Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 37

Author Topic: Conspiracy Theories: The Reread The Civility Clause Thread  (Read 46538 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

It's how the Kennedy strain propagates.

The reproduction habits of lizard people is poorly understood at best.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: Conspiracy Theories: The Kennedy Got Capped Thread
« Reply #226 on: May 31, 2018, 03:28:25 pm »

It’s obvious. Lizard people lay their eggs in the Bohemian Grove
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 01, 2018, 12:12:31 pm »

New topic: QAnon and our savior Trump. Cracked has an article making fun of it if you're unaware of the particulars.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 01, 2018, 12:21:36 pm »

New topic: QAnon and our savior Trump. Cracked has an article making fun of it if you're unaware of the particulars.

Here's my theory: QAnon is Eric Trump. It would explain both his alleged closeness to the Trump campaign and his persistent inability to get anything right.
EDIT: should probably explicitly /s this.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 12:27:02 pm by Trekkin »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 01, 2018, 12:51:17 pm »

They should remake Metal Wolf Chaos but about Trump.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 01, 2018, 02:28:50 pm »

QAnon is a LARP that's gotten out of hand. A LARP propagated by a time traveling Barron Trump.
He did the same thing back in 2000, under the guise of John Titor

El.
PSY.
KONGROO.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Conspiracy Theories: The Think of a number 1-10, It's Seven! Thread
« Reply #231 on: June 02, 2018, 12:46:14 am »

I would love to do proper experiments on this stuff

There's really nothing stopping you from doing so, you know, as long as there's no risk of harm to your volunteers and you don't need any special equipment or anything.
I just want to say something, and that's that while I will extensively debate this topic and delve further, I should note that I am a christian by faith so that has some bias to do with me;but that nothing involving 'telepathy' can be studied in a controlled setting like a scientific experiment without inherent risk to human life and psychological torment(likely resulting in a failed or experiment-gone-wrong, and PTSD for every one of the participants, if you wanted to be technical) based on the theory I inherently propose-not our conditional and age-old understanding of the phenomena. Sorry for not responding sooner, I have been busy.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 02, 2018, 12:52:25 am »

Telepathy does not require "negative stimulus" to test.

Take for instance, the psychometry experiment I laid out.  You just need a few psychic volunteers (20 would be good. try to get a good spread on gender, race, income, etc.), and a few more non-psychic volunteers (20 again would be good), then a few volunteers to help perform the experiment so that you can properly double-blind. (maybe 6 or so.)

The "imprints" could be warm fuzzy things, like bright sunny days surrounded by wildflowers, puppies, kittens, etc. It does not need to be traumatic, though I suppose a properly controlled followup, should you actually get a signal, would test if negative images/imprints are stronger than positive ones.

This is something a typical hobby scientist could do with a university student population as the sample source.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 02, 2018, 01:00:18 am »

Yeah, I'm honestly curious what you think the risk is here, x2yzh9. The archetypal telepathy/mindreading/remote viewing/ESP/clairvoyance experiment is to pair people off then have one of each pair look at randomly drawn Zener cards while their counterpart tries to determine which one they're seeing. It's like a more boring version of Go Fish, and easy enough that kids can and do run it for elementary school science fair projects. To the best of my knowledge nobody's ever gotten post-traumatic stress disorder from it, and if telepaths were at such a risk of negative side effects wouldn't they show up with noticeable frequency in the general population? If "three blue squiggles" can cause problems, one might expect the Monday at the office to be lethal.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 02, 2018, 01:05:47 am »

Telepathy does not require "negative stimulus" to test.

Take for instance, the psychometry experiment I laid out.  You just need a few psychic volunteers (20 would be good. try to get a good spread on gender, race, income, etc.), and a few more non-psychic volunteers (20 again would be good), then a few volunteers to help perform the experiment so that you can properly double-blind. (maybe 6 or so.)

The "imprints" could be warm fuzzy things, like bright sunny days surrounded by wildflowers, puppies, kittens, etc. It does not need to be traumatic, though I suppose a properly controlled followup, should you actually get a signal, would test if negative images/imprints are stronger than positive ones.

This is something a typical hobby scientist could do with a university student population as the sample source.
yes, but this fails to take into account basic human greed and satisfaction and selfishness;thus is my point. If we could all pause for a second, what is our first thoughts upon entering this world? It is that of hunger, of abandonment, and of seeking comfort. This is simple elementary psychology-and for a while, let's also consider that it does /not/ need to be traumatic. This goal can be attained, and is a very noble approach which I applaud.

However, let's remember history. For all of mankind's time, no less. What would our first mistake be? To take the first step into a rabbit hole of psychology which is going to be Freudian at first, and after the end of the experiment the psychology of the participants will be irreversibly changed, and so basically you're forcing people to either turn to one side of the other of elementary psychology, good or bad, by the inherent approach we have at this point in time in society itself, not saying humans can't be brought together that are innately good; that's just not true- altruism is a good pursuit, however.
Yeah, I'm honestly curious what you think the risk is here, x2yzh9. The archetypal telepathy/mindreading/remote viewing/ESP/clairvoyance experiment is to pair people off then have one of each pair look at randomly drawn Zener cards while their counterpart tries to determine which one they're seeing. It's like a more boring version of Go Fish, and easy enough that kids can and do run it for elementary school science fair projects. To the best of my knowledge nobody's ever gotten post-traumatic stress disorder from it, and if telepaths were at such a risk of negative side effects wouldn't they show up with noticeable frequency in the general population? If "three blue squiggles" can cause problems, one might expect the Monday at the office to be lethal.
Well, as I explained above I hope this helps. To further explain;artificially engineering this skill or ability(which is part of the thesis I hypothesize) would be immoral, as anyone that naturally develops a affinity for this type of stuff would have problems along the way, I think-imagine it as a form of adolescent puberty, but possible to happen at any point in life. Motor neurons would have to be rewired over time naturally or through engineered means through a society, and not just that, the whole science of the entire brain itself. It would change things at an atomic level-hence my 'playing god' allegation and that engineered telepathy would be like what we did in the 1950's with the manhattan project. And would likely result in similar things, if we had no need to develop a telepathic ability then we would not likely see bad results come from it, is what I posit. If we had developed nuclear science through a natural historical project, trekkin, do you think we would have ever developed the subsequent weapons to harness these nuclear sciences, or at the least, ever used them, as our history says we have done at least twice with devastating(naturally apparent) results even in today's society?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 02, 2018, 01:40:49 am »

Possible ethical concerns, (such as giving thought to the idea that it could "Flip a switch" on a volunteer and suddenly the poor sod cant stop experiencing imprints on random items he comes into contact with) is why you pick candidates that are:

1) volunteers
2) Self-identify as a target group
3) Ask them to sign the appropriate waver for the experiment

No experiment is completely without risk to the participants. (there is always the risk of a freak occurrence.) The goal is to make it as close to without risk as is possible.  In this case, many prior experiments have returned a null result.  Assuming all the prior experiments were properly constructed, the feature being tested will be just as null-- meaning the risk to the participants is as close to zero as you can possibly get. I admit that this is biased of the experimenter to assert; They need to be willing to accept a positive result-- but the reality is that all properly conducted testing prior has returned a null result. It is quite likely that the result will likewise be null from this experiment's data.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 02, 2018, 01:52:47 am »

As a corollary to that, if the procedure you described upthread were really that likely to lead to psychic nuclear weapons, it's fair to ask why they have not been developed long ago. You posited that someone may become telepathic by convincing themselves that it is possible, having someone else's method of doing mathematics described to them, and then attempting to read that person's mind -- and that within "a few years" nearly everyone would be able to do so. Yet, over the course of literal millennia of education in mathematics, not a single pupil out of millions (most of them admittedly more recent) has ever desperately tried to read their classmate's mind or their instructor's mind in the midst of an exam and spontaneously developed the ability to manifest psychic nuclear weapons*. I guarantee you many have tried telepathy out of desperation, along with fervent prayer and random guessing. We have had access to literally everything you claim we need and a desire to read minds (or explode them) for many generations, and yet it has never happened.

So what is it about controlled experimentation that makes it more likely to lead to catastrophe than the method you posited?

*EDIT: Or if they have, they have never once used them.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 01:54:59 am by Trekkin »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 02, 2018, 01:55:15 am »

x2yzh9, you're trying to show that any effect - any whatsoever - exists, against all everyday and scientific evidence to the contrary.
It's not testing a bomb to see if it can go off. It's testing a stick to see if can have just one end.
The only thing at risk here is your pet 'theory' getting demolished. Be honest with yourself and recognize that you just don't want to prove yourself wrong, instead of inventing horrible consequences of following through with it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 02, 2018, 04:32:33 am »

It's not testing a bomb to see if it can go off. It's testing a stick to see if it can have just one end.

In the stone age, before advancements in glassblowing and the invention of the Klein bottle, there was only the Klein stick.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 02, 2018, 04:35:26 am »

It's not testing a bomb to see if it can go off. It's testing a stick to see if it can have just one end.

In the stone age, before advancements in glassblowing and the invention of the Klein bottle, there was only the Klein stick.

Irrelevent but it reminds me that in the book "Belgarath the Sorcerer" one of the characters, Beldin, gives children he has to mind a one ended stick to keep them amused.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 37