Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Today I learned  (Read 2682 times)

Tilmar13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Today I learned
« on: August 15, 2018, 12:34:46 pm »

I always find myself learning something new when playing DF. Sometimes it's geology, sometimes it's zoology, and sometimes it's simply game mechanics.

TIL that invaders can tantrum.
What did you learn today?
Klinka Na Karaz : Grung A Na Grungron : Az A Na Ankor
A Pick for the Earth : A Hammer for the Anvil : An Axe for everything else

Anandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Today I learned
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 02:19:57 am »

Today i learned i can channel multiple floors without having to do each floor... just had to designate and drop down x number of floors...

BadCompany141

• Bay Watcher
  • [POWER] Legendary Blowgunner, Legendary Knapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 04:45:27 am »

today i learned that the ocean will occasionally collapse itself into sink holes, therefor eventually draining itself while producing slowdown

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 04:34:54 am »

Invaders can make campfires, just like adventurers do.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Mort Stroodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 08:04:12 am »

Today i learned i can channel multiple floors without having to do each floor... just had to designate and drop down x number of floors...

Today you learned how to kill all of your miners with cave ins.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 11:28:07 am »

Today you learned how to kill all of your miners with cave ins.
Yea. It's a trap.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 12:19:47 pm »

Last time I tried that might have been 40d. It may have improved since then, but back in '08/'10ish this was a very good way to have Fun in the "Losing is fun" sense of the term.

They were not smart enough to do the layers in order, so they had a tendency to channel down to the bottom layer, do the entire thing, and then randomly layers above in just the perfect order to cause cave-ins that killed legendary armorsmiths. Now I am very very careful to not designate a a tile to be channelled until a) all tiles that need channeling above it are done, and b) the dopey little dorks won't accidentally destroy their only path back out of the hole by doing shit in the wrong order.

I do not recommend doing mining across z-levels without the same very precise planning.

However, stairs across z-levels work great.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 12:21:24 pm »

Today I learned that they're not smart enough to avoid walking across frozen ponds, or climb out once the pond has unfrozen, so it is wise to designate those places restricted with d-o.

Thanks to save-scumming technically nobody even died.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 01:35:58 pm »

I dig multi-z's using the Priority settings, so the top layer is Priority 1, the one below is Priority 2, etc. I also choose to designate them as Ramps rather than Channels, since this leads to fewer dwarfs standing on top. Haven't seen a casualty this way yet, but it still is a possibility if one layer is not quite done because one guy is very slow and the other is very fast.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 12:18:37 pm »

Today I learned that they're not smart enough to avoid walking across frozen ponds, or climb out once the pond has unfrozen, so it is wise to designate those places restricted with d-o.

Thanks to save-scumming technically nobody even died.
If you have DFHack, this can be automated with restrict-liquids or restrict-ice (depending on whether your water is frozen or not when you use the command).
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Anandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 03:30:09 am »

I made a reservoir that was about 3x3 and it did the job fine... did each layer till it reached the bottom i did a swparate 1 tile channel for.the well ro connect, ans it went 5 layers down so no dirty water ans the exit to reserbior is a forbidden and locked door... which i was planning on putting a wall infront of...

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 10:36:59 pm »

I made a reservoir that was about 3x3 and it did the job fine... did each layer till it reached the bottom i did a swparate 1 tile channel for.the well ro connect, ans it went 5 layers down so no dirty water ans the exit to reserbior is a forbidden and locked door... which i was planning on putting a wall infront of...
3X3 would be hard for them to screw up. To cave in the square has to be totally disconnected to the others, so the side squares can;t really fdo that, but the middle square can. You could get lucky and not lose anybody. But you could also get unlucky and lose half the fort.

If you're trying to channel a 6-z-level, five-square-wide, moat, around your entire fort, that's a really god way to kill your dudes. If you're trying to level the entire mountain for a mega-construction that's an even better way to kill your dudes.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2018, 03:10:37 pm »

How is this thread different from the Trivial Findings? Is this one meant for things that people already know, but you didn't, whereas Trivial Findings is for interesting things that were previously universally unknown? Or should the two threads be merged?

(by merged I just mean put up a post that links to TF and then lock this one)
Sigtext!

Tilmar13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2018, 03:20:31 pm »

How is this thread different from the Trivial Findings? Is this one meant for things that people already know, but you didn't, whereas Trivial Findings is for interesting things that were previously universally unknown? Or should the two threads be merged?

(by merged I just mean put up a post that links to TF and then lock this one)

My reasoning is that Trivial Findings is a thread for interesting things that you've found in the game, while this thread is for things learned either about the game or through the game.
Klinka Na Karaz : Grung A Na Grungron : Az A Na Ankor
A Pick for the Earth : A Hammer for the Anvil : An Axe for everything else
Pages: [1] 2