Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 180

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 219006 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"
« Reply #960 on: July 17, 2020, 07:58:26 pm »

I was thinking about Cicada 3301 and wondered what other internet puzzles exist, ones that haven’t been solved yet. Searching internet puzzles often brings Cicada 3301 up, those 3 puzzles have been solved. What would I search to find new code puzzles?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: July 17, 2020, 08:29:53 pm »

Idea I had the other day: a VR device that's compatible with a rowing machine.   
So you can be getting whatever normal workout you're after on the machine, but what you're seeing is, say, the dank belly of an ancient galley or similar boat, with virtual shouts and chants (or cracks of a whip) driving you on until you really feel the burn. Also, admire the medieval scenery passing by outside between reps!

Obviously it wouldn't be much of a game or terribly interactive, but it could be pretty novel. I dunno, this is just a vague, barebones idea at this point.   

Hmm. Hmmmmm. Yes.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: July 17, 2020, 10:28:59 pm »

Give the client network ability, race people, or don't workout when there is nobody online  :D

You've heard about what's going on for Tour de France, right?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: July 18, 2020, 01:37:49 am »

I'm watching through the episodes of the Extra History series on Youtube, highly recommend it.

I got up to the episodes about Japan's warring states era, the Sengoku Jidai, and came across a common thing that comes up in these things, which really doesn't make any sense. One of the Oda clan generals, Toyotomi Hideyoshi, started as a peasant, then became a servant of the Oda clan, starting as a sandal bearer for Oda Nobunaga, quickly becoming promoted, eventually becoming one of the top generals of the era.

Now, the thing is, even some fairly serious discussions of his rise seem to overly focus on the sandal-bearer point, for example Extra History here says "he must have been really good at carrying shoes" to get promoted, and in this example and others, depict him as some goofy guy who's really good at shoe-carrying therefore somehow just lucked into becoming a general. This is plainly silly. Say someone started as a burger-flipper but worked their way up to be Vice President of McDonalds, if you said "wow, you must be really good at flipping burgers to have made it this far" that would be insulting and ridiculous.

The deeper point here is a common misconception: people don't understand how promotions work. We have this working conceptual model that do good at current job = promotion, so when we see someone like Toyotomi Hideyoshi rising from sandal bearer to general, we somehow assume that his ability to arrange shoes was at all relevant to the process. In fact, someone who's the perfect sandal bearer would probably have been low on mental ability but very committed to their role, and would never be promoted. Oda Nobunaga had close contact with all his servants and probably pointed to Toyotomi Hideyoshi and said "this guy: why are we wasting him as a sandal bearer, he's clearly better than that", regardless of how good he was at the current job, which wasn't even relevant.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 01:56:27 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: July 18, 2020, 03:26:27 am »

But jokes Reelya

Jokes

Laugh, smile, goodly tummy feels

Edit:
Give the client network ability, race people, or don't workout when there is nobody online  :D

I haven't, does it unvikve thunder?
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: July 18, 2020, 03:33:32 am »

Saw this thing a while ago, it's interesting looking at how many counting systems there are in use on Earth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4bmZ1gRqCc

... then it makes the point that Klingon is effectively a really basic clone of the Anglophone number system just with different words, so it's much less exotic than real Earth systems. So Klingons only use base 10, and have a word for thousands and a word for millions, etc etc. Not to mention that even English is a mishmash of base 10, base 12 and base 20 (score) systems here and there. So the lucky ancient Klingons went "ok so it's base 10 with thousands, millions and billions etc, nice neat system, no caveats needed", which shows the actual paucity of flavor in most of our sci fi stuff.

So, you are telling me that a 90s Interplay computer game, Set in the ToS timeline, has better cultural color in it than the actual series does?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b92UBqonYj4

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: July 18, 2020, 07:32:29 am »

I have a dumb idea that sounds good, but has a fatal problem with it: The desktop version of the GTX 1650 comes with 896 CUDA cores. However, the laptop version (which I will call the GTX 1650M) comes with 1024 CUDA cores. They use the same die, TU117, which means that in theory, it may be possible to unlock those extra CUDA cores on a 1650 by flashing the 1650M BIOS onto it. Then just use MSI Afterburner to "overclock" the card back to stock, and presto, you've unlocked CUDA cores!

Two problems, though: it would be limited to 50W rather than the stock 75W, which you can't do anything about, since the BIOSes for Turing cards are encrypted, and nothing so far can edit them. And reportedly, the 1650M reportedly doesn't have video outputs of its own, which throws a huge wrench in my whole plan. You'd end up bricking your card.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: July 18, 2020, 11:01:40 am »

Edit:

I haven't, does it involve thunder?
Introducing, in the midst of an unprecedented pandemic crisis, for the first time ever: Tour de France Online!

Apparently I missed just about all of this, the virtual games have been going since the 4th and are finishing up tomorrow  :P

I was so ready for this to be a colossal glitchfest considering the rush job and the scope of the project they were pitching... Haven't seen any of the actual footage yet

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: July 18, 2020, 11:16:59 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:27:52 pm by dragdeler »
let

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: July 19, 2020, 11:18:17 am »

That reminded me I recently saw this thing pointing out that for Red Dead Redemption (not sure if 1 or 2) they put magnets on railings so that when you shoot people the ragdoll physics are much more likely to send them tumbling over the railing. So in order to make more satisfying deaths, the railings effectively have their own localized gravity / tractor beams.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 11:19:48 am by Reelya »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: July 19, 2020, 01:32:07 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:27:56 pm by dragdeler »
let

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: July 19, 2020, 04:01:24 pm »

Moving sports online would remove everything that's fun about them

You know, exactly like with online "sports".
Love, scriver~

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: July 20, 2020, 03:21:26 am »

If we put all sports online then we won't have to pay those people so much money, I don't get why they get so much money anyway.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: July 20, 2020, 03:30:38 am »

Are you kidding me? Professional gamers also make a ridiculous amount of money.
Love, scriver~

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: July 20, 2020, 06:31:33 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:27:59 pm by dragdeler »
let
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 180