Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: If I roof over the embark, will trees still grow  (Read 859 times)

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
Re: If I roof over the embark, will trees still grow
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 01:19:38 am »

Iirc roofs won't stop them growing. The trees will just cause the roof to collapse. Building a floor (or any other building) on the ground level will prevent them from spawning on the built tiles though.

Some people have suggested using stockpiles instead of buildings. It seems to prevent saplings from growing into trees but sapplings/fungi/bushes seem to spawn just fine.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 01:22:02 am »

I was more asking because of the lack of sunlight.....

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 01:41:27 am »

The underground trees will start to show up instead of overworld trees. Of course only on soil and mudded stone, as may be expected, and only if you have breached any cavern.

EDIT: no, wait. Normal trees will still grow. The underground trees grow on tiles not exposed to sunlight previously. Light is sticky - once exposed it will remain.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 01:45:48 am by Saiko Kila »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 02:15:36 am »

Roofs will not prevent trees from spawning or growing in themselves, nor will trees cause roofs to collapse. However, headroom will limit how much trees can grow, and saplings need a headroom of two Z levels to mature. A single Z level headroom will not prevent saplings from spawning, just from maturing into trees.

Roofs will not cause the area beneath to it to turn to underground. Once an area has been exposed to the sky it will remain as as above ground with regards to the vegetation that can grow there.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 02:37:46 am »

Unless it was an unrelated bug or something, I had on at least two different above ground fortresses a recurring issue where parts of my roof would collapse and a tree would appear inside the hole.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 07:38:27 am »

There was a bug with DF crashing on branches growing into walls and ceilings, but I think it was fixed in the previous arc.

Early in 0.40.X trees were hostile entities that blasted away my roof by tossing logs through it.

There's also the bug with trees periodically causing cave-ins because DF doesn't realize they should have been remove when the ground was removed, so every time they grow they perform a Coyote & Road Runner impersonation (sans anvil). No tree or logs are left behind, though.

When (in terms of DF versions) did you see the tree attack the roof?

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 01:37:40 pm »

It was in 43.05 . I was trying to figure out how to set up archery towers and killing "rooms" right above my main entrance and sapplings in low traffic areas, namely the inner side of the walls would eventually just grow into full trees causing the floor above them to collapse.