Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 454536 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Steam DF tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #420 on: April 04, 2019, 05:20:02 am »

I'm fairly certain it's hardware rendering. But only Tarn can answer that.

First pass at elemental men. Mud, Blood, Gabbro, Iron, Amethyst, Blizzard, Magma, Fire Men. Feel free to critique, they all share the same basic body layout and took 2h of slight changes and retextures. ^^

::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: April 04, 2019, 05:44:34 am »

Then what did toady mean by software rendering in latest fdf?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: April 04, 2019, 05:53:59 am »

Then what did toady mean by software rendering in latest fdf?
Here's the conversation he had with mifki on the subject (and whatever else they may have discussed offline).
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=138754.2610

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 04, 2019, 06:10:26 am »

So as i understand from that post and sdl descriptions: DF is on sdl 1 now which has limited or even zero hardware acceleration. There is an option to quickly upgrade to sdl2 if it won't take too much time and only in case if current rendering time gonna start to take too much time with all new animations and graphics. Speaking about more sustainable rendering upgrade: this option is not considered at  all at least using the volunteers power.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: April 04, 2019, 07:32:09 am »

(Hailing from an age with zero dedicated GPUs and 'mere' multi-MHz single-core 16-bit-or-less CPUs yet still seemingly capable of rendering at least SVGA level graphics with no appreciable problems rendering so much graphical detail, in-between the movement and behaviour calculations of all kinds of on-screen-and-off sprite-entities, one wonders how on Earth all the current equivalent processing power has been sucked up that now you need off-Mobo resources that have power enough to simultaneously control entire armadas of Moon missions, just to compose and place tiles into a paging area. Some version of Parkinson's Law outpacing Moore's, probably, but aimed more at the OS/HAL/driver-writers than the 'end user' artists such as this thread's primary benefactors. Anyway, enough about that...)

Mud, Blood and Dangerous To Know, indeed.

I rather imagined a Blizzard Man to be slightly more disassociated mass of whirling snowflakes/hail (Man-Of-Bees-ish, but white and not buzzing?), but that's just from the name. If (haven't checked) it's more like a packed snow-man, then that's me that was wrong. But as you have wisps of fire in the latter of those (and glow of heat from his cousin), perhaps some sort of flurry effect in the surrounds? Your call, obviously.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 07:38:42 am by Starver »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #425 on: April 04, 2019, 08:09:39 am »

Blizzard men = A large humanoid monster from the wild tundra.  It has translucent skin, icicles for teeth, red glowing eyes and pointed ears.

[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES]

Pretty standard humanoid, except for the skin, teeth and eye color. The fire men are actually made out of fire.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: April 04, 2019, 09:08:59 am »

I thought I might have been perpetually mislead by the name. As you were, then.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: April 04, 2019, 10:56:28 am »

Why is the blood bubbling? Blood doesn't do that.

Blizzard men = A large humanoid monster from the wild tundra.  It has translucent skin, icicles for teeth, red glowing eyes and pointed ears.

[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES]

Pretty standard humanoid, except for the skin, teeth and eye color.
Sounds like the golem body shape is maybe not the best fit then? Between translucent skin and pointed ears it sounds very elfin. Just, a very northerly elfin monster, with big teeth. Definitely not seeing the ice-sculpted blue thing you've drawn.

Something about the knee position is also odd. Especially the ones standing in a pile of what their bodies are made of, but they look like they're in the middle of skateboarding up to the just-for-scale dude.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: April 04, 2019, 12:46:29 pm »

Liamar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: April 04, 2019, 12:50:49 pm »

@Japa mind using spoilers for images?

@Meph will you and Mayday be making colored variants for sprites of players, friendly and enemy units? I am currently confused by the hordes of goblin-raised dwarves invading me.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #430 on: April 04, 2019, 12:52:13 pm »

Japa: Thanks. :) Oversized head with oversized teeth it is. :)

@Meph will you and Mayday be making colored variants for sprites of players, friendly and enemy units? I am currently confused by the hordes of goblin-raised dwarves invading me.
Ehm... not really, but the equipped item sprites might depend on the civ. That's just spitballing here, but there is a small chance that their equipment will look goblin-like.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #431 on: April 04, 2019, 04:37:39 pm »

In the process of correcting the animals: horse, pig, cavy and drake done. On the fence with the peacock - did some changes and I think I'll leave it at that. Roc at the bottom.

Bronze colossus:
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 05:10:13 pm by Mike Mayday »
<3

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: April 04, 2019, 05:13:39 pm »

The legs on that colossus look... disjointed? Aye, disjointed at the hip. It detracts from the feeling of weight the colossus should have, the feeling of stability.

You did an excellent touch-up job on those peafowl-- the detail on that tail is lovely to behold-- and the roc is fearsome, as it should be. Very nice.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: April 04, 2019, 05:49:34 pm »

Oh, I just realised what feels weird with the peacock, the body/plumage proportions are just waaay off:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Probably intentional what with the limited space? Still, probably better to reduce the body size a tad at least even if it makes them seem a bit too small in comparison to the other birds. If one were to not leave it at that that is.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: April 04, 2019, 10:33:39 pm »

On the fence with the peacock - did some changes and I think I'll leave it at that.
It's a big improvement, and definitely it could be hard to get it much better with respect to the form of the creature. But considering that the wings are visible in your sprite, they should probably be the colors of peacock wings (white, black, and orange) and not just blue. Whether you can actually see them when the animal is displaying depends on the angle a lot but it's not unbelievable for it to be visible from the angle you've got.

Also, there is gonna be a female turkey, right?

Oh, I just realised what feels weird with the peacock, the body/plumage proportions are just waaay off:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Probably intentional what with the limited space? Still, probably better to reduce the body size a tad at least even if it makes them seem a bit too small in comparison to the other birds. If one were to not leave it at that that is.
Eh, I think that's fine. Everything in this art style is a bit caricaturized, for example look at the human for scale in Meph's image; his head is nearly a third of his total height. The main problems were shape/giss, but although there's still some things a bit off there (I think the breast is too fat, for one) it's definitely recognizable as a peacock now, and would be even without the color or tail.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 11:00:36 pm by Cruxador »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 178