Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Ruin: Cooperative RTD *Combat Test* Finished. Feedback welcome  (Read 6829 times)

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Ruin: Cooperative RTD *Combat Test* (5/3+)
« Reply #90 on: May 08, 2018, 06:24:31 pm »

Turn 6

Turns

Good Guys

Pre Movement
Sub: Move up one row

Bonus
Bandit: dodge [1]: You prepare to dodge, but your frozen muscles are extremely sluggish, you just made yourself an easier target (+1 to attacks against you until next turn)
Parry [1]: You bring your arms up to mitigate damage to your vitals, but your Proprioception is completely off, and you raise your arms above your head, exposing your chest and head.
(+20 damage to next attack against you)

Winters: Heal self [6]: You grab your left leg and snap it back into position. It hurt like the dickens, but at least it is functional now. (+40 health)
Heal self [4] You take care of your other minor wounds, preventing furthur damage. (+20 health)

Attacks
Sub 2: Powershot head (2-1) = [2]: You miss again. You are really bad at this whole archery thing.

Robbin: Normal shot head [4]: (40-10) = 30 damage! You remember your training, and let loose another shaft. It buries itself in the bear's neck. The bear's head drops as the muscles in its neck start to give out. But it is not done yet.
Normal shot head [5]: (80-10) = 70 damage! Another arrow smacks into the beast's neck. It lets out a quiet roar, signaling that it's life was almost gone. Anything more will finish it.
Level up! Fully Healed

Post Movement
none

Bad Guys

Movement
none

Attacks
Bite the Bandit [6]: 380 damage! The werebear looks at the helpless archer without remorse, and simply chomps down on him. A crunch is heard as the bandit's back is broken, and his bloody body is tossed aside.
The Bandit is dead

Post Movement
move to row 5, engage with Robbin Hood

Battlefield
Code: [Select]
Row 9:
Row 8:
Row 7: Sub (archer)
Row 6:
Row 5: [Robbin (archer), werebear]
Row 4:
Row 3: Winters (warrior),  Zeke (mage)
Row 2:
Row 1: Bandit (archer)

Status

Good Guys
Spoiler: Subject 2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cpt. Winters 2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ezekial Ruyn 2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Bandit (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Robin Hood (click to show/hide)
Bad Guys

WereBear
Head: 65/400
Body: 1000/1000
Front Left Leg: 0/300
Front Right Leg: 260/300
Back Left Leg: 300/300
Back Right Leg: 300/300

To Kill: Destroy the Head or the Body
To Immobalize: Destroy 2 legs

Spoiler: abilities (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  attacks (click to show/hide)

That was extraordinarily bad luck
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2018, 06:26:58 pm »

Sub
Normal shoot the head
Again
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 08, 2018, 06:27:22 pm »

You're too close
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2018, 06:27:50 pm »

There.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2018, 06:32:26 pm »

Winters
Move to row 5.

Heres to hoping RNG is merciful
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2018, 07:37:12 pm »

Do you engage with the bear?

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 08, 2018, 08:15:30 pm »

yes.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

MonkeyMarkMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 09, 2018, 12:20:59 am »

Robbin Hood
1.Disengage
2.Move to 4
Run away!
My Forum game(s):
Hahaha, ya right

Any future games will be simpler in nature, I have a bad habit of biting off more than I can chew. Also hoping for more players in them.

I have Discord for my games now(not necessary to play, tho might be easier to contact me): https://discord.gg/DuaARAZ

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 09, 2018, 06:32:18 pm »

Turn 7

Turns

Good Guys

Pre Movement
Winters: Move to row 5, engage with the bear.

Robbin: disengage, move to 4

Bonus
none

Attacks
Sub: Normal Shot Head [6]: (120 - 10) = 110 damage! You slap yourself in your frozen face, and wake up. You recognize the danger, but realize you can put an end to it. You concentrate, and let fly one last arrow. It flies into the bear's right eye, and disappears inside its skull. The bear stands up reflexively, before crashing down. You did it! The battle was won!
Level up! Fully Healed
The werebear is dead!

Battlefield
Code: [Select]
Row 9:
Row 8:
Row 7: Sub (archer)
Row 6:
Row 5: Robbin (archer), Winters (warrior)
Row 4:
Row 3: Zeke (mage)
Row 2:
Row 1: Bandit (archer)

Status

Good Guys
Spoiler: Subject 2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cpt. Winters 2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ezekial Ruyn 2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Bandit (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Robin Hood (click to show/hide)
Bad Guys

WereBear
Head: 0/400
Body: 1000/1000
Front Left Leg: 0/300
Front Right Leg: 260/300
Back Left Leg: 300/300
Back Right Leg: 300/300

To Kill: Destroy the Head or the Body
To Immobalize: Destroy 2 legs

Spoiler: abilities (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  attacks (click to show/hide)

Alright, the boss is dead. That concludes the combat test. I want to thank everybody who participated, and I am open to feedback.

Some definite changes:
-Add Ambush as a movement option
-rework attacks so that healing and other not-really-attacks still work with it.
-buff the health of everything so that things live longer.
-Try to work in terrain bonuses eg. bonuses or detriments for being on a specific row.

Apart from Combat, I feel that this test went well enough for me to start working on a full game. I want to make a detailed world for the party to explore d&d style, and every character created can be merged into the world in meaningful ways. So your characters you create can fill the world I'm making. You give your character a cool hometown with an interesting culture? Bam! It's now a place in the world. That's my hope at the very least.

Outside of battle, the group will mostly be driven by roleplaying, with you guys choosing where to go. If you don't particularly like roleplaying, you can just hop out and hop back in when a battle starts. There will be a main storyline, but I hope to keep the reigns pretty loose as far as that goes.

If you have any comments, questions, concerns, please post it here. I will try to incorporate anything I think will work. And once again, thanks for playing.

EDIT: Here's a link to a google doc that should show the progress I'm making in case you are interested in following along. I'll post a link in here once the real game starts.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 07:08:32 pm by origamiscienceguy »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ruin: Cooperative RTD *Combat Test* Finished. Feedback welcome
« Reply #99 on: May 09, 2018, 07:16:45 pm »

I'll write something up for Sub's place soon. Think Dwemer ruins, from Skyrim.

Will there be subclasses? Y'know, so we can have the various ways to twist the classes into different niches made into something official.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 09, 2018, 07:49:14 pm »

I am thinking that any character can use a skill for any class, just with a higher price.

Also, I want to make it clear that this will take a while. A couple of weeks.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 09, 2018, 08:00:24 pm »

I am thinking that any character can use a skill for any class, just with a higher price.
If you reached a certain threshold of having some other class's abilities, could it change your main class?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 10, 2018, 08:37:06 pm »

Sub's story and area:

There's plenty of Apertures throughout the multiverse. That's kind of the point of the Perpetual Testing Initiative, to be frank.
Sub is from one of the smaller, quieter ones - if there are any others. There's not "Aperture Science" proper, really, just his own family - his dad, Doug, his sister, Chell, himself, and, of course, his moderately-crazy uncle Cave (and, occasionally, his wife Caroline).
They never made a portal gun.
They stole dozens of them, though. From other universes.
What they did make was a device that allowed for brief excursions into other worlds. This was used, of course, to troll a variety of other Apertures throughout the multiverse, and to steal random equipment. However, said device had some oddities. Specifically, it "took away" some quality of a person while they were "elsewhere" - for example, Chell lost her voice while across, while Sub lost his name ("Sub" is just a shortened version of "Subject 2"; Subject 1 was Chell).
This wasn't a problem.
The problem was that this time, Sub got stuck.
It's not clear why. But he did.

Sub's current location is known as "The Hollow Mountain", an old stronghold of a long-forgotten race. It really is a hollowed-out mountain, but it's filled with bronze-like pipes and mechanisms, and holds complex clockwork within its walls controling the whole area.
It looks kinda like an Aperture, if the Dwemer built it.
The place doesn't hold any fauna proper (well, excluding Sub), but is maintained and protected by a veritable army of magic-powered robots. Sub has, since his arrival, figured out what makes these robots tick, and is thus the undisputed ruler of the Mountain. He lives in an area that he had the robots convert to a garden, lit with artificial sunlight, where he grows the food he needs.
He doesn't go out much, and the only things that most people know about him is through adventurers, but the reputation he's gotten is that he spends most of his time working with the machines, is helpful if asked respectively, and does not tolerate thieves.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2018, 02:07:59 pm »

If you reached a certain threshold of having some other class's abilities, could it change your main class?
After some more thought, I decided to make attacks based on weapons, not classes. Any character can equip any weapon. Classes just give bonuses to specific fighting styles (warriors are better at melee attacks, mages better at magic attacks, etc.) Switching between weapons mid-battle takes a movement action.
Sub's story and area:
That could work with the world, but I would prefer if you waited until you know the world before making a full backstory. I also want characters' backstories to be confidential to the other players at the start. Just to spice things up.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2018, 02:13:55 pm »

Sub's story and area:
That could work with the world, but I would prefer if you waited until you know the world before making a full backstory. I also want characters' backstories to be confidential to the other players at the start. Just to spice things up.
Ah. :/
Sorry. I thought it was for worldbuilding. I think I'd make a new character for the game proper, anyway, though.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8