Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 94

Author Topic: The Left-Hand Path  (Read 116398 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Left-Hand Path
« Reply #1095 on: March 27, 2020, 01:49:34 pm »

Also, after creating Birdcrab, send him out and back once to tell us the general guard amount/layout/patrol routes of the checkpoint. Do this before sending him with Ratwise.
i thought we were creating Ratcrab, who would be led there by Puppetbird

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: March 27, 2020, 02:05:50 pm »

Also, after creating Birdcrab, send him out and back once to tell us the general guard amount/layout/patrol routes of the checkpoint. Do this before sending him with Ratwise.
i thought we were creating Ratcrab, who would be led there by Puppetbird

Whoops. Create Birdcrab first and send him to recon as detailed above, and then transfer Mr. Crabs to the rat for the actual operation, turning the bird into a puppet.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1097 on: March 29, 2020, 12:58:26 pm »

As an addition: We have a relatively high quality crab spirit in one of our skeleton that we have further enhanced by combining it with another spirit. Furthermore, we have the ability to transfer spirits from one animated body to another. So I suggest we remove the crab spirit (which we shall name Mr. Crab) from the skeleton and try putting it in a rat/mouse if it looks like it can contain it. That way, not only will it have a higher chance of completing its mission but when it's done we can just put it back into its skeleton and have it transcribe things or even answer some questions. Make sure it's well fed and understands that it should do its best to remain unseen while trying to find the information. Also make sure to state its objective in a way it understands.
+1, if the crab spirit turns out to be too big, we should put it back into the skeleton and put one of the others inside

+1
+1 But I think we should name it Mr. Crabs instead.
You leave the table and head back up to the medical section of the library, returning to where the skeletons are waiting. You have Piecewise bring you a rat and proceed to tear the spirit from the skeleton and put it in the rat. Despite the large difference in size, it does work and the rat reanimates with the large phantom as its motive force.

You head back to Esme and tell her the new plan. She considers it for a moment and then nods.

"Its a good idea, limits our risk. You'll need a large bird for it. Hawk or something else predatory that would be able to carry a rat.  We could buy a tame one...or try to find a dead one so we don't have to kill it. Or we could just kill one in the wild."  She looks up at you "We should enact all this from somewhere in the wilderness, by the way. There are a lot of eyes in a city, and a hawk carrying a rat, both of them with necromantic tethers, could draw attention. I think we ought to head out under the guise of camping, stop as close to the checkpoint as we can, and then use that as a base for operations.  I'll go check a map, see if there are approved campsites anywhere nearby."

She returns a moment later with a large topographical map, spreading it out on the table in front of you. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
She then seems to trace roads you can't see until finally tapping her finger on a particular spot.

"We're in luck, the prison and the checkpoint are all on what is technically a national park here.  Its all government land, so they probably put it there so they could build it without having to attract any attention.  The road..." she traces what looks like a natural canyon with a finger tip," follows this path, with the prison in this clearing area here. We should be able to 'camp' somewhere up near this cliff here and send your spies off from there. Might even be able to watch them go and come back."

She sees you squinting at the map.

"Ah. Sorry. Maps are a controlled information, especially maps showing governmental buildings and installations. We only have topographical maps here, so we can't be in volition of censorship laws, but I have many other maps memorized. I'm just remembering where things are with this."

You nod and then bring up that the "You" has become "We" the more she talks about this. She rests her elbows on the table and sighs.

"Yeah, I wasn't up for an assault but if we're just spying then...Well I just spent a hour or two trying to defend you so being there to see what you do will at least give me a better footing to argue on. Plus I think us together is a better cover story than you and your rubber faced bodyguard."

She looks at the map again, thinking aloud.

"So a Hawk, some camping gear, and a good cover story.  Anything I'm forgetting?"

« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 01:14:40 pm by piecewise »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: March 29, 2020, 02:15:12 pm »

"Sounds good to me"

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: March 29, 2020, 03:28:35 pm »

"Anything we should know about what your co-conspirators might think of this? Or are we giving them any information at all?

If we're not telling them, and you're going with us, they might notice your absence.

In fact, you might need to tell Nicolas a cover story for him to use if any mysterious strangers - government, informant, or conspirator - happen to notice your absence.

Speaking of which, if the government was so hell-bent on rooting out all traces of me Kelley, how come they haven't found you yet? Did they not keep tabs on who was associated with him?"
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 04:25:45 pm by Eschar »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1100 on: March 29, 2020, 04:08:56 pm »

"Anything we should know about what your co-conspirators might think of this? Or are we giving them any information at all?

If we're not telling them, and you're going with us, they might notice your absence.

In fact, you might need to tell Nicolas a cover story for him to use if any mysterious strangers - government, informant, or conspirator - happen to notice your absence.

Speaking of which, if the government was so hell-bent on rooting out all traces of me Kelley, how come they haven't found you yet? Did they not keep tabs on who was associated with him?

That last part was because she was actually in another country, the country that's at war with this one. Kelley left that place to come here (probably because this country's no-ethics approach to research gave him more liberty to experiment) and then a long time later she came here as a spy for her country's government with the official goal of helping the war effort and the personal goal of finding Kelley. It was explained here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173328.msg7953741#msg7953741

But I agree with everything else, those are good questions. Then camping trip is a go!
It would be great if we could buy a bird, maybe with the excuse of using it somehow for the library. Otherwise we could always trap a small bird using something like a sticky stick trap and then use that to lure a bigger bird. Or we could even take that rifle we bought, assuming we wouldn't get in trouble for carrying it.
Remember to get our cover story in order, so that we know how to act when we're together. Are we brother and sister going back to where we had family camping trips together, are we  an assistant helping Esme do some field research, are we a couple going to spend our time looking at the sights?
Remember to bring things that would be useful in a camping trip. Blankets, food, etc. It would help if some of them could double as weapons (e.g. utility knife) or cores (sewing needles maybe?).

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: March 29, 2020, 05:31:19 pm »

Speaking of which, if the government was so hell-bent on rooting out all traces of me Kelley, how come they haven't found you yet? Did they not keep tabs on who was associated with him?

That last part was because she was actually in another country, the country that's at war with this one. Kelley left that place to come here (probably because this country's no-ethics approach to research gave him more liberty to experiment) and then a long time later she came here as a spy for her country's government with the official goal of helping the war effort and the personal goal of finding Kelley. It was explained here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173328.msg7953741#msg7953741

But I agree with everything else, those are good questions. Then camping trip is a go!
It would be great if we could buy a bird, maybe with the excuse of using it somehow for the library. Otherwise we could always trap a small bird using something like a sticky stick trap and then use that to lure a bigger bird. Or we could even take that rifle we bought, assuming we wouldn't get in trouble for carrying it.
Remember to get our cover story in order, so that we know how to act when we're together. Are we brother and sister going back to where we had family camping trips together, are we  an assistant helping Esme do some field research, are we a couple going to spend our time looking at the sights?
Remember to bring things that would be useful in a camping trip. Blankets, food, etc. It would help if some of them could double as weapons (e.g. utility knife) or cores (sewing needles maybe?).

+1

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: March 29, 2020, 08:08:40 pm »

Camping with Esme!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: March 30, 2020, 06:16:48 am »

A fun family camping trip where we use dead animals as spies, just like when I went camping as a child.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1104 on: April 01, 2020, 09:16:29 am »

+1

"I'll let them know what we're doing. That should be enough. And no, I won't need a cover story. This is a private library remember?  The number of people coming through is quite small, just agents of our network and some university faculty we allow in as a cover. There's a girl they always bring in to cover for me while I'm out; its all set up already. Or did you think I never went out of missions of my own?" She smirks at you.

You ask about how the government hasn't come for her yet, considering their furor for stamping out anything to do with Kelley.

"They don't know I'm here and my documents are all fake anyways. And that's even assuming they bothered to look into his life before he immigrated. I'm willing to bet they don't really care. They only care about discrediting him and erasing past praise. They're not going to wipe out everyone who has ever come in contact with him, just anyone who...makes a nuisance of themselves about it."

You ask Esme if they have any specimens of birds. Like in formaldehyde or something of the kind. You might be able to animate one of those.

"No...unfortunately we don't have any of those on hand. But its a good idea. I do know a guy who might be able to get us one though. He provides specimens for museums and universities, not to mention animals for educational dissection. We might be able to get one from him under the cover of having it as an exhibit. I can give you his address if you want to handle it while I work on getting our cover stories built up. You could get the camping supplies as well. "

She looks at you hard for a moment.

"I'm thinking cousins. A lot of the time lovers or spouses is the general cover but considering the situation...I think relations is better.  Plus your skeleton would be an odd third wheel for a romantic getaway."

She gives you a new wallet full of cash and the address and name of the guy who could provide a specimen, as well as the address for a store that would carry what you need for camping.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: April 01, 2020, 09:33:52 am »

Yeah, we really need to not call her Es on this trip.

Buy specimens and supplies. Don't get noticed. Pay attention if it seems anyone is looking at us longer than usual while we're out
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 04:24:48 pm by Eschar »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: April 01, 2020, 09:53:45 am »

Buy specimens and supplies. Don't get notices. Pay attention if it seems anyone is looking at us longer than usual while we're out
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: April 01, 2020, 03:34:33 pm »

Buy specimens and supplies. Don't get notices. Pay attention if it seems anyone is looking at us longer than usual while we're out
+1
+1 what do you mean by notices? Did you mean noticed? Either way works

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1108 on: April 04, 2020, 01:58:53 pm »

+1
+1 what do you mean by notices? Did you mean noticed? Either way works

The Specimen man turns out to be a nervous, skinny thing, a good foot shorter than you. His "Office" is a converted duplex, where the entire lower store has been transformed into a warehouse of sorts for all sorts of biological samples. You ask him about a hawk large enough to hold a rat and he digs in the back for a while before returning. He explains at length that birds aren't generally kept preserved like other animals since their plumage is such an important aspect of their identification. He shows examples of what amount to hollowed out birds with nothing left but skeleton, dried skin and feathers coated in some kind of glue to keep them on the flesh.  He does say you're in luck though. He has not a hawk, but a juvenile brown eagle that hasn't been processed yet, just pumped full of preservatives. He gives it to you in something that looks like an oversized flower box, tied up with string.

You take your rather odd package and head over to the store Esme recommended for camping supplies. It appears to be an outdoor store, mostly for hunting gear but with some general camping goods as well. You buy everything you think you'll need and get it packed into the new duffel bags and backpacks you bought before heading back home. On the way back you notice something. There are more of those patrols out right now, stopping random people on the street and asking them for identification. You manage to side step them, but getting back without running into one right now seems like it will be hard.  You do have your papers on you right now...so you might be able to just pass by like a normal citizen. You even have explanations for all the stuff you're carrying, and you're not armed so. There should be no problem...However you could also try and wait a while, hide out in an alley or shop or something and wait for the patrols to lighten.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1109 on: April 05, 2020, 04:22:00 am »

Keep going. Hiding in an alley or something will make us look more suspicious. And if night falls and traffic becomes reduced we will be more suspicious or at least more likely to be stopped. Stick to crowded streets as much as possible and keep going.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 94