Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Starting at year 2 a few questions...  (Read 2906 times)

Cunnah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Starting at year 2 a few questions...
« on: May 31, 2018, 05:51:03 pm »

Hi,

I'm currently thinking of starting a dwarf civ from year 2. On top of this I am going to limit the number of dwarfs I get as migrants to 20 with the idea of creating a capital city from the offspring of the initial dwarfs.

I do have a few questions however.

1. While in fortress mode do new sites get founded by other civs?
2. If not would it happen while the fortress is left and then returned (ie the 2 weeks that happen when returning to a site)?
3. Finally do family members inherit titles? In other words would I be able to found a dynasty in my fort?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starting at year 2 a few questions...
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 06:15:23 pm »

Hi,

I'm currently thinking of starting a dwarf civ from year 2. On top of this I am going to limit the number of dwarfs I get as migrants to 20 with the idea of creating a capital city from the offspring of the initial dwarfs.

I do have a few questions however.

1. While in fortress mode do new sites get founded by other civs?
2. If not would it happen while the fortress is left and then returned (ie the 2 weeks that happen when returning to a site)?
3. Finally do family members inherit titles? In other words would I be able to found a dynasty in my fort?
1) Yes (your own civ will found sites too, unless yours is the only site in the civ)
2) N/A (sites continue to be founded no matter what the player is doing)
3) Ye....maybe? Anyone else?

You might find that at year two, civ populations are so low that they take a while to start actually sending people out to found new sites.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 06:19:54 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Ninjabread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 06:21:30 pm »

1&2. I believe so, I've not directly seen it happen cause I wasn't really paying attention but I have seen sites on the c screen that are listed as being founded after and around the same time as my fortress

3. Yes, but if I remember rightly titles aren't necessarily passed perfectly linearly, it may skip some people who would logically be next in line. Also I don't think family is tracked further than first cousins, so you may lose your dynasty if they don't have any close relatives. It does also mean you can make a disturbingly tall and narrow family tree for that dynasty too, if you wanna go all Hapsburg on it.

Important note: Unless your civ is dying/dead, which is unlikely that early in history, chances are you'll not see any royalty with such a low population. I think you need at least 80 dwarves as well as significant produced and traded wealth, and plenty of gifts to the mountainhomes in order to persuade the monarch to come settle in your fortress. That population is also the trigger that starts the goblin sieges, if you're in a place that gets those.

Cunnah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 04:04:29 am »

Yeah I expect that it will take a while before I have a capital city but I thought it would be fun anyhow.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 11:55:35 am »

Becoming a capital may be easier than you think. You don't need dwarves to do so - long-term residents also count. I had Metropolis with Village amount of real dwarves, the rank was raised by (mostly) monster slayers.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 05:27:44 pm »

Becoming a capital may be easier than you think. You don't need dwarves to do so - long-term residents also count. I had Metropolis with Village amount of real dwarves, the rank was raised by (mostly) monster slayers.
You probably won't get many visitors in year 2. Pops just aren't high enough.

gentgeen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 12:32:10 am »

I often start year 5. At that age, it's entirely possible that the original king/queen will die without having any children, in which case a dwarf from your fort is likely to take the crown after having a spirited conversation with other local leaders. Unlike the baron, you won't have any say in who makes themselves monarch.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 04:23:30 am »

Entertainers do not respect pop caps, including the "strict" one. And if I read the OP correctly, there's no dead civs requirement, so visitors from other civs will be coming. Build a library and a tavern, and they'll start coming like flies to... candy.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 04:41:13 am »

Entertainers do not respect pop caps, including the "strict" one. And if I read the OP correctly, there's no dead civs requirement, so visitors from other civs will be coming. Build a library and a tavern, and they'll start coming like flies to... candy.
Visitors aren't subject to pop caps, but to the visitor cap. It may well be that petitioning isn't subject to pop caps either, which would make sense given that you have a say in the matter. Dead civs don't act differently with regards to visitors than other civs (apart from the obvious fact that you can't get visitors from your own civ, but that goes for a lot of cases of "struggling" civs as well).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2018, 04:57:49 am »

I meant, at year 2, the population of the outside world will be very low, so don't expect a huge wave of visitors.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2018, 05:13:39 am »

Visitors aren't subject to pop caps, but to the visitor cap. It may well be that petitioning isn't subject to pop caps either, which would make sense given that you have a say in the matter. Dead civs don't act differently with regards to visitors than other civs (apart from the obvious fact that you can't get visitors from your own civ, but that goes for a lot of cases of "struggling" civs as well).

I would require more science, but it seems to me that after hitting strict pop cap, only entertainers are asking to join my population, even though other classes are visiting, too. I'd like some more mercenaries, but they don't offer their services, they just hand around and they leave. Also monster slayers stopped asking. But not the poets, musicians and groupies.

Visitor cap is only for "Guests", once accepted this no longer applies. Since after accepting they increase actual population, and are still asking after strict cap has been acheved (and can be accepted), that means that none of the three caps are really limiting your fortress population if you don't want it.

But yeah, second year world population is probably very small. I don't even know if there are enough people to form a metropolis.

EDog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 09:59:51 pm »

I've been playing a fortress starting at year 2 lately and am now at year 28. I haven't had a single visitor this whole time, nor have there been any marriages (a married migrant couple arrived at one point, but they've only had one baby in about 20 years). You'll need to work out how to overcome these difficulties if you want a multi-generation fort. Good luck!

As an aside, if you set up a library you can probably become the most advanced scientific institution in the world in a couple of years. I've got lots of books on the workings of levers and funnels, I like it~

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2018, 02:57:15 am »

There are known methods for assisting the formation of marriages and for married (hetero) couples to procreate. Those methods work well for dead civs (assuming you're not rather unlucky so you don't get enough potential couples to get started due to age differences, sexual preferences, and personality quirks).

EDog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2018, 10:51:25 am »

There are known methods for assisting the formation of marriages and for married (hetero) couples to procreate. Those methods work well for dead civs (assuming you're not rather unlucky so you don't get enough potential couples to get started due to age differences, sexual preferences, and personality quirks).

Where are they? I've searched before, and the only methods I found were outdated and don't seem to work in the current version.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2018, 11:43:30 am »

They're in various threads, as the issue crops up fairly regularly...

Marriage:
- Check that they're willing to marry opposite gendered partners (I'm assuming you're aiming for children here). Dwarf Therapist provides great support in this department. Also check personality traits, as those who hate the thought of a family and never have felt a connection to any other living being are probably not good candidates.
- Make sure at least one knows the other (it's not always reciprocal!), and, obviously that it's not a grudge. This might not be required, but it's what I use.
- Make sure standard conditions apply, i.e. within age range, not siblings, and neither has been married before (and same race, for the [probably rather long] time being).
- Make an overlapping bedroom with one bed for each of them.
- Make a food and a booze stockpile of two tiles each (one is going to be used by an empty barrel) and make sure there's food and booze in them.
- Make a door to the room.
- Pull both subject into their bedroom by using a burrow covering their bedroom. I reuse that burrow when it's time for more children by adding them to the burrow again. I usually assist the process by painting the bedroom as a tavern and allocate this zone as a part of the fortress tavern. Note that cancellation spam can happen when you try to pull them in. Remove the spamming one from the burrow and readd him when the current hauling job is finished (before something else has been picked up). Also note that the buggers can refuse to cooperate and socialize/pray in the big facilities instead, and they can even temporarily make brakes from these to eat/drink/sleep in the bedroom and then return to the external activity.
- Once both of them have been pulled in, lock the door. If you're reasonably sure they're not going to desert and you've got freeloaders in the bedroom (on account of it being a tavern zone), remove the zone and open the door, and lock it again when they're alone. If you don't lock the door you're going to get more freeloaders and also cancellation spam when one of the subjects decides to top up one of the stockpiles, but repeatedly failing due to the burrow.
- Once they're locked in and alone, repaint the tavern zone and have them socialize until they're married, which usually takes less than a season. It can be successful after a longer time, but there's probably a stumble block somewhere.
- Once they're married, remove the tavern zone. Dorfs behave a bit like humans when the power goes: the only entertainment to be had is with each other... Usually the female is pregnant once they've both been idling in adjacent (or the same) tile and one of them moves, but stubborn ones have been observed to require multiple opportunities (I use a script of my own to check for pregnancy, but gui/gm-editor can also be used, or you may just give them a month, which should be more than enough).

Pregnancy:
- Pull the couple into their bedroom with a tavern zone (as above), get freeloaders out, lock the door, and remove the zone. Time for them to get down to baby making again...
Pages: [1] 2