Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My whole fortress is broken again  (Read 2642 times)

CyberianK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My whole fortress is broken again
« on: April 20, 2018, 01:15:31 pm »

I am totally depressed again with this game. Somehow all my fortresses break down totally.
A while ago I posted in this thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=170098.0
that my forts in the past all died FPS death.

Following some of the advice in that thread I am now fine on the FPS front. I have few animals only 50 dwarfs, 2x2 embark, no flowing water, disabled temperature and sparse vegatation. I am 6 years in at about 70-80 FPS most of the time. Current game is 44.09 x64 manual install only added utilities are DFHack and Spacefox tileset.  But now another issue that I always had in all of my previous forts has returned and what lead me to stop playing Dwarf Fortress in the past.

Somehow the whole pathfinding in my fort is breaking down.

Like I have a finished goods stockpile with many bone crafts and gems right next to my trade depot.
But I somehow can't manually mark them for Trade with Shift+T

Nor can I select them manually for Move for trade inside the Trade Depot the crafts just aren't available not even in All category.

there should be tons of crafts between those distances but rhere aren't

Then I have 9 minecarts filled with Magma near the magma sea:

I deleted the stockpile below them. They should be moved to a stockpile near the surface. And I assigned one to a hauling route but nothing is happening for months. The area is clearly pathable I even dug out the second access to the upper left but this did not help.

Then also I occasionally have workshoüps that can't access materials that are available. I have no idea its not that I am a noob I have played the game for hundreds of hours, read the wiki for ages and I don't have locked doors or something which is to blame or too many items I regularly smash with atomsmasher not did I do strange pathing sins. This game does not like me.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 01:17:04 pm by CyberianK »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: My whole fortress is broken again
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 01:20:37 pm »

Sounds like a noble prohibited some of the goods in the bins that those goods reside in. At least that's what it usually is for me.

Hit [m] in the trade depot screen to include mandate-restricted items.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 03:20:37 pm »

Items in bins are not listed individually in the trade depot goods screen--you need to select and move the whole bin (which, by default, won't appear if any item in the bin would violate a mandate). Additionally, bins are bugged in that every store item in bin job blocks access to all other items in the bin until the job is complete. That bug tends to cause many workshop cancellations when all your supplies are stored in one bin.

As for the magma carts, magma sets tiles to injuriously high temperatures. With temperature calculations disabled, those tiles will never cool down, and your dwarves won't set foot in those tiles while they're hot. Enabling temperature calculations should resolve the problem quickly.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 05:05:36 am »

The safest thing to do is to avoid using both bins and barrels.  This will solve a really ridiculous number of problems.  At first that sounds like crazy advice, but you really don't need them   Often people will stockpile years and years of food.  Or they will make 10x more items than they need.  I don't even use QSPs and I have absolutely no trouble without containers.  It's slightly less efficient when hauling large amounts of goods, but the biggest problem I have in my fortresses is unemployment anyway.   If you *do* decide to use containers then you really need to understand all the bugs and anti-features.  You also need to really micro manage your stockpiles because a general stockpile with bins and barrels is a recipe for the problem you are running into.

CyberianK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 05:33:38 am »

Yeah I was aware of problems with bins. Unfortunately I did not look that indeed one of the nobles had a ban on exporting bins :)
In my world dwarven civilisation and elven one have been killed by goblins and beasts so I am mountainhome.
Also thanks @Loci it was disabled temperature with my magma minecarts.

With magma smelter I can now reduce my stockpiles and autodump/automelt the useless stuff away. I am reducing bins and pots everywhere. Only thing I still use them for is drinks and ammo.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 10:15:54 am »

Someone better pick up that phone.

Because I called it.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 11:02:04 am »

Because I called it.
Technically, you said it was the goods in the bins. I don't think I've ever seen an actual ban on bins before. Might be time to melt something besides items...

At least you can trade the contents of a bin separately, though. Imagine if it was barrels or bags.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 11:04:09 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 11:58:48 am »

Because I called it.
Technically, you said it was the goods in the bins. I don't think I've ever seen an actual ban on bins before. Might be time to melt something besides items...

At least you can trade the contents of a bin separately, though. Imagine if it was barrels or bags.

That's fair.

Also yeah I enjoy rampant overproduction of valuable goods, so I use bins. But if you are going for efficiency and making only as much as you need, bins are not needed in the least.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 01:51:11 am »

BTW, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but ammo in bins is basically broken.  There is contention on bins, but also there are problems moving ammo from bins to quivers unless they are made of the same material.  If you're really careful you can make them work, but even when I've been very careful I always get tripped up eventually (some migrant brings in different bolts, or I stupidly don't destroy all the bolts on the battlefield and they wind up in a quiver somehow).

I came up with a very strange workaround, though.  I build a forge near where I station my marksdwarf.  Then I build ammo on demand.  I think it's kind of cool to have some non-military dwarfs with important military functions and to have the "war machine" grind into action when war breaks out.  But... I should warn you... the limits on the manager for ammo is broken so you will have to play it by ear to figure out what the maximum should be (Unlike thread, which is also broken -- you have to multiply the max by 33 -- the ratio does not seem to be consistent).

And yes... like you, I tire of these kinds of bugs.  I think the key is to believe that you *can* do most things, but that the most obvious ways is often unworkable.  Investigating how to make something work is strangely entertaining in its own right...

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 02:02:48 am »

Who needs bins when you have several 100x100 stockpiles?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 12:34:57 pm »

Arrows! Fresh-baked Arrows and bolts! Still hot from the oven, get yer bolts and arrows! Slay yer enemies with fresh arrows!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 02:15:40 pm »

But... I should warn you... the limits on the manager for ammo is broken so you will have to play it by ear to figure out what the maximum should be (Unlike thread, which is also broken -- you have to multiply the max by 33 -- the ratio does not seem to be consistent).
It's not broken. The manager checks the number of available items. That means it's counting the number of bolts that are not: In someone's inventory, tasked, in a tasked container, owned/assigned, inaccessible, or forbidden.

What that means is that the condition should be checking the max amount of non-binned bolts you want stockpiled in reserve (i.e., not equipped.) Bolts in bins won't be counted reliably (due to bin tasking,) so they might as well be nonexistent to the manager as it decides it needs to order some more. Yet worse, dwarves are very specific on bolt assignment. If multiple dwarves want bolts from the same bin, they'll each have to wait their turn as they spam "equipment mismatch". That's on top of the issue where they just forget the bin contents exist, regardless.

Dwarves require 25 bolts to refill their quiver. That means having 250 stockpiled bolts is enough for one full squad to reload simultaneously. You can get away with maybe 150 per squad if you can produce bolts quickly enough, which covers 60% of your marksdwarves reloading at the same time.

You may also want to produce training bolts. Quivers were changed to allow a full 25 training bolts on top of the combat bolts. Wood/bone bolts are easy to produce, and training isn't a high priority. 50 stockpiled wood/bone bolts per squad should be sufficient, since your dwarves are unlikely to use the range all at once. I find these bolts are also sufficient for hunting, so I add some extra bolts for hunters. It takes forever to kill stuff, but it's good training.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 02:23:40 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 05:44:37 pm »

It's been a while since I did it, but the last time I used the manager to build bolts the number of "available bolts" was not related at all to the actual number of bolts.  IIRC, it was off by a factor of about 8.  It wasn't equal to the size of a batch of bolts, nor the amount that would fit in a quiver, nor anything else I could find.  And it changed over time even though all the bolts were available.  I'll try again... possibly it has been fixed, or there was something buggy with my previous setup.

redivider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 08:14:44 pm »

But... I should warn you... the limits on the manager for ammo is broken so you will have to play it by ear to figure out what the maximum should be (Unlike thread, which is also broken -- you have to multiply the max by 33 -- the ratio does not seem to be consistent).
It's not broken. The manager checks the number of available items. That means it's counting the number of bolts that are not: In someone's inventory, tasked, in a tasked container, owned/assigned, inaccessible, or forbidden.

What that means is that the condition should be checking the max amount of non-binned bolts you want stockpiled in reserve (i.e., not equipped.) Bolts in bins won't be counted reliably (due to bin tasking,) so they might as well be nonexistent to the manager as it decides it needs to order some more. Yet worse, dwarves are very specific on bolt assignment. If multiple dwarves want bolts from the same bin, they'll each have to wait their turn as they spam "equipment mismatch". That's on top of the issue where they just forget the bin contents exist, regardless.

Dwarves require 25 bolts to refill their quiver. That means having 250 stockpiled bolts is enough for one full squad to reload simultaneously. You can get away with maybe 150 per squad if you can produce bolts quickly enough, which covers 60% of your marksdwarves reloading at the same time.

You may also want to produce training bolts. Quivers were changed to allow a full 25 training bolts on top of the combat bolts. Wood/bone bolts are easy to produce, and training isn't a high priority. 50 stockpiled wood/bone bolts per squad should be sufficient, since your dwarves are unlikely to use the range all at once. I find these bolts are also sufficient for hunting, so I add some extra bolts for hunters. It takes forever to kill stuff, but it's good training.

Training bolts are COMPLETELY bugged

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2018, 02:25:18 am »

Again it's been a while, so apologies if this is wrong info, but I think the training bolt problem is the same as the bolt material problem.  If you don't have your dwarfs assigned to use that ammo (either material or type) then they can't use ammo in that quiver.  Note that training bolts cause a problem because they can only be used for training so if you get a real enemy you will automatically have a type mismatch.  This is not a huge problem most of the time because they can swap them out.  However, if you are using bins for ammo, then you can't swap the ammo out of the quiver.  If they then add a different material or type of ammo to the quiver, then they can not shoot from that quiver (because some of the ammo is not allowed).  If you have bins *and* mixed quivers, then that quiver can *never* be used for shooting.  But of course, the dwarf doesn't realise this and equips it anyway.  There are two fixes: never use bins for ammo or never use multiple types and material for ammo.  However, even if you don't use bins, if you have training bolts then the dwarfs have to empty their quivers when the real enemy comes, so I tend not to use training bolts.  I think this explains why some people can use training bolts and don't see any bugs, though.
Pages: [1] 2