Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spreading Knowledge  (Read 954 times)

EDog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Spreading Knowledge
« on: June 12, 2018, 09:14:13 pm »

Hey everyone,

I've been running my fort of Conflictgild since year 2, for about 35 years now. A peculiarity I've found about starting with such a short history is that no one else in the world has produced any visitors to come to my fort, and I'm guessing there are few if any scholars in other sites. I've put a few dwarves to work philosophising about funnels and levers, and have 6 books on the subjects, but I have no one to share my newfound knowledge with! So, my question is this: can I export my books to other sites or civs in any way? I can't send them to my trade depot or stockpile them in a bin, whether they're stored in the form of a scroll, quire or bound book (I made a platinum-bound one just to try it). Does anyone know a way to get my writing into a trader's wagon?

As an aside, is there any way to check up on the scholarly enterprises of other civs in the world?

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spreading Knowledge
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 01:54:32 pm »

As an aside, is there any way to check up on the scholarly enterprises of other civs in the world?
Export legends data with DFHack (Open-Legends, then ExportLegends all). Then view the data in the Legends Viewer utility. You can see all the original books in the world, and where they're stored.

Whether the civs you're trading with have books is basically random. It depends on whether the civs you're trading with happen to have well-staffed libraries.

If you want more books, consider raiding your neighbors. Necromancers are immortal, which gives them lots of time to write. But each civ you raid will, of course, go to war with you.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 02:59:37 am »

Be sure they are codices, not tools (like written scrolls). Be sure they are not owned by anyone. If still unavailable for trading, try to remove library, and remove the actual zone the library was assigned to (archive save first, in case it didn't work, to save time).

Still, the best way is to wait for actual visitors to come and steal. They should eventually start coming.

kaaarst

• Escaped Lunatic
  • jamming the skull through the brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 06:33:30 am »

If you fill your library with writing material, retire the fort, and return as an adventurer, you can write a lot of books very quickly. You can then transport these to other sites and shove them into people's hands. Unfortunately I don't think people actually read books when they're offsite, or in adventurer mode-- you have to wait for them to arrive as migrants to a new fortress.