Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spilling plants  (Read 1140 times)

Senator Jim Death

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Spilling plants
« on: August 28, 2018, 08:57:10 pm »

What causes dwarves to spill plants from barrels (maybe bags)? Not uncommonly, I'll find sitting all over my map either big one-tile piles or a multi-tile trails of mixed plants (usually just gatherable plants). Now, it's not like I'm losing hundreds of plants, but it's irritating to think that those plants are sitting there either rotting or generating useless hauling jobs. Is the bag or barrel being destroyed or reassigned mid-job, or being lost? Is this some bug that everyone knows about? Herbalists all have hauling jobs of all relevant kinds enabled, so that's not it. Trails tend to be near food stockpiles and piles tend to be outdoors.

I do tend to make multiple large plant-gathering zones, so I have a lot of plants kicking around. I hate the idea of leaving that fruit just sitting around rotting. Does that have anything to do with it? I don't think I've ever seen dwarves unintentionally spill items of any other kinds.
If it's not trying to be fun, it's not trying to be a video game.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Spilling plants
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 09:03:18 pm »

Dwarfs will drop items related to a job when startled by wildlife. Plant gatherers will carry many plants at once (as will haulers who are filling a food barrel). Are you seeing any "... interrupted by..." announcements?
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 09:04:23 pm »

They're not plants taken out from barrels or bags, they're plants not yet stored inside them. Herbalists don't always haul back their produce(don't recall cause off the top of my head but it also occurs with map wall off to top of the sky), make sure you have decently sized empty stockpile area to collect these - if you just have a few tiles, some of them are going to wither.

Senator Jim Death

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 09:15:24 pm »

Dwarfs will drop items related to a job when startled by wildlife. Plant gatherers will carry many plants at once (as will haulers who are filling a food barrel). Are you seeing any "... interrupted by..." announcements?

That could explain the outdoor multi-stack pile(s), if the herbalist was holding a bunch of different stacks. But I don't remember seeing interruption announcements. If those can be turned off, I might have them off.

Also, that doesn't explain when I see a trail of single stacks of plants coming from a food stockpile inside my fort.

They're not plants taken out from barrels or bags, they're plants not yet stored inside them. Herbalists don't always haul back their produce(don't recall cause off the top of my head but it also occurs with map wall off to top of the sky), make sure you have decently sized empty stockpile area to collect these - if you just have a few tiles, some of them are going to wither.

That would make sense to me if I was seeing many individual piles of single stacks of plants. Right now, though, I have one tile with a page and half of variously-sized stacks of different plants. If herbalists were dropping after finishing a job, wouldn't they just drop the plant right where they finished gathering it? Or is one herbalist gathering plants on many different tiles, holding all the results, and then dropping all the stacks when they switch away from the gather-plants job?

I guess fundamentally I don't know how herbalists gather. I have some plants designated for gathering with d->p, and I have some plant-gathering zones with shrubs enabled. I don't know how many stacks of plants a dwarf can hold, and I don't know how they go about actually gathering the plants. It would be interesting to understand how exactly this works.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 09:18:13 pm by Senator Jim Death »
If it's not trying to be fun, it's not trying to be a video game.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 09:51:18 pm »

Dwarves can also be interrupted by need for drink or food. If you designate lot at once, this is more likely. I dare speculate whether they finish up might depend on personality when those needs are in the buffer zone.

I've certainly seen them doing both the plant lines and stack of plants both when watching them, so...It's not definitely herbalists - could be a series of food thieves you killed who were killed at those exact squares and didn't tell us about - but it seems likely.

They can also haul the entire loot back into a single tile of food stockpile and have that rest there as qsp, which is nice if you like qsps.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 02:43:31 am »

My herbalists seem to pick fruit from trees and leave it as piles for others to haul while they take the step ladder to the next tree to clear that one out of fruit.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 03:08:47 pm »

When gathering plants normally (without stepladders), I've always seen them carry the plants around with them to each bush, ending up with possibly dozens of stacks of plants.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!