Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Managed getting Dwarf Fortress to actually play "well" with a gamepad.  (Read 3707 times)

tutasmaster

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Background

Summer is being way too hot for me, so just typing all day with a keyboard with my forearm against a table is just too hot. So i got my old Playstation 2 era dual stick controller to play some games more confortably.
 Problem is, while many modern games are compatible with a controller, Dwarf Fortress wouldn't be the first thing you would probably think about when i say "controller compatible". After a bit of googling i came across "Draewa's General-Purpose DF Bindings" on steamcontrollerdb. Problem is, it was made for a steam controller so the lack of a trackpad was a problem.
 Still, i had an idea of how it was done and tried my best to make a functional system for a normal gamepad, like the PS4 controller, XBONE or anyone "standard" controller.

Setup

This will require you to have steam, and probably say goodbye to tools like Dwarf Therapist, because it's way too hard to get that to work. I mostly played it in Dwarf mode just because i am not an Adventure Mode enthusiast, but i belive it's playable that way aswell.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Gameplay
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Is it perfect?

If you are looking for perfection, first of all, welcome to Dwarf Fortress you are going to have good time here.
Second, no this is not a perfect solution by any means. The change from 1 page to another is really jittery. It doesn't look very good.
But is it functional? I'd like to say it is. About half an hour into using it i got into the habit just like i got used to press b-w-r to build a craftdwarf's workshop.
I highly encourage you guys to try to improve setup to suit your needs in any way and post it here. Controlling your dwarfs from a couch probably can become a mere breeze with some tweaking.

(no idea how to add attachments yet, so here's a download link from my google drive file. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S83PdKkSd2k-Y3IPD2KwLKjkilwhccp7/view?usp=sharing )

Steedat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Managed getting Dwarf Fortress to actually play "well" with a gamepad.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 08:03:22 am »

This is impressive! I've got and old PS2 controller I'd like to use for some games. How did you connect yours to your PC?

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 02:57:41 pm »

Summer is being way too hot for me, so just typing all day with a keyboard with my forearm against a table is just too hot. So
Recommend an industrial type floor fan and a mesh chair. Place fan near by. For best results, remove pants and destroy power bills.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 02:59:19 pm by Dwarf_Fever »
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 12:11:50 am »

Wrap a damp towel over your head when sitting next to the floor fan.  That should do the trick.  If it's stupidly hot, then wet your t-shirt too, but even when it's over 40 degrees here (104 F), that's too cold for me.  Evaporative cooling next to a fan should pull the temp down to around 20 C (68 F).  The trick is to stay damp.

Uh... you might want to invest in GFCI breakers too ;-)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 12:54:56 am »

This will require you to have steam, and probably say goodbye to tools like Dwarf Therapist,

No method for me, because Steam is saying goodbye to all XP and Vista users (since January 1st, 2019). I have hundreds of games on Steam (and have been using it for 10+ years), but after learning this I stopped buying there and I'm trying to wean off...

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 06:19:35 am »

Why do you still have XP or Vista?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 01:48:45 pm »

Why do you still have XP or Vista?

Because of three reasons
1. Vista has no advanced spying, which was introduced in Win7, and thankfully not ported back to Vista.
2. Upgrading from Vista Ultimate (which I have) to Windows 7 Pro (for which I have a licence) is impossible without reinstalling, because it is officially recognised as a downgrade. And I have way over 500+ programs and fine tuned, nice environment. Not all of these programs play well with Win7+, and for some I don't even have ability to activate them anymore (because dead server or something).
3. Every new version of Windows introduces limits on what the users can do. Vista for example went away with networking over FireWire (which was very nice for debugging programs). In Windows 7 there were a couple of functionalities offed, which I still use. Newer versions are even more restrictive.

Vista is mostly the same as Win7, Microsoft ported most of features back to Vista over years, with main exception being some kernel functions, and driver model (for certain classes of drivers). XP is much different, but still faster and less resource hungry even than Vista/Win7, which has its pluses, and it still has functions which were removed later (I mentioned the most important one).

By the way, on topic, one of the programs I have installed is Pinnacle Game Profiler. I have bought it back when I was a fan of gamepad playing (I'm not anymore, for certain reasons). This basically allows customise gamepad any way I want, including emulating mouse and keyboard. Though I haven't seen any profile for Dwarf Fortress.

tutasmaster

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 05:02:31 am »

This is impressive! I've got and old PS2 controller I'd like to use for some games. How did you connect yours to your PC?
It's a third party one. But either way I am pretty sure there are adapters.

tutasmaster

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 05:10:49 am »

Wrap a damp towel over your head when sitting next to the floor fan.  That should do the trick.  If it's stupidly hot, then wet your t-shirt too, but even when it's over 40 degrees here (104 F), that's too cold for me.  Evaporative cooling next to a fan should pull the temp down to around 20 C (68 F).  The trick is to stay damp.

Uh... you might want to invest in GFCI breakers too ;-)

lol, didn't expect to get actual advice on how to get cold during the summer xD will keep the tips anyway. thanks

HellTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 07:21:16 am »

for the autohotkey scripting language there are some nice things, https://autohotkey.com/docs/scripts/JoystickMouse.htm

tutasmaster

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018, 08:05:09 am »

for the autohotkey scripting language there are some nice things, https://autohotkey.com/docs/scripts/JoystickMouse.htm
Oh wow, i had no idea Autohotkey had an API for it. I knew it was powerful for a long time, but i didn't realize it was THAT good. Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention.  :D