Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 101

Author Topic: What are you currently playing?  (Read 188283 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently playing?
« Reply #780 on: December 07, 2019, 10:10:43 pm »

Link wants to hide in whichever spot he can get to first. The tree is 180 feet away, while the boulder is only half that distance. But the boulder is up a steep hill, while the tree is downhill from where Link stands. Link can run downhill three times as fast as he can run uphill, but it will take him 60 feet to get up to full speed. Until then, he can only cover one and a half times as much ground running downhill as running up. Which can he reach first, the boulder or the tree?

If I were the age this book was aimed at I would already have ample reason to skip this puzzle, but the solution takes it even further.

Spoiler: The solution (click to show/hide)

...Are you sure about that?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 10:12:47 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: December 07, 2019, 10:24:15 pm »

You are correct, my first solution was flawed. My first step was along these lines: if you move 60 feet towards the boulder, 1.5 * 60 = 90ft, therefore moving 60ft towards the boulder is equal to moving 90ft towards the tree.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: December 08, 2019, 02:41:31 am »

So... what happens after he hides behind the tree?  :D
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: December 08, 2019, 09:25:34 am »

decided to try again with a Nuzlocke challenge but in Pokemon Uranium (game has an option for that when making a new save, pretty neat). currently survived gym 2 but have lost two pokemon already (i bet there were options to evade at some point, just didnt properly planned my strategies)

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: December 08, 2019, 10:40:48 am »

Fire Emblem Fates
First impressions:
1. WTF, why is everyone borderline chibi?
2. WTF, why there are no mid-chapter saves again?
3. WTF, why i'm getting humilated at first non-tutorial level?
4. WTF, why i can't restart the chapter without quitting it first?
5. WTF, why settings revert to default after quiting or game over? At least they saved on finishing the chapter.
6. Rinkah xD. Double xD for name.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 11:33:02 am by MCreeper »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: December 09, 2019, 11:38:22 am »

Bought Remnant From The Ashes while it was on sale.

I get why people call this a Souls-like.

It's about the same polish level as Absolver though. A game very inspired by Dark Souls but that's also quite clearly indie, that fumbles and gropes its way through the themes, execution and gameplay. It's clear in the first 10 seconds after the publisher and developer splash screens that it's an indie title just from how it present itself.

Remnant isn't bad, it's just thin in most places. The story is really trying to be vague like Dark Souls but it has none of the artistic refinement of that series. It thinks by being vague it's being mysterious, but it's really just a bunch of themes smooshed together. Post apocalypse, the Bioshock intro, creepy tree growths, demons, people going crazy. They even went the route of putting 99% of the world lore in their item descriptions, but only about half of them are even relevant and the other half are basically "OMG, aren't things ccrrraaaazzzzzzyyyyy?!?!"

I started it on Hard and have played solo through the first boss.

The three reasons I think this game has a Dark Souls level of challenge is:

-There is no shooting from the hip. You're either staring down a reticule or you're not shooting a gun. This slows down gameplay SO MUCH, and leaves you vulnerable to the mass amounts of enemy projectiles so you're constantly aiming down sights, dodging, aiming down sights, dodging.....ad infinitum. There is no running and dealing damage short of ONE melee attack move. If you can't "stand and deliver" you're not hurting stuff. You could argue Dark Souls has a same philosophy but there's options for moving and attacking in that game that are absent here, and most importantly, average enemies give you the time and space to breathe. Remnant's enemies do not. They get up on you and in your grill and shoot stuff at you and swoop around so there's no hiding and making space to fight is the real challenge, which you solve in most cases by just repeatedly backing up.

-Your class choice is very important to how you play, or at least it feels so to me. Close, mid or long range classes, and what they don't tell you is your damage fall off directly relates to your choice. And then they design enemies so that no one class has it the easiest. If you're a close range brawler, they will throw enemies at you that attack from range and teleport away as soon as you get close. If you're a long range guy, they will swamp you with hordes of little melee shits that never give you a chance to get some range and attack. And if you're mid, you have to maintain that medium range for best damage (although IMO it's closer to a short range class in terms of the overall engagement ranges of the game.)

-And lastly adds. OMG adds. This entire game's difficulty comes down to "give you a reasonable challenge, then throw adds at you every 30 seconds so you can never actually focus on the biggest enemy threat." Playing solo right now, this design choice really stands out. A boss I could probably kill in under two minutes alone now takes 10 minutes as you get your couple shots off, then immediately have to evade your ass off and kill off adds, just in time to get a couple more shots in on the main guy before another wave of adds spawns.

Other than that, the game is minimal both from a design standpoint and a content standpoint.

1. The UI is slate grey, functional and boring. It does just enough to be functional and take up all the screen real estate and not a whit more.

2. Your options for things to do are: upgrade your guns' power level, upgrade your armor's defense level, slot different mods (i.e. abilities) in to either of your guns, sink some skill points in to health, stamina and for me, class resource regeneration traits. That's pretty much it. There's a very small list of gear options per class, and some new traits become available to put points in to as you progress through the game, but by and large that's it.

3. Remnant makes the most out of the levels you get offered that it can, and the difficulty of the opponents makes the levels feel much larger than they actually are. But there's a drab sameiness to everything in the game, that is only broken up by the fights and the occasional consumable item tucked away here and there, and the occasional chest filled with cash (scrap.) Once you've slain all the enemies in a particular "pack" or spot in the level, it feels barren and empty and bland to get through. Navigating in this game kind of sucks because everything looks the same and the levels have that randomly generated feel to them. Very few landmarks, no real sight lines, just a lot of densely packed buildings and rooms and corridors. It's the one thing multiple people who have just picked up the game or seen it played have commented on, is how as soon as the combat is over the game is enveloped in blandness. Where Dark Souls used its emptiness to evoke a sense of isolation and desolation, in Remnant all it evokes is a feeling that there's not enough content and soul to it.

I do give props for some of the ideas though. Randomly selecting minibosses to sprinkle throughout the level really makes the level layout matter when combat happens, especially against the nastier ranged opponents. Plunging ahead is dangerous as fuck as you'll quickly get overwhelmed by all the stuff that spawns and the various mechanics they bring to the table. So slow and meticulous it is, and that works for the game.

What it really misses from the Dark Souls formula is that, at least so far, most fights take place in wide open spaces OR you have the option of backpedaling through the whole level if need be. Level design matters in some instances but unlike Dark Souls it doesn't seem to try to challenge you by putting you in a shoebox with some enemies and asking you to survive. Or if it does, it's a very large and square shoebox. By the way they've designed the game, with so many adds, I guess they can't really do that anyways. Everything takes place on a flat plane, there's almost no verticality to the game I've seen. So while there's the visual window dressing that is average I'd say, the actual level geometry is nothing more than walls, some stuff to vault over and vast stretches of flatness. Whereas in Dark Souls it might take a specific enemy type and then use the environment to leverage that enemy's design in to something interesting (say a room with archers all on the top floors that refuse to come down and fight you), here it's just a spew of enemies in big open spaces and the response to most of them is all the same: dodge and shoot. I guess that's a consequence of random generation, is you can't hand craft challenges around your enemies.

The enemy design I'd say is also not very strong. They have that "Devil May Cry" look where they're weird and inscrutable but nothing really stands out about them. I've met one enemy I can see the details of clearly in my mind, but the rest are mostly organic looking messes of red and black.

All in all I'm not unhappy for what I paid and I'm glad to understand this newest thing to get labeled a soulslike. And I do find the combat somewhat engaging, if very frenetic because the game refuses to give you any breathing room or the tools you're used to having. I'm sure it's a lot more fun with friends than solo. I am still interested to see how the game opens up and changes once you get further in.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 05:09:45 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: December 09, 2019, 02:54:04 pm »

Started poking at Streets of Rogue again a while back, now that it's fully released and actually has an endgame and everything.

...so, now I've picked up every achievement, and completed every character's big quest.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: December 09, 2019, 05:03:35 pm »

Yeah, once you get down to it, Streets of Rogue appears to be a bigger game than it actually is.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: December 09, 2019, 05:05:57 pm »

I mean, this is still 100+ hours down the line, so I'm not complaining. I just haven't been doing a whole lot the past few days, and 100%'ing all of that has been a kind of mindless progression I could keep myself going for.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: December 09, 2019, 05:10:58 pm »

Once I more or less reached the end with one character I was like "Well what else is there other than each class' big quest."

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: December 09, 2019, 07:26:54 pm »

Since I already went down the rabbit hole with Dawnstar, I decided to check out another mobile RPG from pre-smartphone days: Doom RPG.

It's so bizarre. It feels like I'm in a time warp. It feels like a video game from some alternate universe where as computers got stronger, design principles never advanced past 1985 or so. "Haha, that means it's an epic retro game for hardcore role-players, right?" No, I mean it feels like they had two people work on the same game without talking to eachother, and a third person combined all their ideas into the final product.

It's not a bad game by any means. It just feels like all of Tom Hall's cheesy nonsensical ideas from the early development of DOOM ended up in this game from beyond the grave.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 07:29:11 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: December 09, 2019, 07:38:14 pm »

So... It's what you get if you take a dungeon crawler and cross it with Doom?

... I feel like I'd actually play that. Or a turn-based version of Grimrock.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: December 09, 2019, 09:10:26 pm »

So... It's what you get if you take a dungeon crawler and cross it with Doom?

... I feel like I'd actually play that. Or a turn-based version of Grimrock.
DoomRL is a thing. It's Doom, but a roguelike. It's pretty awesome.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: December 10, 2019, 03:11:53 am »

DungeonDoom is also a thing, except nobody's heard of it and I don't know if it's even possible to play anymore.

Total conversion of Doom 3 into a FPS roguelite.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: December 10, 2019, 07:17:14 am »

There are also Zdoom/GZdoom mods that can bring roguelike elements into old Doom too, by example some of them :

- Oblige (+ Obaddon ) -> for the random maps
- Doom RPG SE -> for the skills/leveling/shops/etc.. system
- DoomRL Arsenal -> classes/items/weapons/assembies system from DoomRL in Doom

There are also several randomizer mods around, some crazy like Aeons of Death
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 07:19:16 am by Robsoie »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 101