Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Am I shamed  (Read 3251 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Am I shamed
« on: August 15, 2018, 06:27:45 pm »

I know how a pump stack works. I've achieved pump stackhood before.

I don't want to build a 65-tall pump stack.

Am I going to hell if I decide to just fill a reservoir with water via liquids.

Please help.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Am I shamed
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 09:48:12 pm »

It's ok if you use minecarts.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 10:34:36 pm »

Am I going to hell if I decide to just fill a reservoir with water via liquids.

Not unless you also dig too deep.

But I feel your pain.  I don't think I've ever built more than about a 10 z-level stack before getting tired of it and giving up.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 07:11:58 am »

Consult your personality facets, specifically Pride, Singlemindedness, and Perfectionist. You may achieve an epiphany of self-reflection and change your personality.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 09:10:47 am »

Consult your personality facets, specifically Pride, Singlemindedness, and Perfectionist. You may achieve an epiphany of self-reflection and change your personality.
that is an option?! Why did noone ever tell me all those years?!
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 10:27:15 am »

Yes recently personality can change now
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 12:49:44 pm »

For decisions such as this, for me it depends on the purpose of cistern.

- Throwaway where the difficulty is meaningless, as my only goal is to obtain information then quit without saving - all that doesn't contaminate data is ok.

- Flooding hell to have it obsidian-cast before a dwarf places a single foot inside it - this is a proper dwarfy activity, and it is dwarfier if you don't cheapen the challenge.

After all, while going to hell is a good thing strawberries are more delicious when they're a reward.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 03:34:23 am »

It's ok ! (It's not like you used createitem several hundred times to make some Rutile because you liked the purple color for your library)

You should be ashamed of yourself ! >:(

But I know the feelings.
I always hated pump stack. They require sooo long to build, and there is always that one mechanics who builds a pump at a z-layer not wanted, screwing up your building designations :'(
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 05:37:39 am »

Mine carts, as mentioned, or the old fashioned bucket brigade should do it. In the latter case you may need a holding cistern for the hauled water if your cistern's bottom area is large, to counter evaporation (only letting the water out of the holding cistern is full, which should be enough to cover the floor of the real cistern. For an even bigger cistern you may need two levels of holding cisterns). Once you've got up to 2/7 everywhere evaporation stops being an issue.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 12:27:17 pm »

Well it's just to provide water to the fort.

It's a routine process for me, so I don't consider it a dorf project.

We already have water via a well connected to a large murky pool that will last basically forever. So I guess it's a superfluous project.

Anyway I started filling it via minecart and then cheated. I don't know what to think.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 12:32:53 pm »

We already have water via a well connected to a large murky pool that will last basically forever. So I guess it's a superfluous project.

Anyway I started filling it via minecart and then cheated. I don't know what to think.

DISHONOR! Dishonor on you, dishonor on your Cow♀, dishonor on your whole family!
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 12:39:29 pm »

DISHONOR! Dishonor on you, dishonor on your Cow♀, dishonor on your whole family!

Ok last night I watched Mulan last night because Netflix ordered me to, so I just busted a gut at Cow♀

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2018, 07:34:06 pm »

that is an option?! Why did noone ever tell me all those years?!
Yes recently personality can change now

Does that mean internet arguments finally got buffed? Can we convert somebody who is wrong on the internet?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 07:36:37 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2018, 07:54:58 pm »

Unfortunately we're still waiting for the patch for that. Right now it just adds stress and grudges

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2018, 01:16:33 am »

I once built a magma pumpstack to get magma to the upper levels to keep my fortress smaller. It wasn't worth it.
Pages: [1] 2