Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 35

Author Topic: Sand & Souls - Let There Be Turns  (Read 60674 times)

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
Re: Sand & Souls - World Creation RTD
« Reply #210 on: March 13, 2019, 12:23:59 am »

Hynsyr decides to take a break from his newest project by dealing with one of the greatest dangers to the Lightfolk. If the Sands think they can devour what Hynsyr has wrought into this world then it shall know the unflinching fury of the Light. Hynsyr hefts his spears, gathers his power, and goes to eradicate the surrounding Demon pests who would attempt harass his children.
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 13, 2019, 02:41:55 am »

"So it's a only pure force you understand"
Use my primal connection to the ooze itself to scatter it across the lands, and reform my body later.
((Will I die from that absurd, maybe))
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 13, 2019, 06:58:23 am »

"Aw crap we forgot a bridge."
The deer men and the glass robot will build a bridge across the moat, while I try to make a hemp plant and a potato plant out of something.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

MrThrowaway

• Bay Watcher
  • The Trashman
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 13, 2019, 06:14:55 pm »

Try banging the heart against the wall maybe that'll hurt the sands and give time to bring the heart to the surface
el basurero

WyrdByrd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 13, 2019, 09:07:33 pm »

Send a delegation of Ironwinged to the council. Like it or not, they're still denizens of the great web, and have a right to speak on it's future.  The Buzzards, having  new options presented to them by way of Kuhaku, are granted the armor crafted for them, and encouraged to find a home around one of the new lakes.

Having witnessed the threats presented, both at home and afar, Gral begins to craft a weapon: a series of thin, feather-like blades, designed to be easily usable when fastened to wings.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 13, 2019, 09:30:44 pm »

Well that worked considerably better than I could have expected.

Don the armor. Implore the sands to grant me an obsidian haft to complete the axe.

For a few minutes, Awake does nothing but process his experience and wait for his body to cool off. He remembers being larger, stronger, made of nothing instead of mere flesh, but the details are all hazy. They fade from memory like a dream, until Awake isn't entirely certain that anything occurred at all. Or he wouldn't be, if the armor and axehead hadn't miraculously been extracted from the Grave.

He stands up, and examines his resolidified body. The stone is still a little lopsided where Awake collapsed under his own weight, and he needs to snap his merged fingers apart to regain some manual dexterity, but he body feels pleasantly sturdy again. In fact, he feels well enough to bear the weight of Gyaweft's armor. He slips the plates of metal onto his body and stands up, feeling oddly invigorated. An inner heat still burns within the metal, and Awake finds that he can direct it out into the world if he focuses. It scorches the sand and causes the air to shimmer, but does not seem to harm Awake regardless of how hot it burns. He can sense other powers and connections in his armor as well, just beyond his reach.

He also asks the sand to create a handle for the dawn axehead, but instead of responding it overwhelms Awake with a scream of pain. The connection between them is cut off moments later, and the Shardform cannot seem to establish it again.

Big wall of text

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The High Council of the Web gathers around Nazir. The other representatives fall silent as he gives them his final decrees, and listen attentively when he asks them to propose plans for the future of the Web. While they are of many minds on each issue, they do their best to discuss matters civilly. Each issue that is raised is addressed, and possible solutions are listed out when delegates can propose a reasonable course of action.

Most seem to agree that the creatures of the sand are the worst threat to the Great Web, perhaps followed by the steel maggots of the Shifting Bog. The Dustwalkers are especially passionate about the issue, but not even they can suggest many other species which deserve to be eliminated completely.

Opinions are split on the matter of expansion and overpopulation. Some Spiderlings believe that they should invade the sand, the Swamp, and the Wetlands. Others propose moving into the city of the Lightfolk and trying to all with Hynsyr, while others believe that expanding the great web would be the best option. They do unanimously agree that aetherweavers should attempt to develop light spells, so that they can produce additional sources of sustenance.

The Primelings are fairly similar to each other right now, but Nazir can already see them developing personalities and eccentricities of their own. It may take time for them to diverge from each other to an appreciable degree, but they will ultimately become fully individual. The flaws in their design manifest differently in each Primeling, but generally they take the form of weaker, missing, or oddly distorted powers. One Primeling also shows signs of slight mental instability, but after Nazir observes it for a short while, they conclude that the problems do not seem overly dangerous.

Hynsyr decides to take a break from his newest project by dealing with one of the greatest dangers to the Lightfolk. If the Sands think they can devour what Hynsyr has wrought into this world then it shall know the unflinching fury of the Light. Hynsyr hefts his spears, gathers his power, and goes to eradicate the surrounding Demon pests who would attempt harass his children.

2 v 5-2

Hynsyr picks up his twelve spears and strides out into the desert, where a horde of demons awaits him. The creatures are already feasting upon the corpses of the Brass Buzzards, but when the Titan approaches they turn towards him as one. The creatures do not seem nearly as confident themselves when bathed in the light of a Primordial, but they mob the Hynsyr anyway, doing their best to overwhelm him with sheer force of numbers. He beats them back with his radiant weapons, but there are too many for him to fell at once, until a strange wave passes through the sand. Demons screech in agony and stop fighting so that they can curl up in the fetal position. Hynsyr strikes them down one after another until they regain their senses, but even then then their charge seems ill-fated. Another wave of pain passes resonates through them, and this time each and every one of the monsters retreats to lick its wounds.

"So it's a only pure force you understand"
Use my primal connection to the ooze itself to scatter it across the lands, and reform my body later.
((Will I die from that absurd, maybe))

Faced with an enemy that cannot be defeated through willpower alone, AJAMA turns to brute force instead. It separates its spirit from its body, and then projects thousands of pounds of telekinetic force into the goo around it, ripping apart the ooze-born sphere it has been inhabiting, the cannibalistic Ooze Elemental, and every remaining blobs of chaos ooze. Gelatinous drops are blown thousands of feet across the sand and into the lower reaches of the Web. A few land near substances they can assimilate, and small ooze colonies grow across the world.

A few bits of more resilient ooze are left behind, none of which can interact directly with AJAMA's spirit. Its uncontained essence frays at the edges, now that the Demiurge has no body to inhabit, but for the time being it is safe from further attack.

"Aw crap we forgot a bridge."
The deer men and the glass robot will build a bridge across the moat, while I try to make a hemp plant and a potato plant out of something.

Deer-Men: 2+1 , Robot: 6
Dr. Bob: 3

The Deer-Men toss glass bricks into the moat until they're piled high enough to breach the surface. The resulting bridge is unsturdy and incredibly slick, but then someone commands the automaton to fill the spaces between bricks with mud. It chisels a few glass containers out of a nearby block and uses them to haul bucketfuls of sand from the shore to the middle of the lake, where it dumps them onto the old pile of bricks. This process makes the original bridge far more stable, but also allows the sand to exert some control over it. The earth wiggles back and forth every now and then, dumping Deer-Men into the water.

Inside the tower, Dr. Bob gathers up handfuls of glas dust and squeezes them between his hands. The compressed material transforms into rock, and then into a handful of seeds. They scatter across the floor when Dr. Bob releases his grip, but no amount of coaxing can persuade them to take root in glass.

Try banging the heart against the wall maybe that'll hurt the sands and give time to bring the heart to the surface

Ira: 4 v Sand: 1 & Apollyon: 2

Ira forces the heart downwards and smashes it against the top of the obsidian shell she found it in. Jagged pieces of stone carve cuts in its surface, and both of the worm's opponents shudder in pain. She uses the opening to tunnel upwards at maximum speed, before either the sand or the orb of nothingness can work up the strength to pursue her. They follow at a distance, but when they arrive at the surface it is already far too late to retaliate.

Ira leaps up into the air, Absent Heart clutched firmly in her mouth. A thin umbilical cord connects it to the ground, until Ira severs the connection by biting directly through the cord. Another disturbance passes through the world, and something shifts. Wisps of nothingness boil up from beneath the ground, having suddenly become incompatible. The earth itself quakes with fury.

Spoiler: Souls (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: World (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 13, 2019, 09:52:02 pm »

Hmph. No time. Find the source of this disturbance and end it.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 14, 2019, 01:04:10 am »

If I have any left, I take control of one of the ooze spheres, if not then the anti star.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 14, 2019, 02:46:31 am »

Hm, the winged were already invited, they are my children despite their flaws.
But, to be honest, Gral, silken nest is not connected to great web even by single tread.

Suggest the council several things, have council offer its own proposals and have the vote
Spoiler: suggestions to council (click to show/hide)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 14, 2019, 03:53:29 am »

Gather the hemp and potato seeds I made and plant them in the sand next to the moat and see if they grow, the deer men can play in the water or make sand castles or whatever they want.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 14, 2019, 10:07:55 am »

Hynsyr returns to attempting to build the Fortress-Temple for Yig.
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

MrThrowaway

• Bay Watcher
  • The Trashman
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 14, 2019, 03:20:49 pm »

Climb something to get away from the ground
el basurero

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 14, 2019, 04:11:59 pm »

Delayed Turn for Gral

Send a delegation of Ironwinged to the council. Like it or not, they're still denizens of the great web, and have a right to speak on it's future.  The Buzzards, having  new options presented to them by way of Kuhaku, are granted the armor crafted for them, and encouraged to find a home around one of the new lakes.

Having witnessed the threats presented, both at home and afar, Gral begins to craft a weapon: a series of thin, feather-like blades, designed to be easily usable when fastened to wings.

Ironwinged: 4
Buzzards: 2
Gral: 6

Another group of Ironwinged are sent to join the High Council. While their presence does not earth the Silken Nest any additional votes, the delegates do act in diplomatic and advisory roles. While they broker numerous small deals in private, including a small trade agreement with the Dustwalkers, their most important accomplishment might be a public statement about the Pact-Arms scandal. While it doesn't mend the Ironwinged's image completely, the other clans become more comfortable with the Bargain, its applications in aetherweaving, and Gral itself.

The remaining Buzzards don their armor and fly down to the ground. They roost near large lakes and rivers in the wetlands, which provide easy access to drinking water, but most of the birds are somewhat unsatisfied with their new home. There aren't many plants or animals, which makes it difficult to hunt for food, and the constant rain tends to make them restless. Most of the flock ends up migrating between the Wetlands and the Great Web, where they restrain themselves but inevitably end up causing trouble anyway.

Gral perches on a strand of silk, then plucks some of its own feathers. It lays them out in front of itself and sharpens them carefully, using its beak as a whetstone, until each has a razor-thin edge. They begin to slice through the webbing beneath them as soon as Gral sets them down, but when it picks the blades up to prevent them from falling, they carve holes in the Contractor's talons as well. Each steel pinion is a lethal weapon in its own right, but they cut so quickly and seamlessly that they are a danger to their wielder as well.

Spoiler: Brief Note (click to show/hide)

WyrdByrd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 14, 2019, 09:00:05 pm »

Have the Ironweavers, mindful of the Pact-arms scandal, create a new form of Barter: Tribute Tokens, flat metal disks marked with the symbol of the Silken Nest and infused with the power of Bargain.  These forms of currency can be used amongst  groups reluctant to abide by traditional Pacts.
 For the most  dissatisfied Buzzards, a new solution can be put in place:  Have them work out a contract with the Bone Fort as mercenaries, providing for food, nesting space , and  armorers, in exchange for free reign on its enemies.

In order to rectify this new weapon, Gral crafts a set of protective talon coverings out of Ironwoven  metal,  enabling easy handling of the pinions.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 14, 2019, 09:29:58 pm »

Hmph. No time. Find the source of this disturbance and end it.
Climb something to get away from the ground

Nothingness Grand Prix: Awake: 4 / Sand: 5 / Ira: 4
Ira: 3 v Sand: 1

Awake can no longer ask the sand to guide him towards the threat, but after a moment of contemplation he realizes that the first wave of pain was tied to a location. He knows where it originated from in the same way he might feel a needle piercing his arm, except that the part which hurt was entirely unconnected to his body. In fact, it was several miles away from the glass crater, near the site of ALTERTH's first death. The Shardform runs there as quickly as he can - and with his capabilities augmented by the Armor, that turns out to be very quickly indeed.

As he sprints towards the center of the known world, Awake glimpses an enormous sandworm. If not for the massive black heart that Ira is dragging behind her, she would likely be covering just as much ground as he is. Instead he is gaining on her, but not quickly enough to catch up before she makes her escape. The omnipresent sand, on the other hand, is not burdened by mortal concepts like "distance." Tendrils spring up from the ground, but in a stunning display, the World-Eater dispatches them with bites and tail-slaps before they can coalesce more fully. For her finale she climbs up the nearest strand of the Great Web, where sand cannot pursue her.

If I have any left, I take control of one of the ooze spheres, if not then the anti star.

Ooze-Spheres: 3
AJAMA: 3

The ooze-spheres were all heavily damaged by the explosion, but a few of them are still intact enough for AJAMA's purposes. It combines two chunks of semisolid ooze to create a new sphere the same size as its previous body, then slips its essence inside. The Demiurge feels several seconds of utter sensory deprivation once it abandons its astral perception, but sense-experience resumes once a proper connection is established between body and soul. The new form feels slightly different, but handles exactly like the old one did. It only takes AJAMA a few moments to acclimate and lift itself into the air.

Hm, the winged were already invited, they are my children despite their flaws.
But, to be honest, Gral, silken nest is not connected to great web even by single tread.

Suggest the council several things, have council offer its own proposals and have the vote
Spoiler: suggestions to council (click to show/hide)

Nazir's first two proposals pass with the full support of the Council. While some Spiderlings would prefer that the web expand through other means, none actively oppose courting the favor of Hynsyr and the Lightfolk. Caution is warranted, given the reception that Gral was given when it entered the Titan's domain, but a few Spiderlings point out that the Contractor was given a chance to leave the city rather than starting a fight. With luck, Hynsyr will offer their ambassadors the same courtesy.

The Ancestors and Order of Strands both agree that studying the stars would be a logical way to begin researching light magic. They resolve to begin their study as quickly as possible. Since many of their most prominent Aetherweavers are currently participating in the Council, it seems reasonable to assume that experimentation will begin once this meeting adjourns. A few Weavers are so excited by the idea that they start tying equations into knotwork right then and there.

Not everyone is on board with Nazir's plans for desert vegetation and the Bone Fortress. While the Dustwalkers would be eager to terraform the sand, they also feel that this proposal would make them bear a great deal of risk. The tribe's representatives are hesitant to tamper with the Bone Tree, which as of right now is their only home, and fear that other Spiderlings might try to displace them if their fortress were connected directly to the Web. The Ironweavers refuse to connect the Web to the Silken Nest for similar reasons. The others decide that they may have a point, given that they were invaded when they first took control of the star.

Opinions on a demon-banishing Order are neutral. While the assembled delegates do believe that it would be a good idea, Aetherweavers from various clans argue that they are already spread too thin. Unless other projects are abandoned, more Spiderlings will need to be trained in Weaving if the warders are to have any chance of success.

Gather the hemp and potato seeds I made and plant them in the sand next to the moat and see if they grow, the deer men can play in the water or make sand castles or whatever they want.

Dr. Bob: 5
Deer-Men: 5+1

Dr. Bob sweeps up the pile of seeds and brings them outside in a dustpan. He digs a series of small holes just next to the tower's door, along the thin strip of land that separates it from the moat. Then he places one seed in each of the holes, grouping together the ones that have a similar size and shape. Afterwards he sweeps sand back into the holes and stands up to admire his handiwork. The plants should, technically, take several weeks to grow, but it's impossible to tell how the primordial-fueled water cycle will affect them. In any case, Dr. Bob's garden is complete, so he goes back into the Tower and observes his various creations through the glass.

The Deer-Men have decided to hold a sandcastle contest. The rules dictate that they gather into teams of two or three people, then spend ten minutes building castles at the edge of the moat. Winners will be decided by a panel of three judges, based upon size, skill, and hypothetical defensive utility. The automaton tags along behind them, occasionally plowing through a sandcastle that stands in the way of its pathfinding.

When the timer rings, the beach has been covered in dozens of elaborate structures. The entries vary wildly, but each is lovingly-crafted and larger than is strictly necessary. Highlights include a replica of the Dustwalkers' bone fortress, a five-meter high medieval fortress, a glass model of the Great Web, the Eiffel Tower, and a city under siege by fake demons. Being made of sand, they actually look quite lifelike.

The Web-model is disqualified for unauthorized use of glass, but the judges are split more or less evenly between the other castles. One walks into the Tower and invites Dr. Bob to act as a tiebreaker.

Back in the garden, a few sprouts emerge from the soil.

Hynsyr returns to attempting to build the Fortress-Temple for Yig.

Hynsyr leaves the routed demons behind and walks back into the city, where he once again assumes his position in the central plaza. After clearing away the rubble that resulted from his previous attempt to build a fortress, he flares his aura, producing vast quantities of new light. The Titan takes twelve giant handfuls of radiance and pours them out onto the ground, willing them to take the shape of a temple for the Golden Flower. The light coalesces into pure, glowing gold, which looks glorious in the spires' lights. Unfortunately, it's a misshapen mound rather than the building that Hynsyr intended it to be. There's a door, and a small antechamber where Yig could conceivably be placed, but Titan's grand temple-fortress doesn't look like either. If anything, it might resemble a piece of modern art.

Have the Ironweavers, mindful of the Pact-arms scandal, create a new form of Barter: Tribute Tokens, flat metal disks marked with the symbol of the Silken Nest and infused with the power of Bargain.  These forms of currency can be used amongst  groups reluctant to abide by traditional Pacts.
 For the most  dissatisfied Buzzards, a new solution can be put in place:  Have them work out a contract with the Bone Fort as mercenaries, providing for food, nesting space , and  armorers, in exchange for free reign on its enemies.

In order to rectify this new weapon, Gral crafts a set of protective talon coverings out of Ironwoven  metal,  enabling easy handling of the pinions.

Ironweavers: 2
Buzzards: 6
Gral: 3

The Ironweavers mint a large quantity of Tribute Tokens and infuse them Aetherweaving that channels the power of the Bargain. The currency is a novelty, and many of the Spiderlings present at the council use it to trade for small items or favors, but they are slow to adopt it in larger dealings. While tokens are considered far less dangerous than Pact magic, most delegates don't consider it inherently valuable. The steel and magic within the coins are both moderately useful to Weavers who can craft which such things, but are not particularly useful for anyone else.

Every single Buzzard immediately flies towards the Bone Fortress, where they are received with open arms. The sand has been particularly angry recently, despite a drop on Nothingness activity, and the Dustwalkers are happy to pay for a team of highly lethal mercenaries. Relations get off to an awkward start when the Buzzards mention disembowelment in polite conversation, but rapidly improve once they start directing that same savage energy at the sand.

Gral has a few Ironweavers supply it with metal thread, which the Contractor then wraps around the bases of the pinion-blades. It is possible to prevent most accidental injuries by using loops of steel to attach the feathers to it talons more securely, although it is still very important to avoid pointing sharp edges at anything that should remain uncut. One accidental flick of a leg could bisect anything, from a valuable piece of property to a mortal's torso.

Spoiler: Souls (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: World (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 09:33:16 pm by Whisperling »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 35