Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: The Long Night (Legacy Thread)  (Read 130938 times)

potatussalad

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: The Long Night 1.99
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2020, 06:00:36 pm »

Hey There!

I'm new to this forum, but I've been playing DF for awhile. I though I might check out this mod, as it seems super awesome! The thing is, I play on Linux. To install the mod, I followed the instructions you gave to another user, downloading a fresh version of the game (v47.02), running it to make sure it worked, then replacing the raw folder, as well as the "colors", "worldgen", and "interface coppyy" txt files in the init folder. The reason I did not replace the entire data folder was because of the index file, which stops the game from starting when replaced.

The game starts fine, but when creating a world using "Epilogue Med." the game crashes after ~2-3 years of history, or sometimes after placing all of the civs. It gives no error file, otherwise I would post that. Any help is appreciated in advance!

P.S. I love the color palette choice!

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2020, 06:29:33 pm »

Hey There!

I'm new to this forum, but I've been playing DF for awhile. I though I might check out this mod, as it seems super awesome! The thing is, I play on Linux. To install the mod, I followed the instructions you gave to another user, downloading a fresh version of the game (v47.02), running it to make sure it worked, then replacing the raw folder, as well as the "colors", "worldgen", and "interface coppyy" txt files in the init folder. The reason I did not replace the entire data folder was because of the index file, which stops the game from starting when replaced.

The game starts fine, but when creating a world using "Epilogue Med." the game crashes after ~2-3 years of history, or sometimes after placing all of the civs. It gives no error file, otherwise I would post that. Any help is appreciated in advance!

Ah, well you see, the problem is that I have not updated my mod to the most current version of the game yet. This is because there is currently a lot of bugs with the new version and I want to wait until they are all fixed before I update and work on the new version of the mod, though I really want to get started on it! But if I update now, all that will happen is people will be stuck with a broken version of the mod that will be replaced every week, which is just no fun. So for now the plan is to stick with version 44.12 until Toady is done bugfixing, and update the mod then. I recommend downloading version 44.12 and trying that.

But yes just to make things clear, I do absolutely intend on updating the mod to DF's current version, I just want to wait until it is cleaned up first.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

potatussalad

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2020, 06:58:19 pm »

Hey There!

Ah, well you see, the problem is that I have not updated my mod to the most current version of the game yet. This is because there is currently a lot of bugs with the new version and I want to wait until they are all fixed before I update and work on the new version of the mod, though I really want to get started on it! But if I update now, all that will happen is people will be stuck with a broken version of the mod that will be replaced every week, which is just no fun. So for now the plan is to stick with version 44.12 until Toady is done bugfixing, and update the mod then. I recommend downloading version 44.12 and trying that.

But yes just to make things clear, I do absolutely intend on updating the mod to DF's current version, I just want to wait until it is cleaned up first.

Ah, my apologies for being a bit slow!

I had wondered if this may be the issue, I had previously installed "44.12" from a Linux app store, but upon further inspection, it was just a copy 47.02 that hadn't had the version name updated. After figuring out how to install the libraries required for the version of DF downloaded from Bay12 to work, I was able to run it that way. And, the mod works! Thanks for being quick to responding & helping out!

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2020, 10:11:23 pm »

Hey There!

Ah, my apologies for being a bit slow!

I had wondered if this may be the issue, I had previously installed "44.12" from a Linux app store, but upon further inspection, it was just a copy 47.02 that hadn't had the version name updated. After figuring out how to install the libraries required for the version of DF downloaded from Bay12 to work, I was able to run it that way. And, the mod works! Thanks for being quick to responding & helping out!

No problem, glad to have helped.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2020, 05:52:16 am »

Just posting here to keep an eye on the development of this mod.
But I also wanted to say that I for one, would love seeing a tileset other than ASCII.
Creatures doesn't matter, but the vanilla DF ASCII background does tend to strain my eyes a bit.

Bones Johnson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2020, 07:54:32 am »

Just posting here to keep an eye on the development of this mod.
But I also wanted to say that I for one, would love seeing a tileset other than ASCII.
Creatures doesn't matter, but the vanilla DF ASCII background does tend to strain my eyes a bit.

I've been using the kruggsmash tileset, and that's been working fine. It is essentially a more off the bat readable version of ASCII. Your settlers are represented by letters though, so some races can be a bit hard to distinguish from your animals if they're the same or similar letters, but it's worked well for me so far.
There's a skeleton in all of us, waiting to burst out.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2020, 09:14:21 am »

I've been using the kruggsmash tileset, and that's been working fine. It is essentially a more off the bat readable version of ASCII. Your settlers are represented by letters though, so some races can be a bit hard to distinguish from your animals if they're the same or similar letters, but it's worked well for me so far.
Thanks! I'm going to take a look at that. (I love his vids by the way.)

Azriel82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2020, 10:27:39 pm »

Kruggsmash was using a custom tileset he made specifically for The Long Night, it was tweaked from his usual tileset. It's avaiable off his twitter feed for The Long Dark episode.

Azriel82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2020, 10:50:33 pm »

How does one go about changing nanotechne grade-C from block form to bar form? I have no bars but I have some nanotechne blocks from slaughtering machine creatures but I can't seem to convert them into bars. I have assigned them to be smelted but they just sit there, right  next to the smelter. It's a magma smelter. There is seemingly no option in the smelter to smelt nanotechne. I have also tried putting an order through in the manager, but it looks like the only option to make nanotechne requires coal? The post about making nanotechne just says to 'feed' metal bars to the nanotechne, what does this mean?

Azriel82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2020, 10:06:57 am »

So, I figured how to get nanotechne melted down, but now I have another problem. When making the grade-C nanotechne I am having difficulty keeping the process from using up the nanotechne instead of other metals. I have to keep a constant eye on it and have yet found a way to automate the process. The problem is when the metalsmiths are done making the nanotechne they leave the bars in the smelter. When they go to make more they use the closest bars, which are the nanotechne already in the smelter, eating up the nanotechne instead of making more. I been trying to set up give/take stockpiles but it hasn't worked out very well so far and has been very slow going. The main issue is the the reagents are the same as the product, the game doesn't seem to make a distinction between nanotechne and other metals, so it ends up using 3 bars to make 2. Is there a way around this? Can I somehow designate the smelters to use only one bare of nanotechne? Or just a way to set up the stockpiles to make the process automated?

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2020, 04:21:39 pm »

How does one go about changing nanotechne grade-C from block form to bar form? I have no bars but I have some nanotechne blocks from slaughtering machine creatures but I can't seem to convert them into bars. I have assigned them to be smelted but they just sit there, right  next to the smelter. It's a magma smelter. There is seemingly no option in the smelter to smelt nanotechne. I have also tried putting an order through in the manager, but it looks like the only option to make nanotechne requires coal? The post about making nanotechne just says to 'feed' metal bars to the nanotechne, what does this mean?

Blocks are finished items, You have to use MELT Just designate them for melting, and set one of your smelters to melt objects on repeat.
It might take more then one block to get a bar, so dont panic if you see a block vanish and nothing happens.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Azriel82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2020, 08:04:53 pm »

Yeah, got that going, I had it set up right it just took my human colonists a while to get around to doing it. Turns out being lazy is literally a part of their culture, lol.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 12:26:51 am by Azriel82 »

Azriel82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2020, 08:14:28 pm »

I have some questions about factory worms. I have one that makes latex, which apparently the worm will spit out in web form? I've had it for 4 or 5 months and it hasn't done anything yet except wander around. I have it a room underground which has a mud floor and mushrooms growing all in it. I assume because it's a machine it doesn't need to eat, but maybe it needs to graze to make the latex? Maybe it needs sunlight? Or maybe it just takes a long time? I set up a farmer's workshop nearby and put in an order to 'shear animal' just in case that would work, but nada.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2020, 12:26:16 am »

I have some questions about factory worms. I have one that makes latex, which apparently the worm will spit out in web form? I've had it for 4 or 5 months and it hasn't done anything yet except wander around. I have it a room underground which has a mud floor and mushrooms growing all in it. I assume because it's a machine it doesn't need to eat, but maybe it needs to graze to make the latex? Maybe it needs sunlight? Or maybe it just takes a long time? I set up a farmer's workshop nearby and put in an order to 'shear animal' just in case that would work, but nada.

I'll look into it. I just assumed it'd spit web but maybe I messed that up.

Azriel82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2020, 12:32:13 am »

I'll look into it. I just assumed it'd spit web but maybe I messed that up.

Thanks! I'll keep an eye on the worm. It's been the beter part of a year and so far nothing. :(
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25