Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14

Author Topic: Add to the creatures thoughts about sex and be able to customize their values  (Read 26048 times)

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
Re: Add to the creatures thoughts about sex and be able to customize their values
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2018, 05:20:37 am »

What drives the demand for in-game bigotry when there are so many other things that need doing?  Is it all Agent Smith of the Matrix, "the perfect human world was a disaster, human beings would not accept the program," as in people inherantly require a degree of dystopia because otherwise they refuse to properly immerse themselves with the setting?
As I see it, the desire for in-game bigotry stems from two very important things: Human nature (at least, as exemplified throughout history), and Fun.

Human Nature: Good vs. Evil, good vs. bad, and right vs. wrong are fun to debate, but they are all artificial constructs of an already-sentient mind. At its very most basic, pre-cognizant level, behavior is determined by two root impulses: Cooperation vs. Competition. Almost literally all multicellular organisms engage in both of these practices, to at least some extent, whether they know it or not, and whether we view a creature as being "good" or "bad" is largely a function of its innate tendency to either cooperate, or compete, with others--and most especially with us. Humans tout their own understanding of such enlightened concepts as Good and Evil, but let's not pretend that Cooperation and Competition aren't lurking just beneath the surface. They drive business, they drive the stock market, they drive politics, they drive culture, they drive war. The point is this: Every person, just as every other creature, has their own desired "level" of Cooperation vs. Competition, what they consider to be a happy medium of Us vs. Them. People who feel that the local sphere has been too competitive lately will try to make it swing back to Cooperation, and vice versa. People who feel beset by conflict will seek to create (or find) peace--and people who cannot benefit from that peace will try to sow strife. That's essentially where Agent Smith comes in, virtually all of humanity cannot be comfortable living in 100% Cooperation Teletubby Land. They will always seek to find or create an Other, someone fittingly challenging against whom to strive. As for whether this Other is a foreign power or a domestic element--history has shown that to be of little consequence, other than developing different names for the types of struggle.

Fun: Not that many people want to play Dwarf Fortress where they embark in 100% Cooperation Teletubby Land. Sure, that's fine when you're just starting out & learning the ropes, but after you've weathered your first few migrant waves and figured out how to make soap, you want to see if your fort can FIGHT something. And that's just Fortress Mode: Adventurers don't just want to randomly adventure, they want to tell a Cool Story. How best to tell a Cool Story, other than defeating a Big Bad? And how can you have a Big Bad in a world that lacks Evil--real, moral, and ideally premeditated Evil? Sure, that's not an argument that there must be bigotry . . . but you can't deny that bigotry would certainly be interesting. And let's not pretend that a game that calculates the exact trajectory of a baby's severed head is set in the nicest of all possible worlds.
I agree with pretty much all of this post, but this part in particular:
...virtually all of humanity cannot be comfortable living in 100% Cooperation Teletubby Land. They will always seek to find or create an Other, someone fittingly challenging against whom to strive. As for whether this Other is a foreign power or a domestic element--history has shown that to be of little consequence, other than developing different names for the types of struggle.

==
I agree with Strik3r on pretty much all of his/her points.
Just as i agree with a lot of what you've said even though I'm not fond of the grudge you and GC have going on.
I wouldn't care if it didn't run the risk of getting threads locked by Toady himself.
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Add to the creatures thoughts about sex and be able to customize their values
« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2018, 09:35:24 am »

Unfortunately, GC is one of those people who only lose if their post is not the last one when the thread is inevitably locked.
Unfortunately, it looks like he's not the only one.
I don't have that syndrome.

not sure i'm convinced of that
Can we not do that? Blatant and completely irrelevant ad hominems are against the rules.

First, that was not an ad hominem, because it was not meant to say anything about the point  you were making.

Second, you may want to reread the quote which started this pyramid. Maybe if you want to keep the "no ad hominems" rule on the up and up, it's best not to apply it unevenly.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2018, 09:45:55 am »

Either way, this is completely irrelevant to the thread. Just let us finish this argument. If you do not want to participate, don't post here. It's simple as that.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 09:50:51 am by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2018, 11:49:47 am »

Someone should start a betting ring on who gets banned first....

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2018, 06:44:13 pm »

Someone should start a betting ring on who gets banned first....
What are the odds on simultaneous ban?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2018, 08:28:52 pm »

This is relatively civil compared to my previous arguments with GC. And he started it.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2018, 06:46:07 am »

As I see it, the desire for in-game bigotry stems from two very important things: Human nature (at least, as exemplified throughout history), and Fun.

Human Nature: Good vs. Evil, good vs. bad, and right vs. wrong are fun to debate, but they are all artificial constructs of an already-sentient mind. At its very most basic, pre-cognizant level, behavior is determined by two root impulses: Cooperation vs. Competition. Almost literally all multicellular organisms engage in both of these practices, to at least some extent, whether they know it or not, and whether we view a creature as being "good" or "bad" is largely a function of its innate tendency to either cooperate, or compete, with others--and most especially with us. Humans tout their own understanding of such enlightened concepts as Good and Evil, but let's not pretend that Cooperation and Competition aren't lurking just beneath the surface. They drive business, they drive the stock market, they drive politics, they drive culture, they drive war. The point is this: Every person, just as every other creature, has their own desired "level" of Cooperation vs. Competition, what they consider to be a happy medium of Us vs. Them. People who feel that the local sphere has been too competitive lately will try to make it swing back to Cooperation, and vice versa. People who feel beset by conflict will seek to create (or find) peace--and people who cannot benefit from that peace will try to sow strife. That's essentially where Agent Smith comes in, virtually all of humanity cannot be comfortable living in 100% Cooperation Teletubby Land. They will always seek to find or create an Other, someone fittingly challenging against whom to strive. As for whether this Other is a foreign power or a domestic element--history has shown that to be of little consequence, other than developing different names for the types of struggle.

Fun: Not that many people want to play Dwarf Fortress where they embark in 100% Cooperation Teletubby Land. Sure, that's fine when you're just starting out & learning the ropes, but after you've weathered your first few migrant waves and figured out how to make soap, you want to see if your fort can FIGHT something. And that's just Fortress Mode: Adventurers don't just want to randomly adventure, they want to tell a Cool Story. How best to tell a Cool Story, other than defeating a Big Bad? And how can you have a Big Bad in a world that lacks Evil--real, moral, and ideally premeditated Evil? Sure, that's not an argument that there must be bigotry . . . but you can't deny that bigotry would certainly be interesting. And let's not pretend that a game that calculates the exact trajectory of a baby's severed head is set in the nicest of all possible worlds.

I know that part, the question was why?  You are just saying what KittyTac was saying in more words, which is fine but the question is not really being answered. 

Yeah, that'd just make the world feel more alive, wouldn't it? Seeing what prejudices and discrimination, whether real or perceived have arisen during worldgen(or due to your actions). then trying to figure out what's the cause of said discrimination. Then if you so desire, you can go ahead and try to change people's minds or even fuel that prejudice, if you want to. It is a veritable treasure trove of untapped potential for exciting stories.

No it would not, a world with prejudice is just as alive as one without it.  The thing is those things are not realistically speaking within the scope of an individual or even a local government to change.  Heck these things are pretty much beyond the power of civilization-level governments to quickly overcome in Real-Life. 

I would see that as a good thing... Choices and consequences for your (in)actions. It's something that the game desperately needs IMO.

They consequences in this case mean there are no real choices.  It is like, if you choose the red pill we will beat you to a pulp but if you choose the blue pill you get a promotion.  They player is likely there to 'win', they aren't there to 'lose' by paying the price for doing things that in 50-100 years time *might* eventually bear fruit.

So are discrimination, oppression and prejudice, for any good story at least

They don't really make good stories, they make interesting worldbuilding but they make bad stories because they are beyond the scope of any one character to substantially change.  Change makes for stories, bigotry does not *easily* make for good stories because bigotry is not very easy to change quickly or easily. 

i dunno, seems like pretty thinly veiled attempt at name calling to me. Mixed in with a little strawmanning to boot.

It's just a potential motive behind why a person might not want to live in 100% cooperation Tellytubby land, it could be it makes them feel guilty; I never named anyone in particular as an example, because that would require me to know their innermost thoughts and would be insulting.  To have everything just as bad or worse than reality seems comforting in a way because it means that you are not forced to face up to any better world full of people behaving better than you are. 

The desire for a good story? Unconventional gameplay and mechanics?

It would be far more unconventional for Dwarf Fortress *not* to have those things than the reverse.  Those things are ubiquitous in fiction.

Because it makes the world feel more alive, more realistic? "Also" "bigotry"(BTW, i hate this fucking word) isn't the only topic of this thread but a whole host of related and tangential concepts.

They all behave similarly so for the sake of argument I compounded them together.  I could take about sexism in particular, or racism or whatever else but I may as well talk about them as one word since none of them exist (except maybe slavery, in a very minor sense) at the moment in the game and all of them raise the same issues.

Touching on what I said above, there is a difference between a computer game and a film or book.  The reason is the game part, the player typically aims to win rather than lose and the player's actions are typically calculated to this end.  In a book or film however, the reader-viewer is powerless to influence the course of events, this lends itself well to safely exploring such themes because their passivity distances them from the events and puts the victim on a par with the observer, the victim does not have a choice but to suffer and the observer cannot alter the plotline with their actions because they perform no actions. 

A computer game with a bigoted setting, if it is at all realistic rewards the player for being a bigot like everyone else and punishes them for being otherwise.  Even if the player for some reason were to choose to play as a person on the wrong end of the bigotry, they will still end up being punished more for challenging the system than they would otherwise, that is generally how slavery functions. 

If we present the gamer with the binary of the boot stomping on the human face, the gamer's instinct when faced with this is to figure out how to be the boot.  With passive media the viewer can empathise with the victim, the gamer on the other hand sees the boot as the winner and the face as the loser, getting to work figuring out how he can become the winner and it with the winner that he therefore empathises. 

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2018, 06:54:08 am »

Did you ignore my argument? I would find it enjoyable to play in a bigoted world.

And (at least) I would find it also enjoyable to change the world for better or for worse, even if it takes many years. And I would find those stories interesting. I'm pretty sure that at least half of the DF fandom would.

Oh, and: I would not want to actually live in an oppressive world. Looks like you misunderstood my argument.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 06:55:45 am by KittyTac »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2018, 08:21:48 pm »

I’d just like to point out that making suboptimal choices for role playing reasons is a pretty major thing is Dwarf Fortress, and is key to helping players keep the game interesting
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2018, 08:27:23 pm »

I’d just like to point out that making suboptimal choices for role playing reasons is a pretty major thing is Dwarf Fortress, and is key to helping players keep the game interesting
Also this. Not every DF player is a minmaxer.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2018, 10:06:38 pm »

I know that part, the question was why?
Wait--are you seriously asking me to explain why human nature is the way that it is? Or why certain things are considered to be fun? You might as well ask "Why are trees?" or some similar existential chewing gum.

But instead, I'll operate on the belief that what you meant to ask was more like: "Why would making DF reflect this aspect of historic human behavior, and adding this precise variety of fun, be an improvement on the game?"
     Well, if dwarves (and the other sentient races) behaved more like real humans, that would make them seem more real to the player, thus improving the sense of immersion, as well as the added layer of cultural detail increasing the game's overall flavor. If their prejudices are determined randomly and differ from one game to the next, the player is encouraged to consider that real-life bigotries make about as much sense as the procedurally-generated ones. And as previously mentioned, bigoted societies give a free source of "bad guys" against whom Adventurers can push back . . . although the other side of that coin is that Fortress players might be forced to tolerate their own intolerant civ for a few years. Thankfully, if prejudice is applied via a worldgen setting, the negative effects of this can largely be avoided.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2018, 10:12:09 pm »

Or stress relief if you're in a bad mood. Or just, you know, !!FUN!!. Not all players want to play as the good guys.

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2018, 02:55:06 am »

I know that part, the question was why?
Wait--are you seriously asking me to explain why human nature is the way that it is? Or why certain things are considered to be fun? You might as well ask "Why are trees?" or some similar existential chewing gum.

But instead, I'll operate on the belief that what you meant to ask was more like: "Why would making DF reflect this aspect of historic human behavior, and adding this precise variety of fun, be an improvement on the game?"
     Well, if dwarves (and the other sentient races) behaved more like real humans, that would make them seem more real to the player, thus improving the sense of immersion, as well as the added layer of cultural detail increasing the game's overall flavor. If their prejudices are determined randomly and differ from one game to the next, the player is encouraged to consider that real-life bigotries make about as much sense as the procedurally-generated ones. And as previously mentioned, bigoted societies give a free source of "bad guys" against whom Adventurers can push back . . . although the other side of that coin is that Fortress players might be forced to tolerate their own intolerant civ for a few years. Thankfully, if prejudice is applied via a worldgen setting, the negative effects of this can largely be avoided.

I have some issues with this post, this part in particular:
If their prejudices are determined randomly and differ from one game to the next, the player is encouraged to consider that real-life bigotries make about as much sense as the procedurally-generated ones.

I would argue that prejudice, discrimination are not random and while the cause can be frivilous superstitions or other irrational reasons, they can also be very real and well founded fears and apprehensions regarding certain behaviours or traits. Either way, prejudices, discrimination do not come about from nothing, there is a reason behind everything, regardless of what that reason is.
Therefore, i these things should be a result of worldgen events, and develop and accordingly deepen or dissolve over time.

Cause and Effect, Choices and Consequences. Two sides of the same coin, really. Maybe even the same thing, depending on one's perspective.
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2018, 12:00:35 pm »

If we present the gamer with the binary of the boot stomping on the human face, the gamer's instinct when faced with this is to figure out how to be the boot.  With passive media the viewer can empathise with the victim, the gamer on the other hand sees the boot as the winner and the face as the loser, getting to work figuring out how he can become the winner and it with the winner that he therefore empathises.
[Citation Needed] ::)

I think most gamers would prefer to stab the boot. I mean, you're basically saying most players prefer the easiest difficulty mode.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 12:04:11 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2018, 12:12:38 pm »

yeah i'm going to say that just based on the amount of people who automatically side with the stormcloaks in skyrim because your first impression of them in the opening cutscene is that they're being oppressed by the big empire despite the fact that the game makes it pretty clear that they're a violent racist uprising who are just playing into the genocidal elven supremacist faction's hands, i'd go out on a limb and say that even gamers like to go for the underdog
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14