Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The SCP foundation, Site B12  (Read 2021 times)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
The SCP foundation, Site B12
« on: May 11, 2018, 10:06:47 am »

SCP foundation, site B12, Discussion room.
The SCP foundation is a wiki based around writing and compiling Creepypastas and/or paranormal entities. I have been a fan of the site for a long time, and I am starting this thread so that others may find it, as it has prived to be an extremely interesting read, and so as to create discussion on some of the more confusing or debateable entries.

The SCP foundation homepage.

The Volgun, a youtuber who reads SCP articles out loud, in podcast-esque format.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 10:43:29 am by Imic »
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
Re: The SCP foundation, Site B12
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 12:05:00 pm »

I love the first series of SCP, but they seem to drop off further and further with each batch. There are so many stories in which the writer felt compelled to break the mystery near the very end, and just as many boring "ULTRA DEADLY MEGAKETER!!!" SCPs offering nothing new or interesting.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 12:18:24 pm »

A lot of the "ultra deadly megaketer" SCPs in later series also reflect a shift in the narrative use of D-class personnel from a means to show how deadly something was to a way to cheaply drive up body count and add gorn, and it comes off as more than a little callous. You get the sense you could hand any of the named researchers a pencil and the first thing they'd do is stab a score of D-class personnel in the jugular with it and declare it Keter-class on the basis that it killed twenty people when first discovered.

EDIT: And then give everyone who has ever used a pencil massive doses of amnestics, destroy all graphite on the planet and Montauk anyone who tries to draw with charcoal. So much of it is just shadowy conspiracy power trip fantasy now.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 12:20:42 pm by Trekkin »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 12:35:48 pm »

Yeah, the site was only good back when they were making serious, suspensful SCPs like a brooding, angry guy who's so good at swordfighting he can beat anyone and he's immortal and he can summon swords out of thin air so you can never beat him.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 12:37:26 pm by penguinofhonor »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 12:48:28 pm »

Yeah, the site was only good back when they were making serious, suspensful SCPs like a brooding, angry guy who's so good at swordfighting he can beat anyone and he's immortal and he can summon swords out of thin air so you can never beat him.

"I dont like the late generations"
"ah, clearly you're advocating for the original version of one of the very first articles put on the site which only escaped being nuked like most of the other originals because its been rewritten about six times"
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 12:49:45 pm »

We should make bay 12 lore scps, like a twitch raid, but with cleverly written, mildly creepy passages about terrors that are superb references, so well hidden that you only know it is a reference to something if you are one of us

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 12:55:02 pm »

I feel that would kind of break the nature of the site outside of a few SCP-Js. I mean, it seems relatively harmless, but imagine if someone wrote all the new DF wiki pages in secret reference to something not even related to it. It would just seem weird and out of place.

Speaking of writers taking things too strong, this is a decent example, IMO. It starts off decently, then explains more and more menial details and then goes totally over the top and explains everything it possibly can in full detail. Thankfully it strays away from going "and the source of the plague was found to be X all along!".
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 12:56:47 pm by George_Chickens »
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 01:03:03 pm »

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-902

This has always been one of my favourites conversely, because it doesn’t belabour the point at all.
SCP documents should be telling a story, rather than being just a dry scientific report on an anomalous object.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 01:07:50 pm »

[Redacted]
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 03:20:06 pm »

And probably for reasons related to the rapid increase in Thaumiel-class SCPs in later series -- which also, I think, speaks to the shift in focus from the SCPs themselves to the SCP Foundation.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 07:48:56 pm »

PTW
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2018, 01:13:52 am »

I personally find this one, which used to a library, quite interesting.
http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-2602
It was self referential, bit made sense overall, although it should be noted that it used to be a library. It has a few odd things, like an underground tunnel system, and straps, but in the end, it used to be a library, so it's all quite mundane. Did I mention it used to be a library?
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2018, 09:49:55 am »

All known online references to SCP-2602 and the fact that it used to be a library have been removed.

I personally find this one, which used to a library, quite interesting.
http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-2602
It was self referential, bit made sense overall, although it should be noted that it used to be a library. It has a few odd things, like an underground tunnel system, and straps, but in the end, it used to be a library, so it's all quite mundane. Did I mention it used to be a library?

Well, not anymore.....

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2018, 10:33:20 am »

There was one I enjoyed reading which was something like a portal to another plane with empty cities and shadowy figures moving about. Something about people sent there felt like something was getting closer every time they visited or somesuch. Can't remember which number it was in particular though, sound familiar to anyone?
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2018, 10:38:09 am »

That sounds like SCP-093 to me.
Pages: [1] 2