Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If given the choice between this game and another game run by me... What would you want?

I still like Gridhood Bay12 edition despite its shortcomings
- 13 (81.3%)
The Gridland Survival sequel thing
- 2 (12.5%)
Fleshmancy! (It would require a smaller playerbase however)
- 1 (6.3%)
An RPG game about players being demigods.
- 0 (0%)
Something else
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 70

Author Topic: Gridhood: Bay12 edition. Its definitely dead now.  (Read 95015 times)

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Drecthul Commonwealth

4 Civilians harvest from the farmland at B7 with 4 Stone Farming Tools
1 Civilian will build a Stone Tool using a Stone Tool
4 Civilians will forage for Stone at C6 with 4 Stone Tools
2 Civilians will pray to Felius
4 Civilians will research Animal Domestication
Activate the Box of Eternal Cats once

With the development of what many Drecs are calling a 'tool-house' (the Stonemason's workshop), it was decided to embark on a large effort to collect enough stone to build this new innovative structure.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 04:25:09 am by RulerOfNothing »

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not trying to whine or be a rules lawyer or something.  Just pointing something interesting out to the GM.

On turn 23, the Nirii Dominion had Wooden Housebuilding at 15rp (proof of concept).  Then on turn 24 the Nirii put 5 more points of research in Wooden Housebuilding, completing the research.  Seems like Wooden Housebuilding must have taken between 16-20 rp to complete.

I am currently at 20 rp on Wooden Houses, and it is not complete.  Yes, I did research before deciding which housing path I wanted to take.  Apparently, I should have called it "Wooden Housebuilding", not "Wooden Houses?"  One of the advantages of being a late comer to the game is I get to look at the history of tech research and see what has worked and what has not.  Perhaps it's not really an advantage, and tech is weirder than we realize.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile

I actually slightly randomize a tech's cost for each individual player with a tendency to bump it up when its researched by additional people to discourage people from copying other players.

Alternatively, I don't even keep track of what things cost and just go with whatever "Feels correct" at any given time, and that I take a lot of bullshit shortcuts to keep updates manageable as opposed to killing this monster of a game off because people still have fun playing it. (This sure would explain why its so important to keep things secret)

Or maybe both. Or neither. There might be some statements in my previous update posts that contradict this too, or perhaps the are technically correct and only appear to contradict this?

... Honestly I'm surprised this game lasted as long as it did. These days it may or may not only exist for the sole purpose of keeping you motivated enough to update your own version of Gridhood now that I think about it.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Gridhood: Bay12 edition.
« Reply #978 on: June 19, 2018, 09:34:38 pm »

Snag... idly wonders if the Hamhams need anything, since they seem to be the only ones worshipping him lately.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: June 19, 2018, 09:53:11 pm »

Please continue updating it. It's fun. Oh, and if you lose interest, can you make someone else the GM to prevent the game from dying?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 10:06:01 pm by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Oblivion2007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I actually slightly randomize a tech's cost for each individual player with a tendency to bump it up when its researched by additional people to discourage people from copying other players.
Except this is kinda bullshit for basic techs like: fishing, farming, tool making, construction, etc. Essentially techs that everyone needs. I could understand doing that for more unique or strange techs to encourage civs to have different themes but for basic tech it just punishes people already behind. Like my civ for example. I started with basically no tech and I already have to catch up on construction and tool making which help to accelerate the growth rate. If I have to pay even more research points for those techs it is just going to put me at a greater disadvantage.

You also screwed up my food again (14-10)+12=16

Breiger Clan
4 civilians farm at E6 using 4 junk tools
2 civilians pray to Blarg
4 civilians continue to research Building Materials

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: June 20, 2018, 03:13:39 am »

The GM is very strict here.

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: June 20, 2018, 05:33:16 am »

The Hamptons
5 hams research Wooden Houses
3 hams pray to Snag at the shrine at I11.
2 forest rangers forage for wood at I10 with 2 junk tools.

Alternatively, I don't even keep track of what things cost and just go with whatever "Feels correct" at any given time, and that I take a lot of bullshit shortcuts to keep updates manageable as opposed to killing this monster of a game off because people still have fun playing it. (This sure would explain why its so important to keep things secret)

Or maybe both. Or neither. There might be some statements in my previous update posts that contradict this too, or perhaps the are technically correct and only appear to contradict this?

... Honestly I'm surprised this game lasted as long as it did. These days it may or may not only exist for the sole purpose of keeping you motivated enough to update your own version of Gridhood now that I think about it.
If you're not having fun... that sucks.  I suggest drastically changing things to make it more fun for you.  Maybe give everyone bonus research so we're not stuck at nearly the same tech level for months... I dunno.  You don't have to keep it going just on my account.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: June 20, 2018, 05:42:15 am »

We're slowly but surely moving forwards, though. Divine wars can easily destroy civs, though. Bonus research for 8 turns or so would be good to move things ahead so it is more fun.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 05:44:51 am by KittyTac »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: June 20, 2018, 09:51:28 am »

the dicription says that they build rage based structures on activation so I don't think that that will hurt your people.
triggers D11. Progress begins on the construction of a Cannon at D10

"Why do you zebras have to make me look like a fool, but worry not Octadians for I have a solution to the problem."
Blarg places a sheer cliff on C11, then he goes to D11 and smacks any of the zebras that are building the cannon.

(I'd be kind of sad if this game was to stop as I have enjoyed this game quite a bit.)
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: June 20, 2018, 02:44:44 pm »

Snag upgrades G10 into the Forest of a Billion Bees, a temperate rainforest full of magical honeybees. It is an excellent source of wood, honey, beeswax, and miscellaneous forest products.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: June 20, 2018, 10:18:02 pm »

A thought occurs. If someone else wants to try GMing this game, go ahead and do that... BEFORE I even want to stop running this game myself! Like, go ahead and make a thread in these forums with an alternate reality where the timeline splits in two at like turn 47 or whatever and everyone has all the FP and food and buildings and shit that they obtained in my game at the start of your new game thing. I'll even post a big old link in own game update to encourage people to check it out if you do it. In fact... Why doesn't EVERYONE do that?

I would like to make it abundantly clear that the above is NOT sarcasm. This is an actual thing I endorse.

(I promise that alternate realities run by other players will not compromise the canon Gridhood: Bay12 edition timeline.)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 10:38:28 pm by Supernerd »
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: June 20, 2018, 11:06:17 pm »

A question: Can artifacts be "in possession" of a civ or are they shared among everyone?

And about the "alternate universe" thing: Won't someone have to GM? What would happen to the god/civ that they played before GMing?

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: June 20, 2018, 11:35:20 pm »

Not only CAN artifacts be in possession of a civ, but they sort of have to be by default. Unless two civilizations decide to share one or something? I guess it could happen.

As for the alternate universe thing, obviously someone would need to GM it. If you can think of a way for it to work without a GM I'm all ears. As for what would happen to their god/civ... That is not for me to choose.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: June 20, 2018, 11:44:24 pm »

But why doesn't the artifact spoiler display what civilization possesses an artifact?
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 70