Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Candy Virgin  (Read 2714 times)

Quicunque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Candy Virgin
« on: April 08, 2018, 01:53:09 pm »

Praise the miners! I found my first Candy. I have extracted the precious strands and smelted them into wafers. Now the question: what to do with the rare metal? More to the point: Should I make mail at a cost of 6 wafers, but only with a 2 armor rating, or breastplate at a cost of 9, but with a rating of 3? Is the extra armor rating worth the extra expense?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
Re: Candy Virgin
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 01:57:39 pm »

Edged weapons. Arm your whole military with adamantine axes, swords, and spears.

Quicunque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 02:07:56 pm »

Thank you for the quick reply, Lord of Bastiongate! I will certainly arm the militia with sharp Candy. I am also curious as to the better investment with regards to armor: chain or plate?

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 02:09:45 pm »

I've heard good things about adamantine robes over the more classical steel chain.

~Yami
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

MorsDux

• Bay Watcher
  • If you only have a hammer, all problems seem nails
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 02:38:06 pm »

wont robes decay? If not, they sound nice!

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 02:45:25 pm »

Edged weapons. Arm your whole military with adamantine axes, swords, and spears.

Disregard this advice. Make blunt weapons. Arm your military with adamantine maces.

Just kidding, don't actually do that. Adamantine is quite light, so adamantine clubs and such aren't that great at their job.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 02:57:25 pm »

Disregard this advice. Make blunt weapons. Arm your military with adamantine maces.

Just kidding, don't actually do that. Adamantine is quite light, so adamantine clubs and such aren't that great at their job.
Stupid joke.  I've removed the transparency indicator from the post.

As the serious posters have mentioned, sharp weaponry first. Since adamantine clothing decays in vanilla they're a waste of a very limited resource, but can probably be a good alternative if adamantine clothing decay is DFHacked away.

If I understand it correctly, the problem with adamantine armor is that against blunt force it's practically useless. Adamantine chain on top of a steel chain one ought to be a good combination, or an adamantine mail under a steel breastplate. It ought to fit well with steel greaves. Adamantine breast plates are probably a waste of material better spent elsewhere.
However, there are people who have tried to figure out the optimal combination, and they'll probably provide better advice.

Justin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 03:41:41 pm »

The best armor is steel, as far as I'm concernced. Precious candy should be used for moods, and edge weapons.

MorsDux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 05:15:51 pm »

Steel for rigid armor pieces. Adamantine for mail shirt methinks.
So far i killed thousands of goblins and other beasts and i dont remember any of my dwarves being hit. They are about invincible within 2 years game time.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 07:16:34 pm »

So far i killed thousands of goblins and other beasts and i dont remember any of my dwarves being hit. They are about invincible within 2 years game time.
Since about 0.42, even the greatest warriors can get worn down by numbers. Armor does help when your dwarves get really tired.

MorsDux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 11:37:28 am »

If they pass out their helm gets removed and they die pretty fast after that. Also no armor might help them get tired later. I didnt try this tho.

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 01:20:20 pm »

Although unmodded non-artifact candy clothes aren't great, I would suggest making some into cloth for moods. Candy gloves will be relatively worthless, but a robe, coat, or dress would be quite good.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 01:27:22 pm »

Although unmodded non-artifact candy clothes aren't great, I would suggest making some into cloth for moods. Candy gloves will be relatively worthless, but a robe, coat, or dress would be quite good.
Are you sure candy cloth is used for modes, given that the cloth type for the mode is fixed to plant/wool/silk, i.e. is there a candy (metal) category as well? Also, I would more or less expect the buggers to use the cloth for dressing wounds if given a chance...

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2018, 01:33:06 pm »

This seems like good advice. Looking back over my armor stocks, other categories have some worn items that took combat damage, but not the shirts or the shields. And it might be unwise to make an adamantine shield, since the shield is often used as a blunt weapon.

Plus, making adamantine mail shirts is so LOTR.

Can anyone confirm that they've seen a piece of worn adamantine armor? I'm wondering if the material properties reduce or eliminate the chance of wear.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2018, 02:16:15 pm »

Are you sure candy cloth is used for modes, given that the cloth type for the mode is fixed to plant/wool/silk, i.e. is there a candy (metal) category as well? Also, I would more or less expect the buggers to use the cloth for dressing wounds if given a chance...
Clothiers and Weavers will demand adamantine cloth if any is available
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: [1] 2