Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 404970 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: CAWtastrophe
« Reply #1545 on: January 21, 2019, 04:04:03 am »

"Wonderful!" Auft chirps happily, glancing between the dead guardian and the alive Alex. And the babbling AsHul.

"On the one hand, we did say we'd return the artifact. On the other, at least two of us have technically died. This is not a 1000 Fathom mission if a quarter of the people on it die! I don't know how much you need to pay somebody to die, but if it was only 125 Fathoms I'd have a lot more desire for money.

In summary, we should renegotiate in light of the rather excessive conditions of this task."

Poke around the books in the wall-rooms. Are they actual texts with things in them, and if so do they suggest any kind of cultural origin or subject preference?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: January 21, 2019, 12:11:54 pm »

"Attempting to renegotiate the contract sounds reasonable. But let's make sure we don't somehow piss off the entire Church while we do so, yes? It feels like it would be bad to be on their shit list."

Join Auft in poking around the books. See if there's any interesting literature laying about.
Also, take a look at the bow I picked up. Can I discern the OOC stats of this thing?

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1547 on: January 23, 2019, 03:28:32 pm »

"everything is terrible all the time. But at least you're alive again, Alex. Seriously though. Those shoes ...

Guardian is dead? Well done, everyone. If that previous room counted as a Guardian, we have one remaining to face.

So, I think we've all been thinking this, but let's put it out there for everyone: we're claiming the Core of this vision as compensation for our troubles. Objections?"

Edit: Get under control. Crying can come later. If I manage to become at least semi-coherent again, rejoin the rest of the group and inspect the spiral staircase room, up and down.

[15]
You manage to pull yourself together and get up. Still sniffling you head out to the rest of the group and look at the room. The shaft is pretty tall, but the landing is quite near the bottom, maybe 20 or 30 feet up off the floor of the shaft while the rest of the shaft is maybe 400 feet tall. The bottom of the shaft is a mostly flat expanse of stone, though it looks pretty natural and not artificially flattened. 

"What's wrong with my shoes? So I die and you decide this is the time to check out my shoes?

Whatever, I'm all up for it, the Church won't like it, but screw them, we'll get our payment and the core."

Follow the rest of the group, also shift my position so I'm located near the back.
Spoiler: Alex Wells (click to show/hide)
You walk behind the group, carefully keeping everyone between you and possible danger.

Nyw sighs when Ashul collapses, but still kneels next to the abomination and carefully picks it up, taking care to not allow it any chance to hurt him.

"We will not be stealing the item we agreed to retrieve.  Beyond the simple facts that we are all deeply indebted to the church, and have already made an agreement, upon waking we will find ourselves within a vertitable fortress which we do not know.  Making enemies of that fortres' garrison would be an action of unparalleled foolishness.  However, I do think it would be in order to demand greater remuneration."

Pick up and restrain Ashul, then carry him along with the group.  Knock him out with a punch if he starts to dive.

Ashul seems to get over his freak out, so you don't pick him up. You do however stay right next to him, ready to punch the crap out of him if he starts doing dangerous things. Like glare too intensely.

"Attempting to renegotiate the contract sounds reasonable. But let's make sure we don't somehow piss off the entire Church while we do so, yes? It feels like it would be bad to be on their shit list."

Join Auft in poking around the books. See if there's any interesting literature laying about.
Also, take a look at the bow I picked up. Can I discern the OOC stats of this thing?

"Wonderful!" Auft chirps happily, glancing between the dead guardian and the alive Alex. And the babbling AsHul.

"On the one hand, we did say we'd return the artifact. On the other, at least two of us have technically died. This is not a 1000 Fathom mission if a quarter of the people on it die! I don't know how much you need to pay somebody to die, but if it was only 125 Fathoms I'd have a lot more desire for money.

In summary, we should renegotiate in light of the rather excessive conditions of this task."

Poke around the books in the wall-rooms. Are they actual texts with things in them, and if so do they suggest any kind of cultural origin or subject preference?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
((The bow's stats are somewhat variable. Its (Pierce X) where the X depends on the strength of the user. ))

Auft and Clate split from the group and start looking around. They head up the stairs a bit until they find a room with a bookself; the room itself appears to be upside down though. Auft steps in first and promptly falls upward onto the ceiling. However her perspective almost instantly reorients such that she's laying on the floor and Clate is standing on an upside down staircase, apparently defying gravity. Clate's transition is a bit less awkward, though he still ends up sprawled on a rug after the sharp change in gravity.  After both have gotten used to their sudden reorientation, they pick up a few of the books on the shelf and start looking through them. They appear to be real books, but not in any language they understand.  There are images but not of things they know or recognize.  Its all totally alien.

”Hey, that’s a good sign. Sharp as a-oh fuck.”
See if I can’t patch this up real quick. If it’s beyond me, see if anyone hanging around the bore has any medical skill. Did I get a working spearhead, or is did I ruin it?
Is there any way I could get this bore moving? Either by my in-game action, or by pointing out that we should be moving on even if the guy who does that is inactive at the moment?

Spoiler: Harm (click to show/hide)
"Oh dear!"
I have to do something! I hope Drett won't be mad with me when he gets back...
Try to fix Harm's arm. Or at least stop the bleeding. Use the bore's medical room for a bonus. And remember, I have medical 1.

I should let the guys rest. Besides, I've been watching Vikkan do this for so long, I'm sure I can deal with it. And he's been driving for a while, I bet he's tired. He needs some time to relax.
Also, if the crisis is resolved, start drilling east till we get to Goldshore. I can always pester the Seekers on our way back.

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)
[19][17]
Harm gets some gauze and places it roughly over the injury, which does slow the bleeding a bit, but then Kara comes in and slaps the gauze out of his grasp.

"NO! We have to fight fire with fire!" she says before grabbing the half finished spear head and using it to further cut Harm's hand.

Vikkan tossed and turned and finally woke up after a nice, long sleep. It'd probably have been nicer hadn't he had some nightmare he forgot about his hand being torn from him. "I hope I haven't missed much. Kara?"

Back from vacation. Is it be drill time yet? Assist Kara with manual labor if necessary, no medical powers to be found in Vikkan.
Yeah, let's-a-go, drilling is good and fun and makes me feel like more of a man.

Go over our papers and contact info again on the way there.

If any time left, test my flammenvision on crystalfriend. What can it teach us?

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)
So you guys wanna drill straight through to goldshore instead of following the path? There's a fault and a river between you and it on a straight line. Wanna just barrel through?  Or you wanna plot a different path?

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: January 23, 2019, 03:34:30 pm »

Get the well meaning birb friend off me, then finish applying gauze.
Spoiler: Harm (click to show/hide)
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1549 on: January 23, 2019, 05:03:32 pm »

"Come now, quit struggling. I need to cut it cleanly so that the new one grows properly."

Hope that my single noodly birb arm was not enough to cause too much damage.

Hope that someone can convince me humans don't actually regrow their limbs.

Try once more to heal his arm, using the bonus from the bore's medical room. My luck will turn around eventually. I hope.

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 05:18:35 am by Parisbre56 »

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: January 23, 2019, 05:19:44 pm »

“Humans don’t regrow their arms…”
“Come to think of it, I don’t think Corven do either. “
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: January 23, 2019, 06:00:39 pm »

So you guys wanna drill straight through to goldshore instead of following the path? There's a fault and a river between you and it on a straight line. Wanna just barrel through?  Or you wanna plot a different path?

Can't we start by taking the path (hunter's pass) until we pass the fault and river, and then start digging the rest of the way? If yes, do that.

"Hey, what are you guys WHAT THE CRAP?!"

Try to restrain Kara/get her off of Harm if she doesn't come back to her senses (assuming this happens within earshot, if not then nevermind, nothing I can do).

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: January 23, 2019, 06:57:11 pm »

"Well, Nyw," -sniffle- "I'm probably not in a good place to," -sniffle- "be making decisions, what with the" -cough- "strain all this Diving and being sliced, diced, crushed, eaten, and rebuilt has put on me."

AsHul pauses and takes several deep, metallic breaths.
"But this is a local job and does not concern the Church at large - just the local body. I suspect we could, if negotiations fail, present a reasonable case to an arbiter in the Faith. And it wold be easier to gain a hearing if we retain something of value to the local church here.

If an Arbiter of the Faith determined that our contract was made in good faith from both parties and that the local church hadn't deliberately underrepresented the risks or had fairly compensated us, well, that would be that, wouldn't it?
I guess for now we'll just have to wait and see how the local church reacts to our situation."

Continue to foster calmness and resolve. Keep up with the main group, but don't move ahead yet.

Reflect on what AsHul knows of 'minor' relics and 'minor' communions. Is our experience in line with what was presented to us by the church, or does it seem that we're in a higher class of Communion? I know that bad rolls have played a part in the amount of trouble we've experienced, but is that enough to account for the challenges we've faced?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
Re: DIG...
« Reply #1553 on: January 23, 2019, 08:37:02 pm »

"Human anatomy is weird. Well, vertebrate anatomy in general."

Assist Kara in general.

Spoiler: Wiellste? (click to show/hide)

Missed me ya big dummy.

"Oh... oh dear. Kara, I don't think that making additional cuts will be helpful. Would you mind if I helped?
Adam! T-there's no need for physical interven-"

Wiellste objects too quietly for Adam to be able to hear her. She decides to get out of the way.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: January 24, 2019, 02:48:05 am »

"Hmm.  You raise an interesting point, Ashul.  I do still feel hesitant asking a favor of the greater church, after all they have done for us already, but if the local chapter does not compensate us fairly I will not hinder efforts to negotiate with their superiors.  That is, assuming such efforts are not conducted by you, personally; you are in no shape to negotiate, Ashul."

Stay with Ashul, until we reach the jump off point that sprawled Clate and Auft.  Don't enter the room, just stay with Ashul and be ready to disable him if necessary.  He's an emotional wreck of a bomb, right now...

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: January 24, 2019, 03:22:45 pm »

"These look rather neat, even though I haven't the faintest clue what's in them."

Grab two or three of these books at random. One's with "pretty" pictures in them get priority

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: January 24, 2019, 04:12:12 pm »

"The greater Church is full of Space Worms!" AsHul rants.

"No, that's ... think of it as a mutually beneficial arrangement rather than a favor. As long as they don't fill our brains with their psychic weevils. They get you with Crysanthimums and cave moss, that's how it spreads!"

AsHul shakes his steel and plastic head a bit.
"I don't see why I wouldn't be the perfect one to do the negotiating. Put those terrible cobblers in their place." He looks knowingly at Alex.

"I'll get this under control. Stupid dream world. Stupid dream world interior decorators. Why do we have to climb stairs? What's left of my feet hurt. "

Hotfire90

« Reply #1557 on: January 24, 2019, 05:03:06 pm »

"Perhaps the threat of calling in an Arbiter might be enough for them to let us leave with the core. If they did act maliciously, then they wouldn't want the church to find out about it."

Continue following.
Spoiler: Alex Wells (click to show/hide)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: January 25, 2019, 12:53:10 am »

"Why do you desire the core so, in any case?  The church will certainly be more willing to part with a larger sum of money than the core itself, and money possesses far more utility for us than a holy artifact."

Hotfire90

« Reply #1559 on: January 25, 2019, 12:02:30 pm »

"Money is good and all, but the core might be useful for us, and if isn't we can always sell it for a lot of fathoms. We're still going to get paid for completing the job, plus whatever danger bonus we get from our negotiations, and once we have our bonus payment secured, wouldn't you agree that we should also try to score the relic core?"
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 231