Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 180

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 218973 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"
« Reply #420 on: November 22, 2019, 08:23:55 am »

Also, pretty sure they got the police-police thing wrong. The Buffalo Buffalo thing has 8 Buffalos, and they claim that the word police 8 times in a row similarly makes sense. However:

Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo

meaning:

Buffalo-city-bison, (who) Buffalo-city-bison bully, (also) bully Buffalo-city-bison

Which is three meanings of "Buffalo". Whereas "Police" only has two meanings to play with, so if you substitute "cop" for the police noun and "control" for the police verb then using the same structure you can only get:

police police police, police police

cops (who) cops control, (also) control cops

Which is 5, and at a stretch you can extend that to 7 "police"

cops (who) cops control, (also) control cops (whom) cops control

But you can do the same with the Buffalo

Buffalo-city-bison, (who) Buffalo-city-bison bully, (also) bully Buffalo-city-bison (whom) Buffalo-city-bison bully

Meaning 11 Buffalos. But there is literally no construction i can find where exactly 8 "police" makes grammatical sense. seems like a research fail.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 08:26:56 am by Reelya »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: November 22, 2019, 09:10:14 am »

"English is a difficult language"

*uses only examples of how geniusly simply English is*

"I before e except after c, and h preceeded by t, go fuck yourself thief."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: November 22, 2019, 12:56:41 pm »

What? Thief complies with the I before E rule.

Whenever I see English speakers complaining about that rule it's never actually seems to be any complaints that's relevant, like for sounds that the rule isn't even about
Love, scriver~

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: November 22, 2019, 01:15:31 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:18:43 pm by dragdeler »
let

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: November 22, 2019, 01:26:06 pm »

Whenever I see English speakers complaining about that rule it's never actually seems to be any complaints that's relevant, like for sounds that the rule isn't even about

If you drop the middle bit that catches Thief, you miss theist/theism-related words and their.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: November 22, 2019, 11:24:06 pm »

The main difference there is that "theist" is a double-vowel, the-ist, whereas thief is not. It would actually make it more confusing to force both to conform to the same spelling. How would you say "theif"? The-if? Or just the same as thief? If so, it now makes how to pronounce "theist" less clear.

So, in other words, the fact that "theist" is actually two syllables is a legit reason it doesn't follow the spelling rules for combining vowel letters for single syllables.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 11:30:25 pm by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: November 23, 2019, 01:35:50 am »

If you drop the middle bit that catches Thief, you miss theist/theism-related words and their.

Reelya already answered satisfactory, but I'll add my words since it's was responded to me: That's exactly what I meant. Theist/theism and their are not the same sound as in thief and chief and grief and so on. The rule is about the ie=ee=i sound.

The only word I can think of off the top of my head that breake that rule is seize.
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: November 23, 2019, 03:30:41 am »

Yeah, pretty much.

Any "the letters must be in this certain order" rule is clearly sub-optimal. If letters are always in that order, then it's not actually conveying additional information. You're using more letters than are needed. Any possible ordering of letters should be valid, but they should have a unique meaning depending on the order.

Also, the "words should be spelt like they sound" argument is clearly not practical. Different people speak differently, both individually, regionally, and across time. "Fight" for example comes from the German "Fecht" and "Night" comes from the German "Nacht". They're spelt like that because that is in fact how people used to say them. The spellings are in fact a direct result of the "spell it like it sounds" point of view. We could change the spellings now, however different regions of English pronounce "night" a bit differently, so there would have to be a compromise, and in a couple hundred years the same argument will crop up, again, except now you'll have two alternative spellings for "night" which different people prefer.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 03:44:57 am by Reelya »

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: November 23, 2019, 04:08:21 am »

Here's one for you: χείρα / χήρα meaning hand / widow respectively. Both are pronounced as "heera", emphasis on on "hee", with the "a" sounding like the a in "back" . And then there is "χοίρος" meaning pig and is pronounced as "heeros" with the "o" like in drop.

Actually since we are at it "η","ι","υ","ει","οι","υι" are all pronounced as the 'ee" sound in "bee".

edit: These are Greek.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 02:42:57 pm by Ulfarr »
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: November 23, 2019, 09:39:19 am »

οι m8
Love, scriver~

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: November 23, 2019, 02:48:59 pm »

That would be either "όι m8" or "οϊ m8" :P

Both are kinda correct with such an informal phrase but the second form would be the most likely to be used.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: November 23, 2019, 03:25:46 pm »

I love how numbers can convey the information letters can 2 shorten words

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: November 23, 2019, 05:22:15 pm »

Is it still considered a number if we don't use it to represent a set amount of units?

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: November 23, 2019, 05:46:05 pm »

What I love about the i before e rule is weird breaks it for seemingly no reason, I guess you could say its..... a weird word

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: November 23, 2019, 08:35:15 pm »

It makes and eeeh sound not an eee sound
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 180