Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Doomsday Dawn IC Thread  (Read 1910 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Doomsday Dawn IC Thread
« on: August 14, 2018, 03:01:53 pm »

Doomsday Dawn, Chapter One

Keleri Deverin, an aristocrat and scholar living in Magnimar, has a problem. Just
a week ago, she received an invitation from her cousin Kendra, mayor of the
nearby town of Sandpoint, to attend that town’s upcoming Swallowtail Festival.
With the festival’s focus on the consecration of Sandpoint’s new cathedral, Keleri
hoped to bring a family heirloom, the Star of Desna, to receive a blessing, but as
she prepared for her trip, an unexpected complication arose.

When Keleri entered the old vault beneath the family estate to retrieve the
star from storage, she found the chamber in total disarray. Chests lay smashed
about the room, shelves were knocked over, and worst of all, the steel lockbox
containing the Star of Desna was missing. The source of the robbery was made
evident by a gaping hole in the center of the floor, leading down into the sewers,
and sewage stains in the shape of goblin footprints leading out of it.

Enraged, Keleri lashed out at the now-empty shelves and ruined containers,
only to find that she was not alone. A quiet whimpering came from behind a
partially collapsed armoire. Investigating, she found a lone goblin, wounded
and wretched. Keleri demanded answers about her stolen heirlooms, but the
goblin only began howling in greater terror and begged for mercy. Keleri’s rage
subsided, and she asked the goblin what had frightened her so.

The goblin introduced herself as Talga and explained that her tribe, the
Mudchewer tribe, had been enslaved by a brutish hobgoblin named Drakus the
Taker, who was forcing members of her tribe to dig into vaults and basements all
around town to rob longshanks of loot and treasure. Those who refused were
taken away, only to have their blood-drained bodies put on display as a warning
to the other goblins. Immediately after the robbery on the Deverin basement,
Talga and a few other desperate goblins rebelled, but they were cut down and
slaughtered. Only Talga survived by retreating up to the Deverin vault and hiding.
Now with no home and nearly paralyzed with fear over the fate of her fellow
goblins under Drakus’s increasingly violent rule, Talga became desperate. She
begged Keleri to send adventurers to her old lair, a complex called the Ashen
Ossuary that was accessible via the Magnimar sewers. She promised to sketch a
map of the lair and to lead Keleri and anyone who might help to the entrance,
and vowed that in return she would work to spread the word among other goblin
tribes in the sewers that longshanks are friendly.

While Keleri was sympathetic to the tale, she is a scholar, not an adventurer.
However, she does have contacts, and knows of at least a few eager new nominees
for the task. Ever the forward thinker, she hopes that by calling upon allies,
she can not only recover her stolen heirloom, but perhaps even start a new
diplomatic alliance between Magnimar and one of its most notorious antagonists.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doomsday Dawn IC Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 03:04:18 pm »

Talga whines as you approach the main gates. "Th-this is as close as Talga can get. It reeks of them even from here."

She looks up at all of you, shaking slightly. "Talga has map of place. Here," she says as she shoves a scrap of parchment into your hands, "Is there anything else you require of Talga?"

Spoiler: map (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 03:45:09 pm »

"No."
Sigrun glares down at the goblin. Then a smirk appears on her face as she has an idea. She puts on her mask suddenly in the hopes of terrifying the little goblin even farther.
"You're far too weak anyways. I doubt you could defend yourself even if you were willing to go in there with us."

(+0 to Intimidation if you feel like rolling that.)
Sheet

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 03:45:42 pm »

Ptw

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 03:59:56 pm »

"Nay, little one. I believe we'll be fine from here. Run along now.", says Penda, looking down at the goblin.

Sheet

Avanti!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 04:31:34 pm »

Vem adjusts his goggles, thinking. His companions dismissive attitude rankles him.

Sigrun glares down at the goblin. Then a smirk appears on her face as she has an idea. She puts on her mask suddenly in the hopes of terrifying the little goblin even farther.

He waves away Sigrun with a long Elvish frown. He was no fan of bullies. "...That's quite enough. This little one was one of those who tried to fight a tyrant. And despite losing, volunteered to help us do what she could not. It takes courage to act...and like any chemical solution, no one can say how they'll react until they're tested."

He tries to comfort the Goblin with his words, before asking questions as gently as he could.

"...I actually think you might be able to help us Talga. We could use information. Would you be willing to provide us information about the cave system and its defenses?"

Sheet

« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 04:39:26 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 04:54:18 pm »

Sigrun lowers her mask from her face, frowning.
She mutters "What, do you think she knows anything useful?" to nobody in particular.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 05:15:58 pm »

She mutters "What, do you think she knows anything useful?" to nobody in particular.

Scaramouche pipes up while stowing his lute into his backpack.

"Why indeed, important information may come from the unlikeliest of places. Plus, this cave system was her home, so who better to ask for information at this time?"

He smiles at Talga.

"I realize this might be an uncomfortable question, but what is this Drakus like? What does he look like, does he have any favourite techniques or weapons? Also, I've noticed the map isn't annotated. Could you perhaps tell us what is in each of the rooms on the map?"

Ask questions. Also, could you point out where on the map we've entered? I'm not completely sure.

sheet

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 10:09:44 am »

((Your entrance is the southern bit that extends from the circular room and off the map. I'll mark you as soon as you're on.))

Talga jumps and almost takes off before Vem and Scaramouche pipe up in defense. "Goblins here are no friends of Talga anymore. They will kill anyone who enters here.
Drakus took our blood when he was upset with us. He leaves us on display with holes in our necks so the rest of us behave."

Talga starts backing up slowly before running off into the sewers, shouting back, "Talga wishes you luck!"

Spoiler: map (click to show/hide)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 11:39:46 am »

"Wonderful work, sister." Scaramouche says, still looking quite jovial. "You have scared off our only source of information. This will surely add some much needed challenge to our task ahead. A person must always keep pushing themselves to get better, after all."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 11:50:21 am »

"Uh...right." Vem said as the Goblin dashed off.

"Wonderful work, sister." Scaramouche says, still looking quite jovial. "You have scared off our only source of information. This will surely add some much needed challenge to our task ahead. A person must always keep pushing themselves to get better, after all."

"The strongest solutions must be tested in the harshest conditions..." Vem added.
"Let's just hope we're up to the task. Oh, Mortal folly, how I abjure thee..."

He sighed and dug through his pack, preparing for the difficult journey ahead.

Spoiler: Daily Prep (click to show/hide)

Vem hand each party member a potion belt with 3 potions each-2 life elixirs and 1 darkvision potion

"Wear these. The bottles are organized so you can tell by touch alone...

Please do not throw away the bottles. I can reuse them."

He gave himself a short introduction afterwards.

"For those of you who do not know of me, my name is Vem Korle, an Alchemist. I mostly fight at range, tossing bombs and such. I am capable of some minor spells which should enhance my combat efficacy. I can scout ahead using my familiar, but I'd not want to risk him while we still might need him. And yes, I don't really have many of these potions to go around, so I'm mostly down to wits and a few spells. In my defense I just finished Elven College. I wasn't expecting to go trouncing around in caves and dells, following mortal adventurers to horrible doom, at best pre-digestive. But I do have student debts to pay." He finished gloomily.

He gave more explanations if required.

Spoiler: Elixir of Life (click to show/hide)
Vem tapped the bottle of golden-green elixir. "...note you have two potions carved with a sheaf of wheat on the surface of the lid. These are life elixirs. They can cure your wounds, stave off deaths grim hand, and fortify your body if you are particularly hale."

Spoiler: Darkvision Elixir (click to show/hide)
"...The potion marked with the moon symbols will allow you to see in total darkness for about 10 minutes. Highly useful for humans, who lack adept night sight." He said pedantically.

Spoiler: Bottled Lightning (click to show/hide)
"My lightning bombs can cause harm and physical pacification to the target, leaving them open to our attacks. The effect occurs a large radius, by the way, so...do be quick on your feet, I'd hate to accidentally zap you...." He said, glancing at Sigrun briefly.

Spoiler: Smokestick (click to show/hide)
"These are most useful for those who desire concealment for escape, stealth, or evading enemy attacks at range. In a melee their uses is somewhat chaotic, helping foes as well as allies. I would prefer to keep these for the more intelligent members of the party. Who fight in the rear." He said, holding up one of the devices-it looked like a roll of grass woven together, but had a strong baked smell to it.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 11:53:10 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 11:55:54 am »

@Gentlefish

Action: Meanwhile, Vem ponders his history and 'adventuring' lessons. What can he recall about Magnimar and the Ashen Ossuary?

Lore roll!

Lore: Pathfinder Check +5
Lore: History Check +5

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 11:58:02 am »

"A capital idea, mon ami! Introductions are in order."

He takes off his hat, giving it a dramatic flourish.

"The name is Scaramouche, musician, bard, seeker of knowledge and all around loveable rogue. I bring you songs and verses to bolster your courage in combat, along with some minor spells to hinder our enemies. I can also defend myself, albeit rather poorly. If you need anyone sweet talked, intimidated, decieved or otherwise verbally affected, I am your man."
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 11:59:33 am by Pancaek »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2018, 12:07:29 pm »

Vem nodded politely, rubbing his chin.

"I'm only so decent at talking to people, though I something of an expert at all things bureaucratic, historical, hematogical, alchemical, occultic, arcane. I merely dabble in the medical. I'm also a connoisseur of fine smokes.

Personally, I think you could be perfect for our goals-I was hoping some of the Goblins might be encouraged to take up arms again...but this cavern is likely defended only by fanatics..."
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 12:09:21 pm by Dwarmin »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 12:21:25 pm »

Sigrun pushes away the offered potions.
"Right. Thanks but no thanks. I've already got a belt, and it has useful things on it, not some flasks of water with trippy leaves mixed in. I'd rather not hallucinate while I'm in a fight."
Pages: [1] 2