Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18

Author Topic: Fallout 76  (Read 38128 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 76
« Reply #120 on: November 06, 2018, 05:37:12 am »

meanwhile, at bethesda studios:

"shit they suspect something, quick, add some more bloom to make the engine feel newer"

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 06, 2018, 05:44:34 am »

"shit they suspect something, quick, add some more bloom to make the engine feel newer"
"Increase the godrays!"

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 06, 2018, 05:52:40 am »

"Increase the godrays!"
"Lower the FOV!"
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 06, 2018, 06:30:33 am »

Spoiler: CHOO CHOO! (click to show/hide)

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 06, 2018, 06:36:12 am »

FUN
Is this a copypasta already? Because i wold copypasta this, but i don't know where and how.

This all looks like Clientside 2.   :D :o :P
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 06:38:55 am by MCreeper »
Rest of the sigs
The helicopter is rent apart by the collision, its steel unable to resist its inevitable reunion with the ground, and the meat within is smashed by the crumpling cockpit beyond any practical hope of recovery. What comes up, must come down again. Ore and ape, returned to mother planet's embrace.

Slax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 06, 2018, 06:54:12 am »

FUN
Is this a copypasta already? Because i wold copypasta this, but i don't know where and how.

This all looks like Clientside 2.   :D :o :P
Inspired by other pastas, definitely.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 07, 2018, 05:17:04 pm »

After playing a few of the beta sessions, thanks to the free keys that were passed out last week, I have a little more insight to the game.

All in all, it's not as bad as I expected. It's still not "Classic Fallout RPG", which is disappointing, but I do enjoy the way the story is told. Maybe because I have to actually look for holotapes, and I enjoy stories told in pieces that I have to put together like Dark Souls.

The VATS system is actually kind of nice, being in real time rather than slow-mo or frozen time. It works well, even though it gets weird when you shoot an enemy on your side overall of in front of you.

SPECIAL and perk cards are really different, compared to previous entries. I actually enjoy this system much more than the one in 4, and it works well for multiplayer. You can share perk cards with others depending on your charisma.

The building is pretty much copy paste from 4, so yeah.

All in all, not a game for everyone. It's fun, but not for people looking for a classic Fallout game.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 09, 2018, 12:20:08 am »

If by VATS being "kind of nice" you mean horrible, then yeah. It doesn't really have a place in any sort of pvp fps game, which is what part of this game is... or is trying to be. The new vats system is basically a standard mmo tab-targeting and lock on system to let you hit people without needing to aim. They tried making a game that was both fallout and a pvp open world survival game and botched both in my opinion.

Edit: This videos covers it pretty well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7umrS6owXs
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 08:03:11 pm by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 11, 2018, 03:24:08 am »

That fallout is a lie video is fairly Disingenuous/outrighted lied about most of its points, but vats is indeed really terrible. It wasnt great as say slo-mo or frozen but it atleast was usable.. in real time its honestly little but a button i can double press to get a quick autoaimed shot at near-touch range when im panicking. Maybe if you never played FPS's at all you could use it sometimes for longer shots.. but really.. enemies move in predictable ways, the gunplays fairly good(and thus you can just aim at stuffs heads and shoot them) and bullets travel at.. bullet speed so its not like you need to lead a target.

I am not convinced that fallout 76 is a good game, persay but i think i should at least point out some exagerations made in that video:
He basically claims there is no story at all, when in reality.. it's not that theres no story it's just, more subtle then usual? Don't get me wrong, i also think the games choice of telling story entirely through robots, holotapes and a overarching atmosphere is... a hard sell, one i really really did not buy into early on at all. Honestly i was seriously wondering if there was even a story and it wasnt just tons of sidequets with holotapes i barely listened to and consoles full of text i barely read.. but slowly, i started to pay more attention to some of it, and there definitly is some depth in those sidequests, with poinent notes that fit this bleak desolate world lacking any non-player humans. I really hated it at first, but i think i get the actual emotional impact they were going for now, with side story after side story of humanities last stand against the mutations and radiation slowly killing them all, leaving nothing but mutants behind as they all failed, every single one against it. Now as for the `main story`. There is one, Some main story spoilers:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I don't know if he just ignored the thing labeled as main quest in his Pip boy (its easy to miss if you never go to that part of the ui) or just was too low level to do the quests.. I honestly can't say if the main quest is long though, since i haven't finished it. This isn't justifying a short mainquest if it is but i do recall that a lot of fallout mainquest lines were actually.. fairly short. he points out the quest spam on his screen as being bad but at the same time doesnt mention you can easily just hide them in the pip boy until later too.. Oh and i wont spoil it but theres definitly like a giant quest chain thats basically the equivalent of like.. the assassins/thieves guild in a oblivion/skyrim that you can stumble onto by.. finding the right things.

He talks about one-shooting everything, while headshotting using the literal magnum and sniper rifle.. the two highest damaging per bullet and slowest shot ranged weapons... against enemies at or below his level... This to me.. is a good thing? why should everything be bullet sponges to headshots with a freaken sniper rifle? I can confirm this is true... in the below lvl 15 zones...  when i was roaming around fighiting lvl 20-30 enemies, at their level even with a sniper rifle at that level, modded to do as much damage as possible, with lots of perks that increased my damage.. it still took 3-4 shots for 1/2 of the enemies... and man, once you start fighting the 30+ lvl stuff.. ugh.... That stuff i was almost running out of bullets fighting. as for their damage of me, i agree that things do relatively little damage to you as long as you wear appropriate armor... until lvl 25+ stuff.. then they start chunking you unless you go full power armor, but of course you can't use it 24/7 persay as you do run out of cores... but i'll be honest and say with some auto-stiming stuff and full lvl 25 powerarmor, i was running around fighting lvl 30 stuff and it was having a hard time killing me even if i stood still.. of course my armor was taking durability hits the entire time and it was costing me stims at a very fast rate..  ...if you really hate life, go near a lvl 50 dragon. they are evil incarnate, shooting death balls at you at a distance, then hovering over your corpse, and with enough health it would take like... 20+ missiles to kill.

Hes right that there are lots of sorched though, they dominate the early area. they are basically red feral ghouls, and they dominate way too big of chunk of the world. The level requirements on weapons really suck though, and yeah selling stuff to traders is pointless, everythings like 1-3caps.

He mentions the modding of weapons being lesser then fallout 4.. but uh.. thats not true at all?  you just have to unlock all the plans for parts of mods... which you can do by finding the plans or by deassambling the same base-model of weapon for parts, it may be slightly annoying to sell 8 pistols to a trader for 16caps, but if you deassemble them for parts your probly unlocking 4-6 of that pistols mods from those 8 pistols, which you can then make in those model of pistols from then on....

The perks are different, but i dont really mind them? they don't feel that different to fallout4 perks really.. just you slowly acquire a bigger and bigger deck of perks to choose from, and can be changed at any time.

He got super mad about building, but.. he clearly had no idea how it worked.. Building is more annoying then fallout4 since you can't scrap stuff that you didnt place thats true.. and thus you cant just clear a area (and your actual building area isnt say.. the size of a town, its more the size of a large house complete with yard). Your building does dissappear when you log off.. but it reappears when you log back in in the exact same place unless someone built on top of it or something, hell even if i move from my world-shard to a friends-shard my house teleports with me to the new world without me doing anything, i'm not sure why he thinks you have to replace it? Maybe he never re-logged back near his building... further more you can save your house as a blueprint and then literally move away from your house, and teleport-place your camp (which auto collects the building), then just paste the blueprint to in effect, teleport your house anywhere in the world, at a cost of a few caps (cost increases over distance, but it was always a very low cost).

Teaming up with people is great, i played most my beta with people, i admit, unless you are playing entirely together the entire time your levels/quests will go apart, but you still come together for stuff at times, theres tons of quests everywhere after all.. theres also `events` that happen.. there are also daily quests but i'm not a huge fan.

The pvp is indeed very very tilted against starting a fight.. the they have to shoot you back to trigger the `duel` and until then you do very low damage.. (and if you do kill them you get a bounty.. which makes you fair game to everyone and rewards them).  He lied about there being no benfit at all, people do drop junk/parts on death.. which... isnt nothing persay (someone can be carrying quite a bit of useful scrap if they are like me and carry enough to fix my armor/gun as i go) so if it was easier to kill people i might concider doing it for that scrap alone tbh...  lots of scrap can take awhile to accumulate.

I can't comment on how easy the game is to hack, unsurprising i didnt see any hackers in the beta, but maybe it will quickly become a problem on release.

-Reached lvl 31 in the beta.

The game may be ho-hum at times, but i dont think it's a `lie` or a horrible game, its pretty much exactly as advertised.. a npc humanless fallout game with 20 person multiplayer shards that you can play with your friends. I can't recommend it at full price.. because as a single player experience it aint better and doesnt do anything new compared to fallout 4, but if you are super into fallout, and getting deep into lore and just want MORE even if its a bit costly, then its atleast the level of a standalone expansion to fallout 4 with a multilpayer feature added. After like a decade of making the same sort of game that might be boring, and nothing new, but its not... bad?
Otherwise, buy fallout 4 when it goes on sale?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 03:47:27 am by Rift »

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 11, 2018, 12:17:03 pm »

Yeah a lot of videos seem to be stirring up hate just because it gets them clicks. There's plenty WRONG with 76, but none of that has to do with gameplay, story, world building or what have you IMO...

Definitely not a 60$ game to me, but then again I bought No Man's Sky 2 days after it first released and played about 60 hours before I got bored. Maybe the style of 76 just happens to be what I enjoy.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 11, 2018, 02:10:50 pm »

I'd say with my experience in the BETA I'd give what's there so far a B-/B.  You can tell the effort is there but it misses a few points.  It will be interesting to see how they do expansions for it, which I think is what'll be the make it or break it point for the game.

There's a lot of potential for it though once the mod tools release and Bethesda sets up their private server hosting, once people get all of the sex animation mods out of their systems.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #131 on: November 11, 2018, 04:24:48 pm »

once people get all of the sex animation mods out of their systems.

So...you're saying sometime after the heat death of the universe, then?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 11, 2018, 05:39:41 pm »

once people get all of the sex animation mods out of their systems.

So...you're saying sometime after the heat death of the universe, then?

Sex, sex never changes...
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 12, 2018, 05:28:39 am »

Uhhhh, actually I'd say it's changed quite a bit during the last cent-- ohh yeah, you could say that about war, too. :P   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 12, 2018, 09:50:16 am »

War has changed. But war never changes.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18