Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: Arks Race - Tokari: Ark Anvil (Jump 1, Revision)  (Read 12578 times)

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
Re: Arks Race - Tokari: Ark Anvil (Jump 1 - Design)
« Reply #135 on: July 16, 2018, 02:44:35 pm »

Quote from: Votebox
Design Proposals:

SUD (0):
Knowing when to cut your losses (0):
Cutting losses, Grinder edition (1): Frostgiant
Wimps and Office Supplies (3): Iridium, Jilladilla, DoubloonSeven
Wimps and Nordic Legend (1): Thanik

Project Cancellation

Cancel Project 'Automated Resource Requisitions' (4): Iridium, Frostgiant, Thanik, DoubloonSeven
Don't Cancel ARR (0):
...fair enough. A few things like the Kestrel can probably be mounted on the outside of modules.

Avanti!

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 16, 2018, 02:51:56 pm »

Design Proposals:

SUD (0):
Cutting losses, Grinder edition (0):
Wimps and Nordic Legend (2): Thanik, Frostgiant

Project Cancellation

Cancel Project 'Automated Resource Requisitions' (4): Iridium, Frostgiant, Thanik, DoubloonSeven
Don't Cancel ARR (0):

I refuse to vote for a plan without lifesupport, so I'll go with this one.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 16, 2018, 02:54:43 pm »

Since our strategy so far seems to be long-range warfare and we lack anything really damaging at that range, what is everyone's opinion on missiles?
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

KhazintheDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 16, 2018, 03:02:03 pm »

Just going to mention, Thanik and I did some calcs & brainstorming, the Mjolnir is the middle tier weapon and it still fires a plasma projectile at 3,000km/s every 100ms with the resultant energy release equivalent to 4-5 tons of TNT all while keeping the weapon and energy storage smaller than a tank turret.

Edit: (Velocity & energy yield are lower bounds)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 03:05:25 pm by KhazintheDark »

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 16, 2018, 03:05:31 pm »

Umm.

I guess we win?
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
  • I'd rather be a rising ape than a falling angel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 16, 2018, 03:16:47 pm »

Umm.

I guess we win?

It's a pretty potent weapon system, but it's not the end-all be-all to weapons in space. While it's good at penetration for a few layers, the fact it's mass is low means it doesn't have a lot of kinetic energy retention and what it does have isn't in a huge area - it's in a ring that will propel hypervelocity molten slag into the interior of their vessel, cause a shower of x-rays that will vaporize an area of armor and kill electronics, and a thermal shockwave that will ripple through their armor, but it won't have the same effect as a railgun slug drilling it's way into them or a missile which could cover the entire thing in Flak.

The thing is, in space, if you get hit and you don't have much redundancy / pretty fucking potent armor, you're dead. That should be a lesson to our side as well in combat. One thing they could do to weaken the jet is to use whipple shields, as a after the initial impact you're going to have a high-velocity jet of molten material, but with successive shots you're going to blast layer after layer off and eventually get to the juicy core. The thermal shockwaves, meanwhile, can only impact a single layer at a time.

So, while not an answer to everything, it's a really heckin' potent system.

Disclaimer: This is just how I see it, based on what I've read, without much contemplation on the topic. If I gave it some thought I could probably get a clearer picture ready.

God that was longer than I wanted it to be. All I know is it is really, really promising.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 01:55:35 pm by Thanik »
Noble Nafuni Engineer

KhazintheDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 16, 2018, 03:21:40 pm »

Da spinal gun iz kalled da God-Splitter.

Design Proposals:

SUD (0):
Wimps and Nordic Legend (3): Thanik, Frostgiant, KhazintheDark

Project Cancellation

Don't Cancel ARR (0):
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 03:23:38 pm by KhazintheDark »

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 16, 2018, 03:23:28 pm »

Da spinal gun iz kales da God-Splitter.

Suffice to say, et kil' thangs Reel Gud.
Noble Nafuni Engineer

KhazintheDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 16, 2018, 03:25:11 pm »

Suffice to say, et kil' thangs Reel Gud.
It killz tingz Real Gud. Wee’z orkz, not Hilly-gitz.

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 16, 2018, 04:11:25 pm »

Design Proposals:

SUD (0):
Wimps and Office Supplies (4): Iridium, Jilladilla, DoubloonSeven, Thanik
Wimps and Nordic Legend (3): Thanik, Frostgiant, KhazintheDark

Project Cancellation

Don't Cancel ARR (0):

Doubloon erased my vote for WaOS.
Noble Nafuni Engineer

KhazintheDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 16, 2018, 04:26:23 pm »

Design Proposals:

SUD (0):
Wimps and Office Supplies (5): Iridium, Jilladilla, DoubloonSeven, Thanik, KhazintheDark
Wimps and Nordic Legend (2): Thanik, Frostgiant

Project Cancellation

Cancel Project 'Automated Resource Requisitions' (5): Iridium, Frostgiant, Thanik, DoubloonSeven, KhazintheDark
Don't Cancel ARR (0):

WAAAGH!!!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Arks Race - Tokari: Ark Anvil (Jump 1, Design)
« Reply #146 on: July 18, 2018, 08:11:19 pm »

Project costs have been removed (but resources have not been simplified, for those who've read the post in the Core Thread).
Jump 1: Design Phase
The strange sounds of the Slipdrive fade out as the crew let go from their brace positions and start wandering about the ship again. Ah, real space. Something somehow taken for granted.
People have started making the Ark their home. A few have claimed some smaller empty rooms surrounding the Cryovault as personal rooms, and others have started bunking up in ad-hoc homes. It may have technically been E.S.I. property, but it's starting to become yours now.

Downtime is used to go over Jump 1 design results.
Design: 'Kestrel' Point Defense Laser
The Kestrel is a short-ranged pulsed laser weapon, designed to take out incoming missiles and shells before they impact our ship's hull. It has a passive sensor bank that allows it to keep track of all objects within range above a few centimeters in height, and an active sensor system that tracks the nearest object to itself to aid in firing upon it. It is capable of detecting friendly fighter craft by having them emit signals on a specific identification frequency. All other objects will be fired upon automatically, unless firing is overruled electronically. As the system is automated, it does not require a human operator.
Project
Time: [4] Progress: [2]

While we aren't quite far enough in our other laser-related project to draw upon it for experience in this new project, it shouldn't be a huge deal anyways. Laser systems are complicated, but remain well within the realm of possibility and aren't really breaking tremendous new ground. The lasers also don't need to be powerful enough to do notable damage to an enemy Ark, so we got that going for us. It's just a matter of slowly going over diagrams brought with us from Earth and figuring out how to adapt it to our uses.

'Kestrel' Point Defense Laser: 0/5 [2] | Rushed 0 Times | Nothing Invested

Prototype
Efficacy: [3]
The results aren't amazing. Slow physical tracking ability combined with a faulty (and unsupervised) firing control system make accurately hitting enemy projectiles extraordinarily hard.

Any unidentified targets will be fired upon by the Kestrel. Physical targets of Medium size and larger not going insane speeds can actually be hit, with a 33% base chance for successful interception ignoring potential countermeasures employed by the projectile. The Kestrel can also be overwhelmed by many projectiles at once (only focusing on one or two at a time), and will shut down if it loses power to its systems.

• Design: 'Kestrel' Point Defense Laser
    -5 Power;   0 LS Capacity;   -1 Skeleton Space
    A "simple" Ark-wide laser defense system that fires at any Medium+-sized object not going insane speeds, with a 33% base chance to intercept. Shuts down without full power, and can be overwhelmed by lots of projectiles.
    20 Noble Gases, 100 Metal, 250 Non-Metal

Design: ERASER-15 M1-1 'Mjolnir'
[Link to original post]
Project
Time: [1] Progress: [5]
The ERASER is a design our engineers are very excited about and eager to work on; but this may be the first time they've started encountering real problems that weren't already mostly-solved back on Earth. Most of the effort goes into generating plasma projectiles stable enough to last long enough to hit the enemy Ark, as well as getting the whole system to work as expected.

As eager as our engineers are, they'll need a lot of time to solve the problems the Mjolnir presents.

ERASER-15 M1-1 'Mjolnir': 0/18 [3] | Rushed 0 Times | Nothing Invested

Prototype
Efficacy: [6]

Luckily our engineers cobbled together some simulations and calculations for a presentation on the practicality of the Mjolnir.
And it's... something.

The effective "stream" of plasma projectiles propelled towards the enemy Ark will be something to behold. It doesn't have terrific armor penetration (though that's just relative to the rest of its stats) but the effects it has on the internal systems can be sufficiently described as "devastating".
Any module hit by the Mjolnir (without any kind of measures to prevent the following effects) has a 50% chance to be shut down completely for the rest of the battle -- whether it's by superheating the interior to lethal levels, disabling crew, disabling electronics, or other effects. This won't last beyond the timeframe of a typical battle and won't present any real lasting damage, but that's when the actual destructive part of the Mjolnir comes in.

An unarmored module will suffer 60% base integrity damage, though damage is halved against armor. The entire thing is quite small all things considered, and an effective turret is planned. For best usage against an Ark, a single Mjolnir module should target one module, but if linked to a (currently nonexistent) appropriate fire-control system, the Mjolnir will be able to completely annihilate incoming projectiles. The sheer volume of plasma propelled towards targets provides a base 90% chance of successful interception on any given projectile (though it can only focus on one projectile at once), at the cost of 5 Noble Gas per interception attempt.
In normal (anti-module) operations, it costs 10 Noble Gas to "fuel" the weapon, along with quite a bit of power. Though it doesn't require micromanagement, it does need a small crew to manage the weapon and its targets properly.

• Design: ERASER-15 M1-1 'Mjolnir'
    -4 Power;   0 LS Capacity;   -1 Skeleton Space
    Consumes 10 Noble Gases / Jump
    A devastating "plasma railgun" that fires a stream of doughnut-shaped plasma projectiles at the target. Does 60% base integrity damage (halved against armor), and has a 50% chance regardless of armor to completely disable a module for the rest of combat. If provided (currently non-existent) adequate fire-control links, it can attempt to intercept incoming projectiles at 90% base chance per projectile and -5 NG per projectile.
    100 Noble Gases, 400 Metal, 700 Non-Metal

Design: AWIMP M1-1 Generation 'Chtorr'
In an effort to root out the base problem of Project ARR, the Chtorr represents one large, intelligent centralized system in the form of a single drone, smaller than the current shuttlecraft, outfitted with a series of capable sensor arrays and a myriad of mining tools such as nets, lasers and drills. The WIMP thus has two sets of behaviour - asteroids smaller or small enough to be cut into small-enough pieces to fit into it's main opening in a limited number of sweeps are harvested quickly and processed as usual, while larger asteroids are purposefully sought out with the intent of mining asteroids dry from the inside out, which would also double as a form of protection for the WIMP, as it would both be undetectable from the outside, hidden behind a thick layer of rock, and as it would, in the case of enemy fire, be secluded behind the same. When not in operation, up to three WIMPs should be able to coil themselves up inside a compact cylindrical module the same size as a standard Mining Bay, ready to be repaired by technicians and engineers in the event of them receiving combat damage.
Project
Time: [4] Progress: [5]

While we don't have too much experience from the now-failed Project ARR, we still have some to go off of. Thanks to the little research we have from that project in addition to general experience of space-mining from both the archives and the current mining bay, this project shouldn't take long at all.

AWIMP M1-1 Generation 'Chtorr' 0/8 [3] | Rushed 0 Times | Nothing Invested

Prototype
Efficacy: [4]

The Chtorr is estimated to be fairly effective. While it can pick up smaller asteroids and store them inside, the worm-like drones are best used to mine out the interior of asteroids then return to the ship for maintenance and drop-off. As we may end up mining in the middle of combat, the Chtorrs can, when threatened, retreat to the nearest space -- whether it's a hangar or a hollow asteroid -- to curl up and hide inside until danger is over. But the requirement for this is unlikely, as Chtorrs will be spending the majority of the time outside the ship inside asteroids where it'd be hard to even detect them.
Chtorrs use fairly simplistic software (though with better hardware and some mild experience used from the ill-fated ARR project), and while they can work completely automated and not mine other drones, they are limited a bit by this.

The project involves two parts - the hangar bay and the drone themselves. The Hangar bay can hold two drones (we could not get Chtorrs to curl up enough for three, unfortunately) and the drones are built separately. A drone can be assigned during the Production Phase to mine one type of resource. The amount produced of each resource is as such:
30 Uranics OR 30 Noble Gases OR 250 Metal OR 250 Non-Metal

In other words, a bit less than the output of any individual resource type from a mining bay. Again, each Chtorr drone can only mine one resource type, but multiple drones can work the same resource type.

• Design: AWIMP Bay
    -2 Power;   -1 LS Capacity;   -1 Skeleton Space
    A hangar bay for AWIMP M1-1 Generation 'Chtorr' Mining Drones. Can hold two drones.
    200 Metal, 400 Non-Metal
  • Design: AWIMP M1-1 Generation 'Chtorr'
    [PARASITE CRAFT]
    A parasite craft based out of the AWIMP Bay. Can mine one resource type at a time, producing 30U OR 30NG OR 250M OR 250NM.
    20 Uranics, 100 Metal, 200 Non-Metal

The Automated Resource Requisitions project has been cancelled, yielding 3 Dice for use in only this Jump.
Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ark Anvil (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Challenge: VIP Accomodations
Tokari hackers have finally managed to crack the codes on a sub-deck of the Anvil, revealing a decent number of rooms that must have been intended for priority members of the Ark's original skeleton crew. We have several choices here (to make by the end of Jump 1's production phase):
  • Scrap the rooms: Gain 100 Metal and 150 Non-Metal and +1 Skeleton Space from taking apart the rooms and leaving the skeleton.
  • Convert the rooms: Converting the rooms into further R&D spaces could yield +1 Dice.
  • Use the rooms: Gain +2 Life Support Capacity by using the rooms to house more crew in.
The Revision Phase of Jump 1 has begun. We will encounter the Corporate Ark on the beginning of Jump 3.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 03:45:21 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arks Race - Tokari: Ark Anvil (Jump 1, Revision)
« Reply #147 on: July 18, 2018, 08:38:35 pm »

We need a better point-defence targeting system, preferably something that can feed numbers to both the Kestral and the Mjolnir.

Is it +1 dice per turn?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 08:40:07 pm by Iridium64 »
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 18, 2018, 08:46:09 pm »

I hate to say it, but the chtorr is also worse than the standard mining bays. It can produce *slightly* more of one resource, at the cost of all other resource production.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 18, 2018, 09:00:45 pm »

I hate to say it, but the chtorr is also worse than the standard mining bays. It can produce *slightly* more of one resource, at the cost of all other resource production.
You're looking at it from the wrong point of view, the new miner is *much* more promising. While it isn't as good at getting us everything, it's great at specialization, especially for metals and non-metals. (It can bring in 500 metal a turn if we tune it for that fully; more than 2 normal mining bays!) Remember that we can cram 2 of the things in one module Helmacon.
A very good supplementary resource gatherer, even if it can't obsolete the default mining bay. In fact, these things are great if we want to build up more skeleton space.
EDIT: Another benefit is that the manner of their mining does grant them a degree of stealth, in the event that they try to interfere with our resource gathering. :END EDIT

Definitely agree with using a revision to work out a better fire control computer; while the ERASER can pull point defense duty, it's both a much more expensive module and drains resources doing so; and we'd rather have it burning down the other Ark.

Other revision ideas include reinforcing our reactor, making it less fragile; maybe tune-up our life-support module a bit; or perhaps try to cram a third drone in the AWIMP hanger?

As for the decision; I feel the +2 Life Support choice is a bit of a trap; yes it's free Life Support, no questions asked, but if we choose Skeleton Space, we can slap our starter Emergency Life Support in that new slot and get 5. It'd only have a net cost of 50 non-metal as well! (And 3 power, but our newer reactor is pretty solid at that)
The dice option, if it's just 1 dice, that's a bit eh? If it's +1 per turn though... Something to think about either way.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 09:03:01 pm by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12