Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14

Author Topic: Add to the creatures thoughts about sex and be able to customize their values  (Read 25990 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile

Playing to "win", however player defines the "win", is no guarantee to have fun but it is the default guideline most players - even veteran DF players - follow. Loss (in those goals) can be immensely entertaining, but vast majority of entries in Hall of Legends are about winning by some measure of another - even for cases where the story ended in death and tragedy.

I think GoblinCookie is getting at the inherent ugliness in de facto position being supporting oppressive governments in such worlds. Which doesn't necessarily conflict with choosing dead or dying dwarven civs, as that's about showing a fort strong enough alone to stand against the world.

However, procgen discrimination is bit of a tangent here, kinda like arch stresses when discussing supports every 7 tiles. There's been fair few ideas on possible mechanics here, I think they could be collected to new OP (maybe along with reformation-spread based data)? Would be easier for Toady One to grasp. For me too, as I'm kind of nebulous on the mechanics of player fighting the prejudice, tbh.
Sure, but many players play to do awesome/amusing things, not caring if they die afterwards.

What are you talking about? It's just a game. There is no "ugliness".

@Detoxicated:
GC seems to be one of those "no fun guys" who want everyone to play games the way he wants.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

Those awesome/amusing things? They are playing to "win". Especially the case for awesome. Whether it be hunting for adamantine longsword in adventure mode, building a magma cannon in fort mode or finding the dwarf with highest military kills in legends mode - those three are still deliberate, planned progression towards a goal a player likes. I can give exceptions, like FourierSeries' I'm.No.Lady., but they're exceptions. Regardless, this is meaningless on its own...

Games can tell stories, DF especially, and my shelves stock more than comedies. There can be ugliness, anger, sadness, love, lust, humor, peace and everything else on emotional spectrum in a game just as there can be in a book or movie.
But I was more thinking of it leaving the game; the creepier examples of elf genocide meme, especially where players start to attack others over not hating elves enough.

PS: Please stop with the snipes. Those are bad idea all around.

@Detoxicated:
Okay, so a player controls fort. If prejudice is not at the level where there's no visitors one can fight it with, they might try to lock people together, flush with water if it fails and let them out if it succeeds. Before talking about how effective it is or isn't, how might a player use their expedition leader to promote an idea or value, though? What might the inferface for it look like? Etc. implementation details.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Those awesome/amusing things? They are playing to "win". Especially the case for awesome. Whether it be hunting for adamantine longsword in adventure mode, building a magma cannon in fort mode or finding the dwarf with highest military kills in legends mode - those three are still deliberate, planned progression towards a goal a player likes. I can give exceptions, like FourierSeries' I'm.No.Lady., but they're exceptions. Regardless, this is meaningless on its own...

Games can tell stories, DF especially, and my shelves stock more than comedies. There can be ugliness, anger, sadness, love, lust, humor, peace and everything else on emotional spectrum in a game just as there can be in a book or movie.
But I was more thinking of it leaving the game; the creepier examples of elf genocide meme, especially where players start to attack others over not hating elves enough.

PS: Please stop with the snipes. Those are bad idea all around.

@Detoxicated:
Okay, so a player controls fort. If prejudice is not at the level where there's no visitors one can fight it with, they might try to lock people together, flush with water if it fails and let them out if it succeeds. Before talking about how effective it is or isn't, how might a player use their expedition leader to promote an idea or value, though? What might the inferface for it look like? Etc. implementation details.
But GC defines winning as advancing your character, not as having fun. Can we fight each other on the same battlefield?

Oh, and I'm fine with elf genocide. Especially when it's thorough.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 04:06:44 am by KittyTac »

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile

@FF
For one I could see artwork and books to slowly change values especially good art. Discussions too. Of course there should be a character traits influencing the impact of this (art friends being struck more while art haters not being affected at all)
Also there should be nobles like inquisitors fulfilling that purpose. Now an interface what you would like to see promoted could be interesting as long as it gave some repercussions for promoting an entity-alien value.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Discussions and books can already change values, in fact.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't quite get what your point is. If you do not want an oppressive system and you want to just do whatever, just don't generate a world with oppressive systems. There should be a setting for this.

Oh, and what is wrong with conformity? Conformity does not automatically equal boredom. Hell, if you are playing solely to 'win', you do not care about fun.

As I said, everything in the game still takes work even *if* it can be removed by world gen/ini settings and subtracts from other features in the game that are of more general demand; basically adding all things for all people is not very efficient game design. 

The problem is partly that of exposition.  The game does not have clearly designated starting roles, but in effect all politically significant roles (the roles the player is likely to find fun) in an oppressive society are in effect oppressor roles; excepting the role of activist.  The a-symmetry by which the optimal strategy in order to do anything *other* than be an activist troublemaker is to cooperate with the system and end up having to fight against the activists even if the player actually agrees with their values.

It is like I the player have kitted up my character in order to kill the great dragon that terrorises the area.  In order to do this I have to acquire the magical amulet of fire resistance.  Except that the magical amulet of fire resistance happens to be in the hands of a bunch of bigoted racist slavers.  Now the only way to get them to entrust you with the amulet is to earn their favour and the only thing they really care about is that you the great hero hunt down all their fugitive slaves. 

So now the traditional epic dragon-slaying hero has been turned into slave hunter for an oppressive society.  The funny thing here is that there is no requirement that the society you are becoming an oppressor *for* is even your own starting society, you could have started off playing as a citizen of some utopia but the situation above can still apply.  Traditional narratives (books, films, most computer games) avoid this by never having the situation come up without a viable third option but dwarf fortress is far more realistic than they are. 

As a result of your role of slave hunter the rebellious slaves end up attacking your would-be epic dragon hunter character.  Your character ends up defending themselves and in the process they tip the balance so that the slavers end up winning when otherwise they would fall.  Entirely incidentally in the process of the player, likely acting against their own political views has bequeathed several centuries more oppression onto the world simply because they were engaging in "Chinese Google Censorship"

I'm counting on not having everybody play the exact same way. Some people will play as an activist, some will not. I guess I just don't understand what your problem is with this dynamic. Maybe you can explain?

Also I feel I need to add: GamersTM will sometimes purposely take the more difficult path.

The problem is that there are now only two roles, activist OR oppressor.  The activist is very much choosing the difficult path in that you are purposely sacrificing the ability to gain status and resources in a bid to change society for what he considers better.  All *other* roles in society suffer as a result, meaning that the optimal path to take if you are primarily pursuing some role aside from activist is to become the oppressor. 

The problem is that while the activist role is quite blatant and visible, the oppressor role is hidden behind an a-political veneer; people end up becoming oppressors as per my above story to KittyTac, not because their aim is to prop up oppressive systems but because that was what served the ends of the career they have chosen. 

Also, the inofficial motto of this game is "Losing is Fun".

I think, however, that gc is triggered by the title of this thread already, and I too must wonder, because in its subtone it implies that somebody wants to specifically add homophobia as such into the game, but I could be wrong, where we should rather discuss about discriminatory systems within the game. That is, how do they start, how can societies fight them, how can a player fight it...
If you are a slave gladiator fighting for your freedom and your mere fight does not cause a public reaction GC is right about his point, there is no real societal reward for his plight for freedom other than the individual advancement. If that gladiator however won the fight, and already unhappy slaves and peasants saw this a sign to take up arms and actually start a fight for good then the harder path would become immensely rewarding in the long run.

Why not add homophobia into the game if we are fine with oppressive systems?  Why discriminate in favour of homosexuals but against women, poor people or foreign races?

Yes, losing is the problem.  History does not advance because everyone wins, it advances because everyone loses.  In effect for the individual's activism to pay off, the people in charge must make a mistake or be otherwise committed to foolish and contradictory principles that prevent effective response.  This is what makes oppressive society a problem in fortress mode as well, the player's interest is to win and if he represents an oppressive society then he will figure out how to make oppression work smoothly because that is what the rules he is playing by demands. 

The situation created by your gladiator is simply a problem.  It is a problem that will be solved by any competent authority, only if the authority is incompetent then they will fail to solve it and the individual action will hence matter.  The aim of the player in fortress mode however is to be the omnicompetant government that will figure out how to deal with all problematic gladiators and indeed will write a whole page on wiki telling all the other players how best to do it.

Also I do not like your views about having no power as an individual. It is wrong. An individual can shape society in great ways. Either by being a politician, or artists, or a great warrior. Sure he will need the help of others, and external circumstances to form a situation where his actions become meaningful for a greater group, but there has been many points in history where the individual shaped the forms of society, though historians might disagree with me on that one due to their historical aproach to things.

The thing is GC, while I agree with many things you say, you have a way of portraying your beliefs that feels autocratic. It feels as if you cannot tolerate that other people want to play the game in a way you don't like and this is one reason in my opinion, why you keep on angering people, causing rash reactions, with your posts. Now, I migth be wrong on this and it could only be my view on the things, and if it is so I apologize in advance.
Other people here, tend to be quite provocative towards GC however, so I suppose part of his style of posting is due to reacting to direct or indirect insults caused by some....

A while back we did not have these types of problems on this forum, I hope it can go back to that state...

It is not wrong.  Every role you gave as an example is tantamount to this, they are all scarce roles that society grants to an individual and the individual has no power to claim for himself against society.  You want to change the laws to change the society, well now you have to be a ruler, but nobody is going to make you ruler if they suspect that you are going to change the society.  If by some trick of fortune you do become ruler despite what society thinks, the society will simply have you deposed, whether they keep you in power as figurehead or not.

I am quite an example of this.  If it were possible I would be your individual that changes society, the intolerance I get from other people on the forum is simply society responding to silence me.  I write stuff on forum posts that disrupt the tidy little crypto-ideological consensus about what things are allowed to be said, or what is known as the Overton Window.  I am always "derailing the thread" because there is an unspoken agreement that some things are not really about certain other things when in fact they are. 

Am I autocratic because I do not accept a fundamental assumption that is false?  The game does not allow the player to do as they please without consequence, this is a fact of game design that is not going to change.  Since the game does not allow players to do as they please without consequence or even to do certain things at all, why are we required to facilitate players playing in a way we don't like? 

As I said before, everything that is added into the game is something else that is not added into the game.  Even optional mechanics have a cost to everyone else. 

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't quite get what your point is. If you do not want an oppressive system and you want to just do whatever, just don't generate a world with oppressive systems. There should be a setting for this.

Oh, and what is wrong with conformity? Conformity does not automatically equal boredom. Hell, if you are playing solely to 'win', you do not care about fun.

As I said, everything in the game still takes work even *if* it can be removed by world gen/ini settings and subtracts from other features in the game that are of more general demand; basically adding all things for all people is not very efficient game design. 

The problem is partly that of exposition.  The game does not have clearly designated starting roles, but in effect all politically significant roles (the roles the player is likely to find fun) in an oppressive society are in effect oppressor roles; excepting the role of activist.  The a-symmetry by which the optimal strategy in order to do anything *other* than be an activist troublemaker is to cooperate with the system and end up having to fight against the activists even if the player actually agrees with their values.

It is like I the player have kitted up my character in order to kill the great dragon that terrorises the area.  In order to do this I have to acquire the magical amulet of fire resistance.  Except that the magical amulet of fire resistance happens to be in the hands of a bunch of bigoted racist slavers.  Now the only way to get them to entrust you with the amulet is to earn their favour and the only thing they really care about is that you the great hero hunt down all their fugitive slaves. 

So now the traditional epic dragon-slaying hero has been turned into slave hunter for an oppressive society.  The funny thing here is that there is no requirement that the society you are becoming an oppressor *for* is even your own starting society, you could have started off playing as a citizen of some utopia but the situation above can still apply.  Traditional narratives (books, films, most computer games) avoid this by never having the situation come up without a viable third option but dwarf fortress is far more realistic than they are. 

As a result of your role of slave hunter the rebellious slaves end up attacking your would-be epic dragon hunter character.  Your character ends up defending themselves and in the process they tip the balance so that the slavers end up winning when otherwise they would fall.  Entirely incidentally in the process of the player, likely acting against their own political views has bequeathed several centuries more oppression onto the world simply because they were engaging in "Chinese Google Censorship"
And? We have lots of time, which is a point you have been steadily ignoring. Toady rarely goes the easy way.

What is wrong with that? If you do not want to be an oppressor, don't generate a world with oppressive systems.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile

Discussions and books can already change values, in fact.
In-game, yes, but apparently not on the forums.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

For it to be effective in-game, one would need the ability to commission books on values. I think one might be able to do that by popping over for a bit in adventure mode?

Doing that doesn't fit in the thread of ruler endorsement discussed above (plus, by default, there would be more books on average values).

It occurs to me that such vulnerable underclass would be a target for some villain plots. Sure, higher-end is better, but it's easier to get someone to work for you when they're hungry and out of food and barter.

@KittyTac, GoblinCookie hasn't been just ignoring the amount of time there is, they've been disagreeing with it being "lots". Several times, now.

And I agree. Honestly, I find "we're still mortal" exceedingly gentle, when there's just 1 game I occasionally still look at that I was playing at the time .23a came out. And even if I was immortal ten-year veteran of DF with no hiatuses, there would be still just 24 hours in a day.

That you find this rebuttal insufficient doesn't mean it has been ignored.

@GoblinCookie: The dragonslaying scenario you posited implies another suggestion: Some kind of safekeeping system that prevents a player who would be willing to spend time chasing down slaves from just choking or pickpocketing them from behind.

(Though I wouldn't be surprised if it had been suggested before.)

Having a figurehead is another one (there's been talk of deposing before, but I think that might be new).

Both excellent ideas, but kinda beyond the scope of scale of dwarf occassionally having a thought of feeling awkward.
Well, ultimately, dystopian player fort is perhaps the best example of supported oppressive system - the dwarves unhappy with the system are exiled or disposed of, while those producing goods the noble (player) mandates get better care.

And yeah, I've seen "derail/scope" used to de facto ban topics in the past, and dislike it. However, I won't expect anyone to make a researched suggestion they don't think is a good idea to include - but neither can the supporters of procgen discrimination edit the mechanics ideas into OP here.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 03:08:19 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Rataldo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The problem is that there are now only two roles, activist OR oppressor.  The activist is very much choosing the difficult path in that you are purposely sacrificing the ability to gain status and resources in a bid to change society for what he considers better.  All *other* roles in society suffer as a result, meaning that the optimal path to take if you are primarily pursuing some role aside from activist is to become the oppressor. 

The problem is that while the activist role is quite blatant and visible, the oppressor role is hidden behind an a-political veneer; people end up becoming oppressors as per my above story to KittyTac, not because their aim is to prop up oppressive systems but because that was what served the ends of the career they have chosen. 

You have 2 statements here that say "The problem is X", followed by a description of what would happen. You don't say why what would happen is a problem. Hopefully that makes some sense and you can explain why these things are problems because I still don't see it.

I have to add that I reject this narrative that suggests that, because DF is more realistic, it is somehow MORE linear than traditional games. True, complying with the status quo is ONE way to solve that problem, but what's stopping me from stealing the amulet? Or hiring someone to steal the amulet? Or finding someone who can make amulets? Or coming up with something equally as valuable to trade?

I am quite an example of this.  If it were possible I would be your individual that changes society, the intolerance I get from other people on the forum is simply society responding to silence me.  I write stuff on forum posts that disrupt the tidy little crypto-ideological consensus about what things are allowed to be said, or what is known as the Overton Window.  I am always "derailing the thread" because there is an unspoken agreement that some things are not really about certain other things when in fact they are. 

Am I autocratic because I do not accept a fundamental assumption that is false?  The game does not allow the player to do as they please without consequence, this is a fact of game design that is not going to change.  Since the game does not allow players to do as they please without consequence or even to do certain things at all, why are we required to facilitate players playing in a way we don't like? 

As I said before, everything that is added into the game is something else that is not added into the game.  Even optional mechanics have a cost to everyone else.

From what I've seen, most people on this forum have the attitude of "let's make each idea on here as good as it can possibly be", but also acknowledge "not all ideas will make it into the game". Personally I think this is the best way to go about using this forum. Let the best version of each idea compete against the best version of every other idea. I'm not suggesting that we should not criticize ideas or that you should be required to try to prop up every idea that gets pushed through here. Instead I'd suggest the "yeah but this idea would push out another one" argument only works when both ideas you're considering have already become the best they can be.

Your first post on this thread simply said "Even if it is not hardcoded, Toady One still has to code it in." which is essentially this argument. I believe it is this attitude, and not your personal beliefs, that is causing most of the friction with other people on this forum.

These are just my observations/opinions/theories. I'm not going to dictate to you how you should use this forum, nor will I attack you personally for it. Most people in this thread seem to be on board with this idea. You seem to have reservations. I'm trying to figure out what those are so this idea could be made better.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Fleeting:
I don't quite get what the point of your response to me is. Do you agree with GC or me?

Yes, we are still mortal. But DF has been meant by Toady to have a 30-year development cycle. If that's not a lot of time, I don't know what is.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 03:10:06 am by KittyTac »

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And? We have lots of time, which is a point you have been steadily ignoring. Toady rarely goes the easy way.

What is wrong with that? If you do not want to be an oppressor, don't generate a world with oppressive systems.

It takes a very long time for Toady One to add in pretty much anything into the game, a point you used to be very aware of when you talked about "in 4 years time" a lot.  The fact that it impacts on all other roles, adds extra work to be done, because the devs have to figure out how to make an activist version of all existing roles so that we can still continue to function and advance as something other than a pure activist and still not be siding with the oppressor. 

@GoblinCookie: The dragonslaying scenario you posited implies another suggestion: Some kind of safekeeping system that prevents a player who would be willing to spend time chasing down slaves from just choking or pickpocketing them from behind.

(Though I wouldn't be surprised if it had been suggested before.)

Having a figurehead is another one (there's been talk of deposing before, but I think that might be new).

Both excellent ideas, but kinda beyond the scope of scale of dwarf occassionally having a thought of feeling awkward.
Well, ultimately, dystopian player fort is perhaps the best example of supported oppressive system - the dwarves unhappy with the system are exiled or disposed of, while those producing goods the noble (player) mandates get better care.

And yeah, I've seen "derail/scope" used to de facto ban topics in the past, and dislike it. However, I won't expect anyone to make a researched suggestion they don't think is a good idea to include - but neither can the supporters of procgen discrimination edit the mechanics ideas into OP here.

Why would the player choke the slaves or pickpocket them when they want to bring them back to their masters alive so they get rewarded and they don't likely have anything on them worth stealing?  It is more about restraint mechanics than it is about that kind of stuff, but I would gage that such things would be part of the law and order arc anyway. 

Figureheads are interesting mechanically.  Basically these will occur when there is a strong personality cult surrounding a particular leader or the leadership is hereditary and not supposed to be alterable by the decision of lesser mortals.  There is little point in figure-heading a non-hereditary leader that people are indifferent about, you just remove those from office and install a leader more to your liking. 

The way it works is different depending upon how centralized a government is.  In a highly centralized government what matters is the cabinet, the controllers influence the members of the cabinet so that should the ruler try to do anything the controllers dislike the cabinet will outright ignore the leader.  Once you have control the cabinet, you have in effect control over the administration which is pretty much all-powerful in a centralized system and control of the administration can be used to control the policy of the leader, since any policies not to your liking passed by the leader by decree will simply not be implemented.  The danger here is that leader will simply dismiss the entire cabinet, create a new one from your enemies and then purge the administration; in that case you are now forced to actually remove the leader from office, your hope is that the leader will understand this and not do that. 

In a decentralised system what matters is control of the subordinate governments.  The idea is to use the central government to cancel out the ability of the local governments to act against the controllers will but simultaneously use the local governments to cancel out the ability of the central government to do likewise.  Your best friend in this regard is the law, since the law dictates what everyone can do but at the same time in a decentralised government neither the central government OR the individual local government can actually change the law unilaterally.  The thing here is to habituate all governments to their lack of power in relationship to an all-powerful law that represents your interests, relying upon the divisions to keep them from ever being able to unite to change that law.  Not able to defy the law they cannot change, any challenge is unable to be realized in practice in the immediate term, which forces all enemies to betray their supporters or outright rebel so you can crush them individually; in either case you win.  The danger in this case is that the central government leader will rally enough of the local governments behind him to overturn the laws upon which your system rests. 

You have 2 statements here that say "The problem is X", followed by a description of what would happen. You don't say why what would happen is a problem. Hopefully that makes some sense and you can explain why these things are problems because I still don't see it.

I thought it was obvious.  The problem is that you, as a player aim to succeed, you aim to win and in order to win you learn certain rules, stratagems as it were as to do so.  Everything you want to get, everything that counts as succeeding is actually dependent upon the society either giving it to you or allowing you to get it.  If you want to be a great leader, a great warrior, a great anything really, you need the rest of society to cooperate or at least turn a blind eye.

Following these rules does not require you to be aware of their consequences.  In many cases your contribution is indirect, you don't directly understand the consequences of behaving that way because the effect is 'off-screen'.

I have to add that I reject this narrative that suggests that, because DF is more realistic, it is somehow MORE linear than traditional games. True, complying with the status quo is ONE way to solve that problem, but what's stopping me from stealing the amulet? Or hiring someone to steal the amulet? Or finding someone who can make amulets? Or coming up with something equally as valuable to trade?

It is the morality that is linear in a realistic situation, there are multiple ways to do the wrong thing. 

They thought about you stealing the amulet, so they aren't going to let you do that easily and to do so would make a murderer+thief anyway; the other options you lay down are commercial.  You could hunt down 10 slaves yourself in order to be given the amulet directly, or you could give them enough wealth to hire enough other slave-hunters to hunt down 100 slaves; while it appears that buying the amulet is the moral option, you were actually doing less harm hunting the slaves yourself. 

Now the slave hunter example was a particularly explicit example.  Instead of doing the easy thing and hunting down the slaves yourself (the obvious wrong option) you went out of the way to produce enough wealth that you can buy up the amulet.  In reality however, you actually did far more harm by giving that wealth to the slavers in return for the amulet, taking the apparently good route than you would ever have done had you done the obviously bad thing.  You were not using your cleverness to get around the requirement to hunt slaves for the slavers, the slavers were cleverly using your own ethical conscience to get you to unknowingly do more wrong than you would otherwise have done. 

The only ethical thing is to accept you are never going to be a dragonslayer and go home.  Actually doing the right thing in an oppressive society however, goes against the entire logic of a computer game which is to slay the dragon and win.  This is why we have to be careful with depicting oppressive systems in computer games in a way that we do not have to be in films or books; the game teaches a different set of lessons. 

From what I've seen, most people on this forum have the attitude of "let's make each idea on here as good as it can possibly be", but also acknowledge "not all ideas will make it into the game". Personally I think this is the best way to go about using this forum. Let the best version of each idea compete against the best version of every other idea. I'm not suggesting that we should not criticize ideas or that you should be required to try to prop up every idea that gets pushed through here. Instead I'd suggest the "yeah but this idea would push out another one" argument only works when both ideas you're considering have already become the best they can be.

Your first post on this thread simply said "Even if it is not hardcoded, Toady One still has to code it in." which is essentially this argument. I believe it is this attitude, and not your personal beliefs, that is causing most of the friction with other people on this forum.

These are just my observations/opinions/theories. I'm not going to dictate to you how you should use this forum, nor will I attack you personally for it. Most people in this thread seem to be on board with this idea. You seem to have reservations. I'm trying to figure out what those are so this idea could be made better.

My attitude is just the facts of the matter. 

The other thing is that the better this idea is implemented, the more work it will take to code and if implemented poorly we are better off without it. 

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It takes a very long time for Toady One to add in pretty much anything into the game, a point you used to be very aware of when you talked about "in 4 years time" a lot.  The fact that it impacts on all other roles, adds extra work to be done, because the devs have to figure out how to make an activist version of all existing roles so that we can still continue to function and advance as something other than a pure activist and still not be siding with the oppressor. 
I think it will be worth it, at least post-v1.0. I guess you don't.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 08:12:58 am by KittyTac »

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile

The fact that it impacts on all other roles, adds extra work to be done, because the devs have to figure out how to make an activist version of all existing roles so that we can still continue to function and advance as something other than a pure activist and still not be siding with the oppressor. 

Everything takes work, even the features you want added, such as multi-tile creatures, which i think wont be worth the effort.

Also, what do you mean by "activist" version? How would that differ from performing a role normally?

I thought it was obvious.  The problem is that you, as a player aim to succeed, you aim to win and in order to win you learn certain rules, stratagems as it were as to do so.  Everything you want to get, everything that counts as succeeding is actually dependent upon the society either giving it to you or allowing you to get it.  If you want to be a great leader, a great warrior, a great anything really, you need the rest of society to cooperate or at least turn a blind eye.

The only 'winning' in Dwarf Fortress is enjoying the game. You only lose if you no longer enjoy playing. Your fort getting destroyed is not losing, neither is getting your adventurer killed. Nor would be anything that would be possible with these systems(which again, do not solely consist of civ wide oppression). If you don't want to play as a part of or work with an oppressive society then... Don't! (i will be really impressed if someone manages to generate a whole world consisting of nothing but oppressive shitholes.)

And let those who do want to play with these systems, because that's winning in this game: Playing however you want and getting enjoyment out of it. I for one am going to enjoy getting my adventurer enslaved, or raiding villages and dragging back slaves to my civ, in collar and leash or buying slaves(' freedom) or killing the slavers or just not giving a crap, because i might be playing a character with other motives. An extreme example but it highlights a tiny part what will be possible in the game, that can be improved by a system of discrimination, prejudice and oppression.

It is the morality that is linear in a realistic situation, there are multiple ways to do the wrong thing.

They thought about you stealing the amulet, so they aren't going to let you do that easily and to do so would make a murderer+thief anyway; the other options you lay down are commercial.  You could hunt down 10 slaves yourself in order to be given the amulet directly, or you could give them enough wealth to hire enough other slave-hunters to hunt down 100 slaves; while it appears that buying the amulet is the moral option, you were actually doing less harm hunting the slaves yourself.

Sometimes there is no right way. Think about it this way: That same dragon, if you don't kill it, will by itself kill hundreds, maybe even thousands, both guilty and innocent. Maybe if your moral sensibilities do not let you go slave-hunting in exchange for the artifact, someone else with more balls than you will. In essence, you've still not improved the world in any way by wiping your hands clean and claiming superiority.

This is to me what stories are about: conflict, struggle, hard choices and their consequences. that's what i enjoy. And if you wanna prance around la-la teletubby land where nothing happens, that's your choice.

(Or you could just steal the fucking amulet...)

Now the slave hunter example was a particularly explicit example.  Instead of doing the easy thing and hunting down the slaves yourself (the obvious wrong option) you went out of the way to produce enough wealth that you can buy up the amulet.  In reality however, you actually did far more harm by giving that wealth to the slavers in return for the amulet, taking the apparently good route than you would ever have done had you done the obviously bad thing.  You were not using your cleverness to get around the requirement to hunt slaves for the slavers, the slavers were cleverly using your own ethical conscience to get you to unknowingly do more wrong than you would otherwise have done. 

unintended consequences, quite a shocking twist huh? But i suppose the question in this case is, does the player care? Does the character played by the player care? After all, their hands are clean and they can claim moral superiority, if they're the sort. Also, this is something we must discuss: The adventurer played by the player is not the player themselves nor are they the player's avatar. They can be, but most people not only are capable of a little roleplay but actually like roleplaying their characters. Most people can empathize with a character with (even radically) differing viewpoints from their own. You can too, right?

The only ethical thing is to accept you are never going to be a dragonslayer and go home.  Actually doing the right thing in an oppressive society however, goes against the entire logic of a computer game which is to slay the dragon and win.

What if my character's goal in life is to become dragonlunch? What if i want to play as a dragon?

Dwarf Fortress does not operate on conventional "computer game" logic. lol
This is why we have to be careful with depicting oppressive systems in computer games in a way that we do not have to be in films or books; the game teaches a different set of lessons.

Mentally sane people can separate fiction from reality and do not take "lessons" from entertainment.

My attitude is just the facts of the matter. 

No. opinions.

The other thing is that the better this idea is implemented, the more work it will take to code and if implemented poorly we are better off without it. 

I would argue the opposite instead, the best implementations of ideas are frequently deceptively simple and not overcomplicated.

we'll also be far better off without multi-tile creatures if they're poorly implemented.
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

You can already take over sites with your own group in adv mode, so the "activist role" is already included in the game and has been since 2014.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14