Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Mortals and Monsters II  (Read 2448 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mortals and Monsters II
« on: February 15, 2019, 06:14:08 am »

Mortals And Monsters

In a time before time, the Blind Titan Mu drifted across the empty void. His abyssal form undulated as he slept. Ancient drums and melancholy horns accompanied the somber breath of the leviathan. For eons Mu drifted through an empty cosmos. As he drifted his power radiated outwards, only to condense into stars and rock. In time, his domain became bright and full. This light disturbed the sleeping titan, stirring him from the eternal depths of his rest. The beast reached out and scooped vast swaths of night, catching rock and debris, and piled it upon himself. It is this blanket of rock and heat that allowed the beast to return to it's endless sleep. Resting at the center of the universe, a world had formed atop the titan, and unbeknownst to the monster, life would take root there...

Titans roamed the land for a time, but eventually, they too came to sleep like their father. However, after a great deal of time, the first of the gods appeared. Yonlu and Eeyn, sisters goddesses of primordial power and far worse temperament. The two set out to sculpt the world along their own design. Yonlu desired a beautiful world full of life and light. Mortals would live and prosper here. Eeyn wanted a world of darkness and strife. Monsters would slay eachother in the dead of night, and all would come to fear it. The two began their work, but soon came to find that their plans could never coexist. They fought. For eons the two clashed tearing at eachother and at the world the other sought to create. Their blows thundered across the heavens and struck the earth. They were perfectly matched, and this was their downfall. Given time, they disturbed the sleeping behemoth, and this was their undoing. The blind abomination struck twice, and the gods souls where shattered into millions of pieces, raining down upon the world as the beast returned once more to its lair. Yet the sister's fight was far from over. From their essence came forth Mortals and Monsters...  In time, civilizations rose and fell, creating a fragmented world of ruins and lost tribes. As the eons rolled past, other deities began to form in the world. Now the world sets down a new path, as mortals, monsters, and gods vie to rule over this strange realm.

Mortals and Monsters is an experimental game, with the purpose of creating a vibrant and interesting world. Players will chose one of the three factions: mortals, monsters, and gods. These three factions interact in the world in hopefully interesting and complex ways, that I think will make for a rather fun game. This is going to play a bit differently than most godgames, having an emphasis on writing and roleplay over mechanics.

Mortals
Mortals begin the game with almost nothing and must learn to tame their surroundings, build fortifications, and research new technology so that they may survive in this harsh and unforgiving world. Mortals will spend their time collecting resources, researching, beseeching the gods, and defending their kingdom against the monsters. Strategy and resource management will be the name of the game for them.
Spoiler: Mortal Start Sheet (click to show/hide)

Monsters
Monsters are quite different than mortals. They do not research new technologies, but instead spend mana to design new monsters. They operate on a mana system, generating a set amount each turn. However, they may bolster this income through destruction, corruption, and murder. By spreading darkness across the world, they grow stronger with each season, and the nights grow longer and longer with each setting sun.
Spoiler: Monster Start Sheet (click to show/hide)

Gods
Gods play a bit differently than the physical players of the world. They are ethereal, watching down from the heavens. They can influence the world in a variety of ways, generating a set amount of mana each turn, which is bolstered by the worship of mortals and through the completion of divine milestones.
Spoiler: God Start Sheet (click to show/hide)

This game will take place almost entirely on discord, which I will link to [Here] when it's ready.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 06:26:30 am by Roboson »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Mortals and Monsters II
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 06:20:37 am »

Reserved.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 06:22:36 am »

Reserve
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

RadtheCad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 07:03:33 am »

Well, here's mine.  It's an ex-aquatic, (mostly) humanoid mortal race with shapeshifting limbs.  They're obsessed with arguing about mathematics, and their current civilisation is based around an ongoing three-way argument about metaphysics, with each side trying to gain knowledge through mathematics and natural philosophy, believing it'll vindicate their own side's theory.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(If anyone can name the authors I've 'taken inspiration' from, they get netpoints.)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 11:05:43 am by RadtheCad »
You have to kill your son or nuke the commonwealth.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 07:20:48 am »

How much RP do you expect per day? I can afford short bursts, but I definitely wouldn't have time for prolonged discussions.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 07:23:24 am »

Civilization Name: Tide
Mortal Race Name: Cicadas
Mortal Race description:

Cicadapeople that form social groups, with a twist. The nymphal cicada are active ambush predators(also proficient diggers), a favoured tactic being to dig large pits and chasing prey animals into them, supplemented by a diet of tree sap. The youngest cicadas, and thus smallest and slowest have to be particularly cunning and reliant on traps, instead of using their physical abilities to simply hunt down prey.

This led to a strange evolutionary quirk, where the first cicada instars have the highest intelligence, with the intelligence slowly deteriorating with each molting, until the most drastic metamorphosis into the imago, gaining wings, switching from being omnivorous to only drinking tree sap, and having only the intelligence of particularly bright animals. The flights of the cicada, and their chorus songs are both extremely beautiful to the younger instars, and a source of horror at their own inevitable regression, with only the wonder of flight and laying the eggs of the next generation as small comforts of adulthood.

Other: Sometimes non-paragons can temporarily enter waking dream states, especially during periods of high stress, particularly during battles. Generally they just gain the skills of their previous lives, rather than any mystical powers. This lesser waking dream state is generally called a "martial trance".

Civilization culture:

Tide Religion:
They believe that after death, cicada are reincarnated anew. They liken life and death to dreaming and waking. Just as a night's sleep may be filled with dreams of powerful drives, passion and wonder, only to slowly fade like mist before the sun once awake, so death is a time of sleep and dreaming, from which cicada awake once they hatch, slowly losing the power of the dream, and their intelligence with it, forgetting it's wonder, until they sleep again. Each nights sleep is seen as a microcosm of this larger cycle of life and death, a temporary return to the dream, yet even more ephemeral than the sleep of death.

A somewhat more complex and subtle expansion of this concept, is the cyclic nesting of dreams within a dream, with your previous life in fact being part of the deathdream for this dreamlife, that is part of the deathdream of the dreamlife after it. As such, along with the dreams themselves, you are forgetting your memories of your past life.

There is another sect which believes that each cicada moulting was part of a slow ascension to a higher plane of existence, with the lowered intelligence being caused due to getting less and less in tune with the base lowly current plane, until finally the adults fly up past the clouds, past the sky and sun and become spirits.

Method of Ruling: A child shall lead them.

Sometimes a particularly large and special type of cicada egg is lain, a Paragon. These Paragons can survive being broken out of their eggs before they hatch naturally, thus entering the waking world while still being in the deathream. This state, known as the "Waking Dream" allows the paragon to access the skill, experience and knowledge of their past lives, as well as the mysterious powers of the dream. Whenever such Paragons are forced to be born, they become the leaders of the tribe. The forceful creation of the first Paragon was is the impetus of the current rise of the Cicada Tide and as such much is still unknown, including how moulting will affect the Waking Dream state, though it seems depressingly likely that it will break the waking dream.

Without a paragon, generally council of children will be chosen from the first instar of the tribe to rule, generally by selecting those that managed to build the best traps in a competition.

General starting biome: A forest with giant trees that have sweet, syrupy sap.

Spoiler: Addendums (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 08:01:15 am by Demonic Spoon »

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 07:42:20 am »

Monster Lord: Ashbloom, Aradian beetle queen.
Monster race description: Aradian beetles are characterised by their iridescent green and blue shells, their un beetle-like hive clusters, and the mind-numbing drone their wings can emmit.
Starting type: Beasts
Starting trait: Multitudinous.

lets try this again.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 07:45:05 am by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 08:03:24 am »

How much RP do you expect per day? I can afford short bursts, but I definitely wouldn't have time for prolonged discussions.

That's more up to the players and how you all come to interact. If you can write detailed posts and do some IC and/or OOC discussion, you'll be fine.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 08:30:38 am »

I'm not sure which I want to go for, so would you opposed to me putting a sheet together for each faction, and then choosing the one that evens out the player count best?

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 08:34:19 am »

I'm not sure which I want to go for, so would you opposed to me putting a sheet together for each faction, and then choosing the one that evens out the player count best?

Yeah that would be fine by me! I am trying to get some sort of balance with the different factions, so if people are open to whichever, that would be fine.

If anyone else would like to put forward sheets for different factions and have me pick to round out the distribution, feel free to do so.

WyrdByrd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2019, 09:19:27 am »

Count me in.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2019, 09:20:41 am »

You know, its been a while. Glad to see this is back. May as well be what I was before since I never really got to play, though some minor changes are in order, just to clear descriptions up a bit better.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2019, 09:21:16 am »

I'll make something for this.
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2019, 10:14:39 am »

PTW
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

RadtheCad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2019, 10:58:48 am »

Civilization Name: Tide
Mortal Race Name: Cicadas

[...]

General starting biome: A forest with giant trees that have sweet, syrupy sap.

I wonder how the biomes are going to work.  Is there going to be a world map?  Will different groups have defined distances from each other?  Or will it be more abstract?
Cool element of biological horror there, by the way, spoon.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 11:09:29 am by RadtheCad »
You have to kill your son or nuke the commonwealth.
Pages: [1] 2 3