Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What do you do with gypsum  (Read 1411 times)

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What do you do with gypsum
« on: March 29, 2018, 05:17:27 pm »

I have tons of Gypsum all over my fortress, as I carved much of my workshops and such out of the soft yellow stone. I can't make crafts, blocks, or constructions out of the boulders, and there's only so much gypsum powder I need.

I guess I could cut it into Gypsum gems and encrust stuff with it. Other than that... catapult ammunition? Can I make Stone fall traps use it exclusively?

What do you guys do with it?

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do with gypsum
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 05:24:03 pm »

If you go into the'z' (status) menu, you can tab over to stones. If you switch gypsum to green (allowed) from red (restricted to specific use) then you can use it for crafts/constructions/etc.

But as far as what I do, I try and color code some portions of my fortress, and yellow is reserved for the nobles

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 07:16:29 pm »

You could always export the plaster, it's reasonably valuable if I remember right.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 07:24:36 pm »

You could always export the plaster, it's reasonably valuable if I remember right.

Especially packed into fancy bags, if you have plenty of caravan bought bins lying around or a already quite extensive textile industry.

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 07:32:41 pm »

Thanks for the tip for carving it. I always find that keeping an adequate supply of bags is tricky, so I'd rather not export them.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 05:42:05 am »

I guess it depends on how long you plan to play this fortress. You never know when you might need a ton of gypsum to make casts and then you've run out because of crafting/etc.   I guess it also depends on how many layers of gypsum you've been digging through.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 06:32:29 am »

You don't need plaster casts. Splints work fine.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 07:42:18 am »

You don't need plaster casts. Splints work fine.

Some folks have wood at a premium, also gypsum casts immobolise the patient where they can be kept clean while injuries heal rather than waddle around on crutches through muck and filth possibly back into danger.