48:37 pm »

Maybe worth noting, those faintly colored segmented lines work don't work at all if one is color blind (or at least the mild red/green version which isn't all that uncommon), which yeah, minority concern and all but to me at least it's kind of straining on the eyes and doesn't help with identifying what kind of stockpile it's supposed to be at all (though I suppose it depends a lot with which colours are chosen as well).

Really like the idea of marking the edges with either rope or some marking though. Personally prefer the non-ropey version or something more like it as it'd work better for a broader range of circumstances without looking weird imo (like walled off storage rooms or underground stockpiles on stone floors).
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 01:27:29 pm by Manveru Taurënér »

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: March 28, 2020, 01:49:30 pm »

Probably most stockpiles will end up on stone floors given the ease at which dwarves can expand underground.  Are you thinking of having different stockpile boundaries depending on whether it is on stone, grass, sand, etc?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1239 on: March 28, 2020, 01:54:45 pm »

Probably most stockpiles will end up on stone floors given the ease at which dwarves can expand underground.  Are you thinking of having different stockpile boundaries depending on whether it is on stone, grass, sand, etc?
Absolutely not. They need to be easily identifiable.

Let's assume you get visited by a werebeast... would these be sufficiently werebeasty? :P

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: March 28, 2020, 01:58:09 pm »

Yes, very werey!
FPS in Gravearmor (925+ dwarves) is 2-5 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: March 28, 2020, 02:05:14 pm »

I did a little mock up just for fun with serious and ridiculous examples.
I like the wood, though I find stone and metal rods with stone plaques a better fit.
Im wondering if the checked stockpile pattern isn't very ingrained in DF by now. Deviating from it is a little soul-crushing don't you think? :D

The above is not at all the steam tileset, it's me playing around.
Actually I forgot what my point was while making these. But I think it was something with showing off stockpiles inside rather than focusing how they look outside and using dwarfish materials rather than wood. :D

Absolutely not. They need to be easily identifiable.

Let's assume you get visited by a werebeast... would these be sufficiently werebeasty? :P

They lack that scary Night creature factor, maybe give the sprites a spooky light source and glowing eyes. Extreme hunch and long claws would also be a plus. What differes werebeasts from animal men otherwise?

EDIT: I liked the Purple/dark ones you did, I think that still is the way to go

Also shout out to Kruggsmashs great werebeast art.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 02:21:21 pm by vettlingr »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1242 on: March 28, 2020, 02:20:23 pm »

Im wondering if the checked stockpile pattern isn't very ingrained in DF by now. Deviating from it is a little soul-crushing don't you think?
Not if you look through those: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=175652.msg8091873#msg8091873 That's 49 images, with 3 sets using a chessboard design for stockpiles. Most go with a "=" sign. I don't mind the checkerboard personally.

I like your example, of course with a constructed floor and a pre-set red that contrasts well with the background, it's bound to look amazing. ;)

Werebeasts are much larger (Mock-up with rough animal-men variants):

« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 02:23:43 pm by Meph »

Proudbucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: March 28, 2020, 02:23:35 pm »

Yes, those look identifiable and good.
They look much more dangerous than the animal people shown before.

Vordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: March 28, 2020, 02:43:48 pm »

You don't seem to know much about scary.)

Yea yea, I know that corrupting someone else's art is unacceptable, but I just couldn't get past.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 178