Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 180

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 218915 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"
« Reply #2010 on: August 03, 2022, 07:10:27 pm »

With enough Southern accent:  We're mites living off of our gut foru.
(Which is symbiotic, as opposed to our infamously parasitic relationship with our mitochondria (Parasite Eve (tm)))
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: August 04, 2022, 01:03:46 am »

But if forumites are actually mites, what do they live on?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: August 04, 2022, 01:04:14 am »

The flesh of the world
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: August 04, 2022, 09:54:27 am »

More like its dead skin flakes.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: August 05, 2022, 08:19:14 am »

"Titanium" is such a bobo sales argument... Rare are the cases a good steel can't do what titanium does. And everytime I see titanium on a consumer product that's not going to be implanted into a body or something, it's just a metal object... I can't help but be reminded of an acquaintance... The dude could be browsing something out of boredom the second he stumbles across one in the list with titanium the value proposition shoots up 69000% in his head, and he starts religiously hailing that brand as a beacon of quality.
let

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: August 05, 2022, 10:31:04 am »

Nothing clears my head like a few hours of cutting up fallen trees into firewood and hauling loads of them back to the woodpile on my tractor, even in hot, humid weather.  Followed of course by a nice shower to wash the poison ivy oils off my arms before it sets in.  The song "Complicated" by Avril Lavigne running through my head (aimed at myself).
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: August 05, 2022, 11:17:24 am »

"Titanium" is such a bobo sales argument... Rare are the cases a good steel can't do what titanium does. And everytime I see titanium on a consumer product that's not going to be implanted into a body or something, it's just a metal object... I can't help but be reminded of an acquaintance... The dude could be browsing something out of boredom the second he stumbles across one in the list with titanium the value proposition shoots up 69000% in his head, and he starts religiously hailing that brand as a beacon of quality.
Good steel can't bend like titanium stuff does, 'least in my experience, though there's probably similar bendy metals that works just as well.

... not sure what it's good for besides glasses frames, but at least from what I've encountered it's genuinely significantly better for those than even good steel (and a metric fuckton better than anything not-metal), with a price difference that's not actually that much. Doubled or less price point for something that lasts 10x longer is generally a good deal if you can afford the upfront cost :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: August 05, 2022, 11:50:54 am »

Mechanical properties of some fancier steel alloys, at almost half the density, is nothing to sneer at. If you're making something that cares about weight more than price.
But if one's buying titanium jewellery/gadgets at some crazy markup because they're high on technobabble, that's probably not a terribly level-headed person.

Btw, I dislike the word beacon. It looks wrong, it sounds wrong. It feels wrong. Whenever I see it, I mentally replace it with bacon.
The bacon of quality. The best kind. (the shining bacon I would probably stay away from, though)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: August 05, 2022, 12:49:33 pm »

We're talking about things I can't describe other than lifestyle objects and gadgets. IDK like fancy boxes and hulls, stuff with metal finish that doesn't actually need metal, smoking accessories, and overpriced all in one camping tools, and that sort of stuff he's all crazy about.

Window frames like the part around the glass that's gets anchored into the pvc? I'm pretty sure that's aluminium
let

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: August 05, 2022, 01:25:56 pm »

Titanium-style frames for bicycles are pretty sweet.  It combines the lightness of rigid aluminum with the natural shock absorption of heavy steel.  My dad's titanium mountain bike had a high upfront cost, but he made good use of it while he could.  The frame is still in perfect condition because it doesn't rust at all.  It's like aluminum that way, except that aluminum is ruined if any impact overcomes its rigidity.  Titanium and steel bounce back.

Maybe I should get back into off-road cycling.  That beautiful bike is wasted in his garage since he lost his leg.  I don't have to go straight back into half pipes and bunny hops, it'd be like my nature walks but covering a lot more distance.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: August 05, 2022, 01:45:45 pm »

In sports equipment titanium shocks me less. One thing I don't know about it, are all titaniums equal? I was able to find out there are different types, but can you have shoddy and good batches, or does that idea relate more to messing up some sort of fancy steel? Like I can't imagine copper and zinc (zinc right?^^) alloys, so bronze and it's cousins are much subject to such quality differences, seems to me there you'd only get cheated out of right mixture proportions if that's profitable, but that the end product is bound to be very similar as long as you mixed similar proportions. Yeah but titanium on the other hand seems to be more complex on a metallurgical level, so isn't it bound to greater quality variations?

I don't know much about metalurgy but I allways found it fascinating. It's one of the parts I really enjoyed discovering alongside DF.
let

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: August 05, 2022, 04:29:08 pm »

In sports equipment titanium shocks me less. One thing I don't know about it, are all titaniums equal? I was able to find out there are different types, but can you have shoddy and good batches, or does that idea relate more to messing up some sort of fancy steel? Like I can't imagine copper and zinc (zinc right?^^) alloys, so bronze and it's cousins are much subject to such quality differences, seems to me there you'd only get cheated out of right mixture proportions if that's profitable, but that the end product is bound to be very similar as long as you mixed similar proportions. Yeah but titanium on the other hand seems to be more complex on a metallurgical level, so isn't it bound to greater quality variations?

I don't know much about metalurgy but I allways found it fascinating. It's one of the parts I really enjoyed discovering alongside DF.

copper + zinc = brass, so they do alloy.

There are various alloys of titanium, in particular with steel, copper, vanadium and molybdenum. The one used in the SR-71 Blackbird was made to be less hard so it could be machined more easily. Titanium was chosen there, not lightly either due to its expense of acquisition and difficulty in machining, because it is far lighter than steel which is great for aircraft but has comparable strength. They even had to pull some Cold War trickery to buy the rutile ore surreptitiously through intermediaries from the Soviet Union, who of course wouldn't otherwise sell it them so they could build a fighter jet. There is also titanium nitride, a very hard material used for machine tools. I don't know much about batch-to-batch variation in titanium.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 04:38:32 pm by bloop_bleep »
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: August 06, 2022, 08:08:53 am »

If there's not already a thread for that in FG&RP or creative projects, you'd probably be more than welcome to make one in one of those boards.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: August 13, 2022, 03:02:21 pm »

when the poster above you is hot  :-*
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 180