Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 183

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 271159 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"
« Reply #2595 on: January 12, 2024, 07:52:33 pm »

Is that right? 80k posts/year is only like 220 a day.  Surely it's more than that, isn't it?
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: January 12, 2024, 08:07:37 pm »

Is that right? 80k posts/year is only like 220 a day.  Surely it's more than that, isn't it?

Nope. Unless the forum statistics are blatantly wrong, that number should be accurate.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: January 12, 2024, 10:53:08 pm »

Dunno. As long as there is Dwarf Fortress, the forum will survive. It'll be a dim core of its former self, like a white dwarf (the star type) but I doubt it'd just die. Even the lower boards-- people will trickle in slowly, I suppose.

That big decline starting in 2015? It was the niche-fication of the forum system.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: January 12, 2024, 11:46:00 pm »

Yeah, B12 is a vestige of the older internet. Forums like this were all over the place, but its been more centralised now. Forums have been replaced by subreddits and Discord servers.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: January 13, 2024, 12:15:13 am »

The third-party stuff was not enough to sink Reddit (I find myself coming back to it and using it), but if it does truly collapse then forums won't really resurge, I think.

The next gen of social media seems to be decentralized stuff like Lemmy and Mastodon.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: January 13, 2024, 04:34:54 am »

All this social media stuff is pretty crap, I don't get why there aren't more forums around they seem like friendlier places than those big shit holes.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: January 13, 2024, 06:46:16 am »

All this social media stuff is pretty crap, I don't get why there aren't more forums around they seem like friendlier places than those big shit holes.

Welp, unless Bay12 suddenly becomes more visible, then the places with astronomically more visibility will get all the attention. It isn't about quality, it is about commonality.

Maybe we could like, find forums at the edge of death and convince its leftover members to come here in an attempt to mimic stellar rejuvenation? Though, those dying forums themselves would be a rare resource at this late of a stage at internets centralisation.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: January 13, 2024, 07:06:59 am »

Mastodon is much nicer than Twitter was ngl. Depends on the instance of course.

On my instance I see the same like, 20 people every time.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: January 13, 2024, 07:34:09 am »

And 5 of those 220 are mine...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: January 13, 2024, 03:37:53 pm »

Bruh we used to be like 7 people who were actually active here, and Armok was 3 of them. This place is ludicrously active, I haven't been able to keep up with it for years.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: January 13, 2024, 03:55:17 pm »

Bruh we used to be like 7 people who were actually active here, and Armok was 3 of them. This place is ludicrously active, I haven't been able to keep up with it for years.

The numbers don't lie though.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2606 on: January 13, 2024, 04:19:39 pm »

All things must end one day. Appreciate it while you got it

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: January 13, 2024, 04:35:39 pm »

Are you saying Kaguses lie then? Nay, it's them thar numbers. They see the past through rose-tinted glasses. They get wobbly with age. Don't trust them with your money.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: January 13, 2024, 04:40:53 pm »

Kagi!
let

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: January 13, 2024, 08:14:14 pm »

What numbers? You don't even list 2008, I joined in 2007* :P

Besides, I'm not trying to claim that a downward trend is inaccurate... Just that I'll be perfectly comfortable once it's down to a manageable number again!

*Probably. There was some date-of-registration funkiness around the time of the Great Migration, so some of us lost our proper registration dates, but it's as good a guess as any
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 183