Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Outpost Liaison and a Vampire Mayor  (Read 488 times)

Tilmar13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Outpost Liaison and a Vampire Mayor
« on: August 04, 2018, 08:23:52 pm »

The resident vampire locked in her room keeps getting re-elected as mayor year after year. After two years of getting the "no liaison, how curious" message, I figured it out. Because the outpost liaison can't get to her, the meeting never happens. So I replaced the mayor with someone else and the diplomat left angry. If I unlock the door, the mayor tries to escape to eat somebody. And yet...I need to get them to contact the liaison. On the bright side, the vampire has really easy demands to make. I really don't wanna kill my vampire (she's a great bookkeeper). How do I get my liaison and mayor together?
Klinka Na Karaz : Grung A Na Grungron : Az A Na Ankor
A Pick for the Earth : A Hammer for the Anvil : An Axe for everything else

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost Liaison and a Vampire Mayor
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 09:32:33 pm »

The resident vampire locked in her room keeps getting re-elected as mayor year after year. After two years of getting the "no liaison, how curious" message, I figured it out. Because the outpost liaison can't get to her, the meeting never happens. So I replaced the mayor with someone else and the diplomat left angry. If I unlock the door, the mayor tries to escape to eat somebody. And yet...I need to get them to contact the liaison. On the bright side, the vampire has really easy demands to make. I really don't wanna kill my vampire (she's a great bookkeeper). How do I get my liaison and mayor together?
Apply magma to the vampire. Elect a new mayor.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 09:42:54 pm »

Well, you can keep replacing on every election, possibly helped along by editing announcements.txt to pause and popup box whenever someone is elected to remind you to replace.

If you have a spare jail time crime and have enabled justice system, you can convict the vampire of the crime and have them chained, then forbid the chain. Might want to do airlocked preparation to ensure they don't feed on someone until justice reaches them.

You could possibly also try to elevate the social skills of your desired mayor above vamp's, such as by doing bunch of trades with 2 coins for 1 at the depot.

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 03:34:49 am »

Wouldn't a chained vampire still snack on the liason, making the OP wait even longer for the one after that to be named?

Simply replacing the mayor at the start of autumn might last long enough for this meeting.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 06:21:37 am »

Vampires need sleeping people. Build a long corridor with couple of doors to the vampire's room. Usually the liaison waits at the first door (already built). Unlock the newly built doors in the corridor, the vampire will start running to the fortress (to any sleeper actually), but at the same time the liaison will either repath (let him) or better yet unlock the first door, which will allow the liaison to go inside, then lock all doors. They will meet.

After meeting, unlock the doors in the corridor, and slowly progress the game till they are separated by doors. Usually the vampire will be well ahead, so you can lock it somewhere on the way, and let the liaison out using the original first door.

Or, if you have dfhack, you can cheat a bit and temporarily disable the hunger of vampire (save it as sate-vampires.lua in \hack\scripts\ directory and run "sate-vampires" from dfhack's console):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This will make the vamp sated, and it will try to feed only after the next three months or so.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 07:32:58 am »

If you're going to cheat with DFHack I'd suggest teleporting the liaison to the mayor, if you insist of keeping her.
Personally I replace the elected mayor after each election to get a nice mandate free one.

Toady fixed a meeting bug half a year or so ago. That bug caused meetings to stall because people were still scheduled to meet the old mayor, blocking the "queue". The fix caused them to reschedule to the new one, which ought to cover liaisons, but I don't get those, so I've never tested it.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 03:10:33 pm »

There was an old thread about this, but I can't find it. The closest thing is a reddit that suggests an office made of two rooms separated by an internal door. If a pressure plate opens the door temporarily, then that should create a path for the meeting to start. Allegedly, the meeting can then be held through walls/windows/fortifications. Not sure if it was ever actually tested.

Alternatively, you could have a setup that opens the internal door and locks the liaison in with him. You'd have to let the liaison out manually, somehow separating them. You could use the fact vampires aren't spooked by undead.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 03:16:03 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?