Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Things that made you facepalm today  (Read 3669 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you facepalm today
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2018, 06:39:55 am »

Sadly, my countrymen tend to have this elitist pathology that makes them unbearably thick.

It is one of the reasons I very much wish for an end to American Hegemony.  (the UK got over its raging "privilege boner" nearly a century ago. Us in the US? Not so much...)   

That said, I can pretty much fill in all the spaces on a european map, and many/most of the spaces on an african or south american map.   Asia... Post USSR I just gave up. The area that was formerly Yugoslovia just changes borders too damn often to keep up with.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2018, 06:44:13 am »

California, Florida, Texas, Alaska and Hawaii don't count. Now name and place five.
Love, scriver~

TrickleJest

• Bay Watcher
  • I write things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2018, 06:51:07 am »

Sadly, my countrymen tend to have this elitist pathology that makes them unbearably thick.

It is one of the reasons I very much wish for an end to American Hegemony.  (the UK got over its raging "privilege boner" nearly a century ago. Us in the US? Not so much...)   

That said, I can pretty much fill in all the spaces on a european map, and many/most of the spaces on an african or south american map.   Asia... Post USSR I just gave up. The area that was formerly Yugoslovia just changes borders too damn often to keep up with.
Funnily enough, I reside in a post-USSR country, although it isn't exactly close to any Southern Slavic countries. It's funny how you'd think people would care more to actually learn at the very least the names of every country considering that we as a human race only inhabit one planet and other countries are basically the only places around us that we can actually visit, and this extends to myself as well (I certainly couldn't name every country). It doesn't really make as much sense when I type it out this way, but if we view it from the eyes of someone who sees countries as an abstract concept they'd expect every human to know where each area is located. Maybe this is just incoherent babbling.

California, Florida, Texas, Alaska and Hawaii don't count. Now name and place five.
Just northward from Florida (which for arbitrary reasons we will exclude) you have Alabama on the west and Georgia on the east, Mississippi on the west of Alabama, South Calorina to the east of Georgia, North Carolina north-ward from South Carolina.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2018, 07:22:48 am »

I was gonna post this in the WTF thread but I guess it could fit in here too.
...Except I didn't facepalm, because then I woulda got blood all over my face. Basically, I sliced open my finger at work today whilst trying to open the flavour sachets for some instant noodles without the aid of scissors because I couldn't find any. Whoooops. Much bleeding was had. I blame overtiredness.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2018, 07:28:24 am »

Just northward from Florida (which for arbitrary reasons we will exclude)

It's because these are hyper-recognisable states that nearly everyone will be able to place. It's the equivalent of not being able to place Italy, Russia, or UK for Europe. The rest of the states are more on the level of not knowing Switzerland, Czechia, or Lithuania.

I'd also put New York there but I don't think that many people actually know what the state of New York looks like. It's kind of a weird state honestly.

South Calorina

Hah! On basis of this unfortunate typo I declare failure by technicality!
Love, scriver~

TrickleJest

• Bay Watcher
  • I write things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2018, 07:40:09 am »

I was gonna post this in the WTF thread but I guess it could fit in here too.
...Except I didn't facepalm, because then I woulda got blood all over my face. Basically, I sliced open my finger at work today whilst trying to open the flavour sachets for some instant noodles without the aid of scissors because I couldn't find any. Whoooops. Much bleeding was had. I blame overtiredness.   
Sometimes, one has to suffer for noodles. It's just the price you have to pay.

South Calorina

Hah! On basis of this unfortunate typo I declare failure by technicality!

Hm...? I'm... not sure what you mean? Here, I even have a legitimate list of states to prove it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2018, 07:57:35 am »

Carolina != Calorina

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2018, 08:00:56 am »

I want to live in a world where "south calorina" is a slang for "big butt"

Also there was a better typo to make with Pennsylvania

TrickleJest

• Bay Watcher
  • I write things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2018, 12:53:15 pm »

Carolina != Calorina
I understand that, I was just making a joke based off the typo I made.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2018, 03:12:28 pm »

I want to live in a world where "south calorina" is a slang for "big butt"

Also there was a better typo to make with Pennsylvania
Pensiveania?

*attempts to make Calorina happen as a thing*
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2018, 03:35:19 pm »

(the UK got over its raging "privilege boner" nearly a century ago. Us in the US? Not so much...)   

Have you heard of Brexit? Or Margret Thatcher? Or...

TrickleJest

• Bay Watcher
  • I write things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2018, 04:55:41 pm »

Glorious Brexit. I think that's a good contender for one of the top facepalms of this thread.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2018, 05:28:32 pm »

Carolina != Calorina
I understand that, I was just making a joke based off the typo I made.

Don't worry trickle I appreciated it ;)
Love, scriver~

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2018, 06:48:19 pm »

(the UK got over its raging "privilege boner" nearly a century ago. Us in the US? Not so much...)   

Have you heard of Brexit? Or Margret Thatcher? Or...

Or the recent inquiry by the UN. The UN is preparing to give a report in Geneva to the UN human rights council next year.

On that note comes the realization that I have now successfully derailed a thread made specifically so that I would stop derailing another, similar thread.

*facepalm*
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 07:05:02 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2018, 12:59:04 pm »

I've accidentally closed my Steam, and the phone was grabbed by my mother, who went outside. Fucking hell, Steam, I simply wanted to sell my frigging cards.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.
Pages: 1 [2] 3