Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Introducing: The Dwarven Sanitarium!  (Read 3730 times)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
Re: Introducing: The Dwarven Sanitarium!
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2018, 07:37:50 am »

I personally find mining engraving and tree cutting to be the best way of curing dwarfs, the simplest way being mining. The good thought from tree cutting usually gets negated by rain.

Is mining really that reliable? Do they not care about the lack of quality and masterworks, they're happy to just be satisfied at workx50?
In my experience it is. At least they're the only dwarfs who don't go insane after 20 years in a fort and have negative stress even though they pass by dwarven corpses (mining accidents) every time they work.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2018, 09:27:18 am »

My miners usually are fine, but in my latest fortress one of them got rather stressed due to lack of family and friends. It turned out the two miners were lovers at that point, and pushing them the last bit into marriage solved the stress issue.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2018, 04:33:08 pm »

Inspired by a comment elsewhere I have resorted to shock therapy in hopes of having a beneficial personality reversal from trauma: I'm now assigning them to corpse hauling, hunting or web gathering so they'd have as much exposure to personality altering events as possible. They can't go farther than 100 000 stress, so why not?

A quantum corpse and refuse stockpile in a small tavern room might do the trick. Everyone socializes and makes friend over a pile of rotting corpses. They either go insane or become so immune to horror its no longer an issue. The insane dwarves are expelled from the fortress. Get new migrants, treat them to the same tavern of doom and keep those who pass the test.

One thing I've noticed is that dwarven children like to play around corpses. This can be unfortunate if the corpse pile is at the edge of a map and another siege spawns there, but the constant exposure to corpses means they don't care about anything anymore long before they reach maturity. So it does work. You just need to keep them from breaking long enough to get over it.
Reminds me of this.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 05:40:46 pm by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2018, 05:40:03 pm »

One thing I've noticed is that dwarven children like to play around corpses. This can be unfortunate if the corpse pile is at the edge of a map and another siege spawns there, but the constant exposure to corpses means they don't care about anything anymore long before they reach maturity. So it does work. You just need to keep them from breaking long enough to get over it.
Careful. That sounds dangerously like Dwarven Child Care. We don't want to wake that beast up again.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2018, 09:14:14 am »

Maybe the magic update will make danger rooms safe again.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 [2]