Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finding the Leak  (Read 616 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Finding the Leak
« on: August 11, 2018, 05:00:19 pm »

A giant bat just wandered into my fortress, so I've got a leak into the first cavern somewhere. Is there a script that'll find that sort of leak?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Finding the Leak
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 05:45:13 pm »

Not that I'm aware of, but any leak is going to be located wherever you've breached the caverns. Keep in mind creatures may be able to sneak in diagonally upwards, like so:

B█
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 06:21:38 pm »

If there isn't a DFHack util that "paints as burrow every accessible tile" then there probably shoupd be. If this does exist and it works completely through the leak, it might at least show you (by reviewing the burrow's painted limits) which of the caverns it is you're leaking with (may show more than one cavern if there's links between them!) but if it doesn't itself leak through (because it's a flying connection to open air up above the actual cavern floor) it does still at least give you abcisual clue as to which inside-fort tiles are adjacent to cavern voids. Either for the same horizontal slice, or by "blink comparisoning" through Z-up/Z-down scrolling you spot a vertical-diagonal opertunity tnat may be to blame.

(Also beware up/down carved stairways into cavern rooves, which should be 'capped' with an up-stair constructed to seal the breach in the usual inter-Z 'floor/ceiling' tile layer.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 07:14:37 pm »

I was hoping for a script that would try to flying-path from one point to another, and then show the path if there is one. Or maybe it would be as simple as spawning a flyer in the suspect cavern, and then watching it fly in.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 01:46:32 am »

Not sure how you can have such a leak you can't detect. I always build vertical staircases to get to the magma and if I breach a cavern it's always quite simple to wall it off. The "leak" is wherever you breached the cavern.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 02:44:51 am »

Not that I'm aware of, but any leak is going to be located wherever you've breached the caverns. Keep in mind creatures may be able to sneak in diagonally upwards, like so:

B█
If this is a cross section with the Y dimension being vertical Z levels, has this been tested?

Otherwise, you might be able to find the leak by sealing the lower levels of your fortress and flooding it with water. If it drains out from anywhere, that's probably the leak. Just make sure you have drainage pumps ready (preferably in a cavern-less spot so you don't accidentally make a new leak).

Dwachs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 02:47:32 am »

You could also have a leak at points where you felt underground trees and tunneled underneath. Sometimes also underground creatures dodge through one-tile walls into the fortress. Both happened to me with forgotten beasts.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 02:48:59 am »

You could also have a leak at points where you felt underground trees and tunneled underneath. Sometimes also underground creatures dodge through one-tile walls into the fortress. Both happened to me with forgotten beasts.
Fortifications in particular are generally very poor security, and can be jumped through.
If fortifications are absolutely necessary, make sure they're carved out of walls, and not fortifications that you construct directly.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 03:57:20 am »

B█
If this is a cross section with the Y dimension being vertical Z levels, has this been tested?

Otherwise, you might be able to find the leak by sealing the lower levels of your fortress and flooding it with water. If it drains out from anywhere, that's probably the leak. Just make sure you have drainage pumps ready (preferably in a cavern-less spot so you don't accidentally make a new leak).

It happened in previous versions with stairs + climbers especially, but there were also some reports of it happening without stairs (in particular with fliers, but I've also seen a report with screenshots of troll tunneling through such a gap).

But Toady supposedly tried to fix that in 44.06; I don't know if it has been tested extensively since then.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 03:59:29 am by Fleeting Frames »