Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 180

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 218950 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"
« Reply #630 on: February 06, 2020, 01:13:39 pm »

Didn't that whole thing start with an equipment malfunction on a live-action film?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: February 09, 2020, 10:41:38 pm »

Of all the artificial cultural events people participate in, Oscars (and other awards shows) make the least sense to me. How empty must your life be if you need to see your favorite piece of media win a trophy? Isn't just liking a movie good enough for anyone anymore?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: February 09, 2020, 11:16:37 pm »

Of all the artificial cultural events people participate in, Oscars (and other awards shows) make the least sense to me. How empty must your life be if you need to see your favorite piece of media win a trophy? Isn't just liking a movie good enough for anyone anymore?

It isn't for the public, at least not originally. It's for the people in the industry to recognize technical improvements in their products (more like an overblown trade show than anything) which has also been made a publicized spectacle to reinforce the perceived influence of an institutionalized subset of the industry while others use it as a form of advertisement.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: February 09, 2020, 11:21:04 pm »

I’m wondering if it would be possible to introduce genetic diversity in goldfish by letting different breeds procreate with each other, since all goldfish are the same species, this might be possible. I am not a fish keeper, I’m just researching goldfish since my college has them

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: February 10, 2020, 06:11:08 am »

They made the LoTR films using various tricks to make the hobbit (and dwarf!) actors look tiny, so why not make a movie where Peter Dinklage (or perhaps another actor of small stature, but I don't know of any apart from Mickey from Seinfeld and the world's smallest woman who was in AHS, which might be a little too far-fetched) plays someone of a more regular height?

I mean, maybe he wouldn't even want to do that, but if he hypothetically did.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: February 10, 2020, 07:11:19 am »

I’m wondering if it would be possible to introduce genetic diversity in goldfish by letting different breeds procreate with each other, since all goldfish are the same species, this might be possible. I am not a fish keeper, I’m just researching goldfish since my college has them

Yes and no. All goldfish can be bred to one another and produce offspring, but the different breeds are based on common mutations that give them specific appearances. If you mix say a non-fancy shubunkin and a black moor (who are all fancy) then most of the offspring will be neither shubunkins or black moors, so the desired traits are lost or jumbled up.

Normal golfish have pretty good genetic diversity already and are actually very healthy creatures as aquarium fish go, the various breeds have varying health defects based on the mutations they have, but you can't get rid of those because they're part of the breed of fish. Fancy goldfish in general suffer from more swimbladder problems due to their inflated swimbladder which gives them the distinctive egg shaped look, pearscales have an even more swollen swimbladder and more problems to go with it, twintails have swimming problems, fantails have swimming problems and are prone to minor fin damage, telescopes are slightly more likely to get eye infections and so on.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: February 10, 2020, 07:17:58 am »

And bubble eyes are just kind of generally fucked?

I don't know anything about fancy fish, I just always felt bad for those things when seeing them in restaurant aquariums...

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: February 10, 2020, 07:23:58 am »

So it might be possible to breed out the bubble eye mutation or the celestial eye mutation? Why did people think it was a good idea to force fish to always look up?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Love, scriver~

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: February 10, 2020, 07:59:28 am »

So it might be possible to breed out the bubble eye mutation or the celestial eye mutation? Why did people think it was a good idea to force fish to always look up?

Why did people breed pugs? Or poodles?

Celestial eyes are quite an old breed by this point, and not even particularly unhealthy, bubbles eyes need more care but aren't too bad if kept properly.

The mutations could be bred out, but it would be easier to just not breed fancy goldfish anymore. All the aesthetic qualities of fancies come with some sort of (usually minor) health problem. That said for most the health problems are insignificant, kept in proper conditions most fancies can easily live to the full 10 year lifespan of a goldfish, and if kept with other fancies they suffer few, if any, noticeable quality of life issues.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: February 10, 2020, 09:24:51 am »

The "best" part is, they don't have awards for what the general public thought of the movie. I think they tried, but not enough people cared when they were asked. So these are awards for the opinions of a bunch of old dudes nobody cares about, for a thing pretty much nobody cares to give awards for.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: February 10, 2020, 09:36:23 am »

They made the LoTR films using various tricks to make the hobbit (and dwarf!) actors look tiny, so why not make a movie where Peter Dinklage (or perhaps another actor of small stature, but I don't know of any apart from Mickey from Seinfeld and the world's smallest woman who was in AHS, which might be a little too far-fetched) plays someone of a more regular height?

I mean, maybe he wouldn't even want to do that, but if he hypothetically did.

Since dwarfism is often accompanied by the person having a very disproportionate body, my guess is that LoTR era tricks/technology could only be used to a fraction of the available actor/actress pool without exaggerating said body issues.

With modern era technology however these issues are probably quite trivial to deal with. They could just use a fully cgi body just like they often do with normal sized actors/actresses anyway. The question now is whether it makes economic sense or not.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: February 10, 2020, 11:11:15 am »

I mean... Just watch Infinity War to get an (exaggerated) example of how that can work out.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: February 10, 2020, 01:54:18 pm »

Cotton Eye Joe is one of those overplayed dance numbers played at school dances and weddings and the like

But did you know who made the song? An group called Rednex... from Sweden
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: February 10, 2020, 02:33:29 pm »

...yes? ABBA is also Swedish. Avicii too.

If you're referring to the peculiarity of Scandinavians producing redneck/cowboy/hick culture, rather than just making popular party songs, then OH BOY DO I HAVE NEWS FOR YOU.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 180