Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 454513 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Steam DF tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #390 on: April 01, 2019, 10:17:57 am »

Pond Grabber.

Like this?

Edit: Hungry Head:
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 11:01:34 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #391 on: April 01, 2019, 11:06:24 am »

Have at it, then. :P (That one is a floating guts. Amoeba with clear skin and visible organs)

Floating guts also have a heart. Maybe add it and make the guts more "gutsy"(thicker) to make it more easily recognizable? Especially if animated sprites don't go through.

Edit: Cave floater?

According to the raws their color is "clear", which is seemingly identical to the "grey" color. I'm not sure how this ties into them being a yellow "f" in ASCII, though. Or is their gas green?

The most iconic RPG enemy. ^^
Edit: And a flesh ball, liked for their calming roundness:

These look a bit flat. Do they look better against a cavern floor? I would also argue the flesh-ball could have more of a meat-ball texture, though that might be a strange (and uncommon) preference. What is the orange stuff at the bottom of the second cave blob picture?

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 01, 2019, 11:15:50 am »

Like this?

Yeah, definitely better in my opinion at least ^^

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #393 on: April 01, 2019, 11:29:40 am »

Floating guts are named for their guts... thought I best show those.

Cave floaters are indeed clear (white). I somehow automatically made them green, because green=poison gas, in my mind. Will be corrected. Or yellow, like their tile.

Orange stuff under cave blob is the blob excretions/extracts. Blobs cover the ground with slime, like a snail.

Flat? It's perfectly round. ^^

lil' creep'n eye anyone?
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 01, 2019, 11:36:28 am »

Maybe I missed an update on the subject, but was the whole animated creature sprites thing happening then, or still undecided but these being done just in case? Looking great either way!

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 01, 2019, 12:44:29 pm »

[Probably still not as bad as changing the floating guts into a pile of guts though.

I second the request, please make the floating guts float.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #396 on: April 01, 2019, 12:46:01 pm »

[Probably still not as bad as changing the floating guts into a pile of guts though.

No. Floating guts don't actually float. It's the guts floating inside of the blob.

Giant Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 01, 2019, 01:18:55 pm »

Sorry, if this was already asked.
But will the Graphics-Overhaul also allow to scroll and zoom smoothly?

This would be an absolute killer feature, which would also make the game a lot more accessible and appealing to newer players.
I mean, no doubt I will buy it anyways (and so will a lot of DF-fans), but I think there's a potential for a lot more customers with "polish"-things like this.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 01, 2019, 01:26:03 pm »

Like this?

Yeah, definitely better in my opinion at least ^^
I agree that it's better, but it would still be more accurate for the entire body to match the head. The helmet is notable for its plumpness after all, not its color.

Edit: And a flesh ball, liked for their calming roundness:

These look a bit flat. Do they look better against a cavern floor? I would also argue the flesh-ball could have more of a meat-ball texture, though that might be a strange (and uncommon) preference.
I like their current coloration. I think the flesh balls are the ones that currently best capture the surreal absurdity that is present in the raws and descriptions of the cavern creatures. At least of the first batch, I like the creeping eye too. Although for an animation I'd have rather made the the digits creep than the eye bob and blink. But I appreciate that it would be more work.

No. Floating guts don't actually float. It's the guts floating inside of the blob.
That's what we're talking about. Right now, they're just piled up with a layer of blob on top. If that's how the creature looked, it would be called "slimy gut pile". The guts should instead be suspended within the blob so that they appear as though they're floating. Your depiction also has more actual guts than the creature should. Remove a lot of guts and leave the space blank, and your guts will float appropriately within the gooey mantle. But it might work better if you draw a digestive system and heart and draw a gooey perimeter around that rather than having it match the other slime as a default.

Floating guts are named for their guts... thought I best show those.
As shown now they look more like brains. Keep in mind that few taxa have absolute masses of small intestine like humans and other advanced mammals.

Cave floaters are indeed clear (white). I somehow automatically made them green, because green=poison gas, in my mind. Will be corrected. Or yellow, like their tile.
It's definitely a good idea to double check the raws on Toady's fictional creatures. It's easy to have a mistaken perception of them that never really changes after it's initial formation, and that's more true the more alien they are.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: April 01, 2019, 01:46:20 pm »

Yeah, the thing is how to make it apparent that they just float inside a transparent blob, instead of simply a transparent slime with guts on the bottom.

Then again, the raws do say that it is small and has no limbs, so, not too different from slimes.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: April 01, 2019, 01:53:00 pm »

I agree that it's better, but it would still be more accurate for the entire body to match the head. The helmet is notable for its plumpness after all, not its color.

That would probably make it less clearly identifiable as a "mushroom" man (as the caps do tend to have more color generally). I agree it would make sense to give it a rounded cap considering the name though :P

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #401 on: April 01, 2019, 03:54:24 pm »

Maybe I missed an update on the subject, but was the whole animated creature sprites thing happening then, or still undecided but these being done just in case? Looking great either way!
Sorry that I missed this earlier: Animations are a possibility. As far as I understood Toady, the coding side would not be too hard; the game already has alt-tiles for vermin creatures anyway.

The problem would be the time/budget for creatures. If there are 767 creatures, each with child/undead version, that's 2200-ish sprites. With a 3 frame animation each, that's 4400 extra sprites. Depending on the animation, it ranges from "move everything 1px down", over "twiggling appendages" all the way to custom sprites, like the 3 versions of wings in different states of being folded.

It might be a bit excessive for the first Steam release.

But I wanted to create some animations, just in case, and to show Toady how it would look. Maybe he'll like it so much that he adds the possibility. :)

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: April 01, 2019, 04:51:48 pm »

Well, if it counts for anything, I love the little jumpiness thing we have going on here. Reminds me of Crypt of the Necrodancer.

Now that you mention twigging appendages, have you guys and toady worked out the overview of how procedural creatures are going to be represented yet?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #403 on: April 01, 2019, 04:53:46 pm »

Now that you mention twigging appendages, have you guys and toady worked out the overview of how procedural creatures are going to be represented yet?
Sure, we frankenstein them together from bodyparts. They will not look 100% their description, but close enough to make a difference. :)

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 01, 2019, 05:02:19 pm »

Oh, I'm sure that will be just lovely to handle! Since it looks like we can't be pleased with the small creatures even when we agree on how they look. I don't envy you.

Maybe Toady can make the game color your sprites based on the creature's body material? That already works to a certain extent, right?
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 178