Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 180

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 218965 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"
« Reply #1065 on: September 03, 2020, 11:38:26 pm »

Your body is the thing housing your brain, which in turn is the maker of your mind, a collection of thoughts that perceives itself, at least that’s what I think a mind is. Anyways, my question is why are you talking about your body like it’s not part of you?
The body (and brain!) is just a fleshy prison for the mind and/or soul, depending on your views.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: September 04, 2020, 12:17:56 am »

Your body is the thing housing your brain, which in turn is the maker of your mind, a collection of thoughts that perceives itself, at least that’s what I think a mind is. Anyways, my question is why are you talking about your body like it’s not part of you?
The body (and brain!) is just a fleshy prison for the mind and/or soul, depending on your views.   
Without the body or brain, the mind wouldn’t exist, as the brain is required to make it

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: September 04, 2020, 12:31:49 am »

That's a little surprising!  I assumed you'd believe in the idea of moving minds from place to place.
Minds pause, and the body changes in the interim.  Theoretically, we could be copied to a different medium, someday.
Not that I have much hope for that, and it's probably terrifying.  Transporter conundrum and all that.  Dunno, I'm kinda over it.
This as a nutshell.
I rarely have this body when I dream.  I've also had some trouble with it in the past.  Impulses close to anorexia in high school, fainting spells.  But since then, we've done pretty alright aside that one discrepancy on my face.

I think it's reasonable to say that I am not my body.  Mind/body dualism is an ancient philosophical concept.  Apparently my subconscious still likes to imagine leaving my body for a while.
Hm.  Perhaps the trinary mind/body/soul concept could work as mind/body/subconscious instead.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: September 04, 2020, 12:54:38 am »

This is a good point though, the body determines the mind just as the mind determines the body!  It's, well, hubris to think otherwise.  Beyond the body being the source of all 5 senses (and the other ones) it also floods the mind (brain housing the mind) with countless hormones.  The mind is undeniably altered when flooded with adrenaline, but most effects are more subtle.

The subconscious is also housed in the brain, but I still think it's a discrete part of the whole person.  To invoke a trope I usually resent, it could be like Wisdom in Dungeons and Dragons:  Passive perception and insight.  Ideas which just occur, rather than being dissected under study.
Well, that might be why I always hated the WIS/INT dichotomy.  In real life you really need both to figure out the meaningful problems.  (Hence "sleep on the problem" being standard advice in STEM fields)
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: September 05, 2020, 10:59:19 pm »

I'm going to college soon. Slightly worried.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: September 06, 2020, 05:26:50 am »

What are you taking?
Love, scriver~

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: September 06, 2020, 06:34:42 am »

What are you taking?

Classes, probably.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: September 06, 2020, 06:25:31 pm »

What are you taking?

Classes, probably.
What kind of weak-ass college is this?!   
The answer is drugs, obviously. Jeez.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: September 07, 2020, 01:57:27 am »

What are you taking?

Classes, probably.
What kind of weak-ass college is this?!   
The answer is drugs, obviously. Jeez.   

2 bags of grass
75 pellets of mescaline
5 sheets of high-powered blotter acid
1 saltshaker half-full of cocaine
1 galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, and laughers
1 quart of tequila
1 quart of rum
1 case of beer
1 pint of raw ether
2 dozen amyls
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: September 07, 2020, 02:26:07 am »

If settle for doing one amy
Love, scriver~

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: September 07, 2020, 02:37:24 am »

Settle down, we're enrolling in college, not covering the Mint 400.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: September 07, 2020, 02:41:40 am »

Bring a bag of coffee and a few packs of gum.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: September 07, 2020, 04:11:56 am »

Check local oriental markets for Ramen that has more than just flavor powder. They're still cheap but not fucking awful, this is assuming a supermarket is inconvenient, as it was at my university. Otherwise just buy instant noodles and throw a few veggies in there to have something comparable to a real meal.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: September 07, 2020, 09:38:31 am »

Oh heck yeah.  Premium ramen is nice, with separate little packets of seaweed and good spices.  Still best to add some ingredients in, for nutrition, but they at least taste like something more than salty MSG on their own.

I mean, no judgement.  I have consumed loads of unadulterated ramen in my time.  But it's mysteriously unfilling, isn't it?
She/they

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: September 07, 2020, 02:13:21 pm »

I just eat the cheap ramen and add additional spices. Is it really a good idea to pay more for stuff you could conceivably add on your end? The noodles are going to be pretty much the same stuff either way.
You can also try cracking an egg into the boiling water and stirring it around with the noodles. I've put a splash of milk in the past few times. There's a lot of room for lateral improvement with the cheat stuff!
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 180