Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to fire a chicken?  (Read 1286 times)

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to fire a chicken?
« on: August 31, 2018, 09:38:45 am »

Title says it all, how to launch a chicken in a controlled, targeted manner? How to make the chicken deal non-trivial damage?
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

RWARO_GNARL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to fire a chicken?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 09:42:25 am »

I thought you wanted to make !!Chicken!! from the title though.

As for your question, I believe I saw something about launching creature in cage using minecart, cage, ramp, and fortification in the masspitting section of the wiki.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 11:15:25 am »

I do that (but with captives, none of which have been chicken so far) to separate them from their cages and deliver them into my execution device. It doesn't work particularly well for targeting purposes, I think, as some stuff gets caught in the fortification.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 09:16:32 pm »

I thought you wanted to exile a chicken to the hillocks.

Chickens can also be launched by bridges, although that may be unpredictable and will crush the chicken if you are not careful.

You can drop the chicken down a long pit onto somebody's head, probably killing them. If the chicken does not kill, try killing the chicken first. Corpses and creatures may deal falling damage differently. I know that it's not flying, but it is falling with style. Chicken style.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Mort Stroodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 12:34:57 am »

mod a deadly dust forgotten beast to also spawn chickens inside of it every tick

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 10:01:56 am »

Use a minecart shotgun with chickens in cages. That's really the only way to get creatures up to the maximum velocity horizontally.

Chickens are a bit on the light side for projectiles, but will work. Once you get a chicken shotgun working, it will work just as well with yaks.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 11:35:10 am »

I use the design with minecart, though with two modifications: grate instead of a fortification (because it can be mechanised and opened to clear stuck items) and a series of pulse ramps instead of a downhill ride. The minecart, cages, ramps, grate are on lower level, the content are designed to be released on the upper level through a hole in the ceiling.

But this isn't the most reliable method - when multiple cages are loaded&fired at the same time, some of them do throw their content so violently it is killed on impact, some content are just stunned after release, some are released on lower level, and some are not even released at all.