Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How can I increase the combat difficulty?  (Read 1471 times)

Express

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How can I increase the combat difficulty?
« on: March 15, 2018, 01:24:54 am »

I use the advanced world gen for each fort and understand all the modifiers, thus any suggestions are appreciated. I'm still fairly new to DF (only played for about a year) so I may be missing things.

I've tried increasing the megabeasts and such but doing so only kills the civilizations off if I set the history too long. Conversely, if I set the history to be only 2 years then most of the beasts haven't had time to grow (i'm assuming) since a dragon takes about 1000 years to reach its full size. So I'm a bit confused here you see. Too long of a history results in dead civilizations while short history results in tiny monsters (again, I'm assuming. Do megabeasts start off full size even with 2 year history?).

I've tried going to war with humans, elves, and dwarves but they all seem to wear mostly copper and some iron equipment. Is there anywhere to influence civilizations to make steel or even adamantine equipment? Something to make them a challenge because as it currently stands, I don't even have to worry about equipment quality. I just produce low quality iron/copper equipment and my small militia can take on anything without any loss or injury.

Any way to increase the appearance of forgotten beasts?

Any way to increase the size and frequency of sieges?

Any tips on making the combat harder for my dwarves is appreciated.

Thanks!

Express

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How can I increase the combat difficulty?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 01:26:53 am »

In my last fort, I really fancied the idea of a large hospital where I would be constantly treating dwarves. A fort where my militia had to be constantly replaced by drafted dwarves to protect the fort.

Alas my hospital is empty, and my militia take on twice as many humans and win without injury.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 01:54:34 am »

Read the wiki on modding, then if you're not sure of something, ask in the modding forum. Yeah, it's pretty easy to give a civ steel.

My worlds feature a civ of steel clad minotaurs and dark elves who grow an evil corruption of wood they call "grown steel" (closer to bronze really, but best not to argue the point with them). Fun, especially when you throw in natural archery and ambush skills. (I let elves have that too, gives them a chance in the good fight to save the rainforests).

Multiple bad guy civs means many times the chance of being sieges by someone. And throw in bad dwarves too for a chance of pace with humans and elves to fight off.

Well, like I say, it's all in the wiki and involves simple altering of numbers in plain text files full of notes.

Raid anyone who looks like they're aren't going to go to war with you.

Carch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 09:26:37 am »

embark on/bordering an evil territory. you'll be fighting more and undead tend to get back up again as long as it's within that territory.
Carch likes steel, tin, pewter, sharks for their sharp teeth, dragons for their possessive nature and magma smelters for their warm glow.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 09:34:11 am »

embark on/bordering an evil territory. you'll be fighting more and undead tend to get back up again as long as it's within that territory.
Not quite. Only a small subset of the evil regions are reanimating.

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 09:47:49 am »

And even then, the endless stream of zombie ravens was more annoying than challenging.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 02:28:59 pm »

Open creature_standard.txt in your dwarf fortress\raw\objects directory.

Edit the body sizes of goblins, elves and humans so they're 2 (5? 10? 50?) times their normal size, by messing with the numbers in the [BODY_SIZE] token.
Note that there are 3 bodysize tokens, you really only need to change the bottom one, which is for their maximum size. The others are their average size at birth, and their average size at 1 year and 68 days. It can't hurt to change those too, but I don't think it's required.
Their equipment should upscale with them. Not sure if there's a limit to that though.

Fiddling with the various [PHYS_ATT_RANGE] and [MENT_ATT_RANGE] values can also help make them extra strong, agile, spatially aware etcetera.
I do think that if you set those too high that you will get completely unbeatable enemies though. Making them bigger makes them more dangerous but still killable, making them unbelievably agile and strong and inexhaustable makes them both dangerous and unkillable. Tweak with care. The multiple values used here represent a bell curve around a median. Looking at the values for the human race will give you an idea of what is considered average amongst races.

Give them [TRAPAVOID]**, [NO_STUN] and [NO_FEAR] as well
More experienced modders can probably tell you how to give their civs access to steel too.

Now go to war with elves and humans (and goblins if for some reason they're not sieging you yet), and have more fun.

I do think you will need a new world, at least to get enemies with the new body sizes. I do believe you can add the trpavoid, no stun and no fear tokens without genning a new world though. All new units entering your map should have the new tokens.
However, if you want to try that on an existing world, you need the creature_standard.txt in you DF\data\save\raw\objects folder instead of your DF\raw\objects folder.

Helpful wiki page for aspiring creature modders: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Creature_token

**) note that trapavoid still leaves them vulnerable to lever/pressure plate-operated spike traps, and webbed traps. Giving them [WEBIMMUNE] fixes the latter.

EDIT: There used to be this mod that had all kinds of more dangerous, larger goblins. I believe it was called Ender's mod.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 02:35:13 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 03:56:46 pm »

How about fighting clowns?

Express

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 07:19:56 pm »

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I have to alter the text files after all.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 07:33:41 pm »

Its also worth noting that harassing people with raids can annoy them enough to send massive sieges if your fort is decently wealthy. The average quality doesn't change much, but sheer quantity can still make things more difficult.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

TheEqualsE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 09:56:12 pm »

I use the advanced world gen for each fort and understand all the modifiers, thus any suggestions are appreciated. I'm still fairly new to DF (only played for about a year) so I may be missing things.

I've tried increasing the megabeasts and such but doing so only kills the civilizations off if I set the history too long. Conversely, if I set the history to be only 2 years then most of the beasts haven't had time to grow (i'm assuming) since a dragon takes about 1000 years to reach its full size. So I'm a bit confused here you see. Too long of a history results in dead civilizations while short history results in tiny monsters (again, I'm assuming. Do megabeasts start off full size even with 2 year history?).

I've tried going to war with humans, elves, and dwarves but they all seem to wear mostly copper and some iron equipment. Is there anywhere to influence civilizations to make steel or even adamantine equipment? Something to make them a challenge because as it currently stands, I don't even have to worry about equipment quality. I just produce low quality iron/copper equipment and my small militia can take on anything without any loss or injury.

Thanks!

You get more forgotten beasts in larger worlds.  To get more of them to show up have a valuable fort and over pay the merchants for stuff you buy.

For more and bigger sieges first make sure you have contact with goblins when you embark, and then over pay the merchants.  They will brag to the world how much money they made and the goblins will hear about it.  I've had forts that were expensive not get attacked by goblins until they started trading a lot.

For more of a challenge mode turn large beasts all the way up, savagery most of the way up, and then don't let the world run for more than 250 years.  Almost all the forgotten beasts in the world should still be alive.  Then embark in an untamed wilds, home of the giant animals and animal people.  For extra fun find all three cavern layers and just leave them open to your fort.  Bonus points for making the fort live a long time to give more things a chance to show up.

If you do this please let us know how it works out.
Likes cats for their aloofness.

Express

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 09:37:28 pm »

Thanks!

You get more forgotten beasts in larger worlds.  To get more of them to show up have a valuable fort and over pay the merchants for stuff you buy.

For more and bigger sieges first make sure you have contact with goblins when you embark, and then over pay the merchants.  They will brag to the world how much money they made and the goblins will hear about it.  I've had forts that were expensive not get attacked by goblins until they started trading a lot.

For more of a challenge mode turn large beasts all the way up, savagery most of the way up, and then don't let the world run for more than 250 years.  Almost all the forgotten beasts in the world should still be alive.  Then embark in an untamed wilds, home of the giant animals and animal people.  For extra fun find all three cavern layers and just leave them open to your fort.  Bonus points for making the fort live a long time to give more things a chance to show up.

If you do this please let us know how it works out.

This has my interest. I definitely will do this. Currently I was creating a world with tons of megabeasts and such and raiding every civilization. I didn't know I had to trade lots of wealth to attract attention. I thought the fact that my fort is worth a few million was enough.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018, 10:45:34 pm »

Goblin wealth triggers have been switched off for years. They have one trigger, that's population 80 in vanilla (can be adjusted to whatever you like of course, but only if you dare the adventure that is text file editing). Raiding will provoke them into attacking earlier though (they'll bypass any triggers you have set on).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2018, 03:01:44 am »

Goblin wealth triggers have been switched off for years. They have one trigger, that's population 80 in vanilla (can be adjusted to whatever you like of course, but only if you dare the adventure that is text file editing). Raiding will provoke them into attacking earlier though (they'll bypass any triggers you have set on).
Well, the siege pop triggers can be changed from 3 = 80 to 2 = 50 or 1 = 20 (plus 4 and 5 for higher triggers), which isn't exactly "whatever you like", in particular for dead civs where you might not reach a pop of 20 with the starting 7 plus the two guaranteed migrant waves.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2018, 03:39:53 am »

Did somebody order more fun?

While somewhat old, here's a list of **FUN ENHANCING!** mod ideas people have tried in the past.

Killer bugbat swarms
Sky whales (Cant find, I goaded LoudWhispers to make them, and he said i was "worthy" when he finally did it. IIRC, he had them emit "joysnow")
Manamaids (Bust a sexy move!) (See also, Spawn of Holistic)

Or, you could just try playing .40d from the archived downloads page. :P  A little tentacle demon loving should cure your blues.
Pages: [1] 2